T/C Triumph question

E

Elkcrzy1

My dad is shooting a T/C Triumph w/ 223 gr powerbelts and 90 grains of FFF. He's having a little trouble w/ accuracy, anyone have experience with this ? Any ideas or experience would sure be great ! Thanks for the help !

Ditch the powerbelts and FFF powder. I have done extensive personal testing with different loads and bullets with the T/C Triumph, this is what I have found. 250 grain Barnes TSX bullets with 90 grains of Triple 7 Loose (not the pellets) is ideal. I have been able to maintain 1.5" groups at 150 (what I have sited in for) and good groups out to 300 yards. I personally took and antelope at 320 yards with this setup, although I would not condone this without lots of practice.

I tried the powerbelts at first, they just do not shoot well in this rifle, at least not anything close to what else is out there. If you must due to law shoot bore sized, try the other brands, Hornady FPD might be worth a try. They just did not fit snug enough in the barrel, imho, to shoot accurately.

Another powder worth considering, as I did like this one also, is Black horn 209. Close toss up between this and Triple 7, easier to clean so worth considering.

There is no "one load" for any particular rifle, especially T/C rifles and conicals. Only by experimenting with different bullets and powders will you find the "sweet spot" for that particular gun.

First, what are you hunting?

If I were in your shoes and had to shoot concials for deer sized game, I would try either the 295 powerbelts or the 300 gr Hornady FPBs. I give the nod to the FPBs as they are a tougher bullet and seem to shoot as well as any conical out of T/C rifles.

I also like BH 209 better than 777, but of course, it is more expensive.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

All good responses thus far.

I too shoot a triumph and had terrible luck with powerbelts. I tried just about every type and grain and couldn't group better than 6" at 100 yards.

My sweet spot is 245g barnes spitfires and 110 black horn 209. I get sub 1.5" groups with this at 100 yards.

I also give a huge thumbs up to bh209. Much, much better for me than the ol 777 I used to shoot.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-10 AT 11:24AM (MST)[p]my suggestion would be to all you guy that shoot them junk powerbelt dont give bad advice to new hunters on shooting them i have been on three elkhunts with guys using power belts one bull was shot 50 yards perfect lung shot and it took 7 more shots + one to the head to finish him the one in the head was retreive with no mushrooming at all you could have reloaded it what a joke.i have had 3 other hunter say the same thing my advice would be barnes,thor or the hornady fpb 350.

that might be but paper punching is differant than hunting and if you are shooting over 4000 a year i can garentee you paper is not hard to kill with anything

I, too, wasted wayyy too much time and money with powerbelts. My T/C only sees 250 gr. shockwaves these days. G.L.-part of the fun is figuring it out....

Wouldn't say I would never use powerbelts again for elk, but probably not. When I did use them, I used 95 gr of 777 and a 405 gr aerotip. As long as you use a big enough bullet, and 100 gr of powder or less, you will probably be OK

However, IMO (and the opinion of many others) the Hornady FPB is a tougher bullet and should hold together better through a broader range of velocities and tissue hits (bone).

But the Thor is even tougher. And there are many better sabots out there as well.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have a triumph and shoots amazing! I ran across a load on the internet that works great in it. It is a little heavy but it is for elk. 115 gr. of Blackhorn 209, CCI 209M primer, Harvester muzzleloading crushrib sabot (black) and a Hornady 325 gr. FTX slug. The slug is actually in the reloading dept and is a .458 dia. so you NEED the crushrib sabots to help compesate loading pressure. I am smacking a 1 foot rock at 250 yds. with a 1X scope with only 8" of drop there when sighted in @ 125 yds.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-10 AT 12:48PM (MST)[p]I got a new Triumph this past spring and will start shooting it soon. What does everyone say about a 250 grain SST shooting BH 209 for elk??? Will it do the job?

Personally, I think it it too light. For elk I think it needs to be around 300 gr. minimum. Here it Utah, 250 grain is about the minimum weight you can legaly shoot for elk.

You bet, it is hard to beat a consistent shooter and I am sure a 250 grain would suffice with propper shot placment but I am the kind of guy that for elk likes a load that can penetrate the thick hide and spin them in a circle. They are a hardy animal and the heavier and faster I can get a load the better! Good luck to ya!

Thanks, I have a muzzy hunt in Utah for deer and an elk hunt in New Mexico. Was trying to use the same bullet for both!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom