T/C 50 Cal Omega Loads

flycrewsupe

I just picked up my 50 cal T/C Omega and I am looking for some information on some loads that work well in them. I have been told 3 pellets of 777 with a 295 aero tip powerbelt works well on deer and elk. Any information that you may have would be helpful.Thanks
Gary

There are multiple threads pertainging to this, so you may want to research in previous posts.

Bottom line is that if your Omega shoots 3 pellets well, and you can withstand the recoil, power to you. You don't have to have near that much powder to kill deer/elk, and sometimes you lose accuracy. If you are going to use pellets, I would try 100 gr. That is plenty of power

Loose powder is cheaper and is legal in all states (Colorado doesn't allow pellets). You can also custom work up a load for your rifle that is most accurate. Mine shoots 348 aerotip powerbelts the best with 90 grains of 777 and I will be using that in Colorado for elk next fall.

Remember that 100gr of pyrodex in a pellet equals 100 grains of 777 in a pellet. However, you need to use 15% less of the loose powder. (100 grains of pyrodex = 85 grains of 777). Therfore my load of 90 gr of loose 777 is roughly equavalent to 105 grains of pyrodex.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-04 AT 10:12PM (MST)[p]There are lot of great sabot bullets our there for the 50. Power belts (very easy to load for the second shot, but the most expensive), Hornady SST, Precision bullets dead center, and much more and you will have to decide what you want to spend and what weight you need for the game you hunt. Of course if you target shoot the lighter bullet kicks less and use less powder. I like the 250 Grain Hornady SST I get from Mid South for $7.17 per 20. (It loads very tight and you have to be careful not to deform) It has a black MMF sabot and T/C sell the same under their name, but the PTX loads a little easier and it has the red sabot. I have seen and bought them for about $15 for 30. T/C recommends 100 Grains of Triple 7 with the XTP bullet and some of the Omega's come with it. I still cant decide if the hollow point or plastic tipped shoot better, but I shoot 250 grain bullets here in the East with 80 to 100 grains of Triple 7 in FF or FFF in pellets or loose, but the what is legal or convenient to you will dictate what you buy. You should try various primers also, I like the CCI reg. not magnum, and buy them by the thousand for reloading shotgun shells.
Have fun and shoot safe.

I shoot 3 pellets and 250 gr Barnes X in both my Encore and Omega. I have not had a problem with an elk getting up yet. My only issue with these weapons is not taking long shots. I have needed to track wounded elk before when a long shot is taken with a nominal load. Shoot as much power you can handle safely and be accurate. Good luck.

For white tales here in Delaware I use Pyrodex pellets two 50gr.and one 30gr. with Hornady 250gr. SST's and Remington 209-4 primers. Killed eight deer last year, three of them at 200 plus yds. None of these deer went more then 50yds. after being shot, some did not go at all. I have never recovered a SST bullet from a kill. They all go in and out, leaving a good blood trail.

I got great groups in the Omega I shot for a year with 110 - 115 grains of 777 ffg and a Cabelas 300 gr. Xtended range sabots. The bullet did a real number on the buck I shot in Idaho with it.

295 Grain Powerbelt and 110 Grains of 777 seem to be a load that many including myself find accurate in our TC Omega's.
Try it out and see if your barrel likes this. Fairly sure you should get great accuracy though.
Best,
Jerry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom