Tag advice

dmick33

I am looking to apply to another state to start building points or get lucky and draw a decent tag. I plan on DIY and currently put in for NV and CA. I have been looking at CO, ID, and MT mostly because the have just always attracted my interest. I would like any advice on what state and maybe some units to look at. I plan to put in for deer and sheep, but elk is my prefered tag right now. Thanks.

If you can afford it start collecting points for every species you want to hunt in every state possible. I started a few years ago and my plan is when I reach 10 points to start putting in for a decent quality hunt out of state each year with the hopes of drawing a great hunt each year (henry's, San Juan, etc..) at some point possibly.

I am not expecting to draw premium units but I like the idea of having "options" when and likely being able to draw when I get to that point.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Your age and timeline are important. In Colorado there is a no mans land when it comes to points, especially for deer and elk. You can get some pretty good tags with 4-5 points in each, but to get the really good tags that number then jumps to the high teens low 20s pretty fast. The nice part about CO is the OTC elk tags allow you hunt here in good units when ever you want. Also the deer hunting is pretty darn good even now with low numbers, hard winters, etc.

In WY there is going to be a similar issue develop. the WY point system is like 7 years old. As a result there is no one with 20 points etc. However there are many tags with max points that have a 3% chance to draw. Just like CO there will be some decent hunts in teh 4-5 point range and the top ones will climb (not sure how far but I am willing to bet some go straight to 20 points+ before those with maxpoints draw out). WY points are slightly different in that a person without max points may be lucky enough to draw. However the units with the most limited tag allocation typically do not have enough tags to give a nonresident a shot. I put in for both WY and CO and now I am looking at adding another state.

New Mexico, forget that state they just dropped the number of tags for a DIY typre of person big time. Something like 80% of all nonresident tags go to hunters who are going to use a guide leaving only 20% for DIY types. This is not very many tags and I have a feeling it will eventually backfire on NM.

Those are the states I am familiar with. I am looking at adding a state as well and believe I might add Utah as much as it bugs me to pay for a license every year just to apply.

Unfortunately the days of "building points" to obtain premium limited elk tags have all but come to an end. Especially for new entrants.

Just as a few examples....if you started applying in Colorado from scratch today as a NR, you're looking at 80-100 years to draw the highest-demand units (ex 2,10,201) and 30-50 years out to draw the modest-demand units (ex 61,76) all of this due to rampant point creep issues. Arizona maybe not quite as long a wait, with their top hunts at probably 40-60 years out for a NR. For Utah the wait would be pretty close to indefinite for the top hunts. New Mexico has no point system, but NR draw odds on the highest demand hunts run in the 1-2% range, in other words a 50-100 year wait on average. Nevada has a bonus points system for elk, but with super slim odds due to extremely high NR participation in the draw. Idaho has no point system, but very few limited hunts.

The good news is you can hunt elk every year as a NR in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho. Or you can buy landowner tags in NM, CO, NV. And fundraiser tags in UT. Before getting trapped in the points game, consider simply making plans to get an OTC tag, General Season tag, low-demand limited tag, or simply buy a tag, and then go hunting. Good luck with your plans.

So any suggestions on some limited demand units. And out of Mt Co or Id do any refund tag costs if not drawn. Or are they different than Nv where you have to buy the general license.

in Idaho you have to buy the general license. Colorado holds on to your money for months before refunding as does Wyoming. Parts of the points game is hopeless and the rest just seem that way. Alot of research is in order to come up with a plan that fits you.

Semper Fi

NM is a cheap date to throw the dice on a good elk unit. No points. I think you can turn the general hunting license in if not drawn for an elk tag and if I am correct then your cost is $20 for elk application when dust settles. You may draw a great unit and kill a monster.

I would next add CO elk when have an extra few hundred to tie up during the draw period. I think the cost when dust settles is around $20 a year. You will draw a good unit, not a great unit in a few years. You most likely will see 300" or smaller elk.

Then WY. You will tie up around $100 a year. You will be able to draw a limited entry tag in a few years in a good unit but the only way to draw a great unit early on is to score a random tag after the preference tags get alloted. If you draw an elk tag that includes wilderness area then you need to deal with the required guide rule. You should see larger elk than CO.

If you want to hunt MT then the general draw will provide an elk tag most years but getting a limited entry tag is a process that might take years. Similar to CO in elk size.

Not a fan of ID's application process and wolves ate up elk and made elk get very, very quiet even during rut in the wolf units. The cost to apply for just elk is around $200 a year since need a license but at that point you can also apply for deer and pronghorn for not much more money.

AZ would take years and the per year cost to apply is around $200. You will not draw a great tag in AZ more than once in your lifetime unless you are very young.

OR and WA will be around $200 each and the elk are not that many nor that big.

My 2 cents.

I might
>add Utah as much as
>it bugs me to pay
>for a license every year
>just to apply.

I think if you apply in UT at very end of open application period in Year 1 then the 365-day (not annual Jan to Dec deal)license is still good if apply early in the application period in year 2. If drawn in Year 2 then all that mattters is the license was valid on date applied not on date are hunting. Utah folks...am I right?

"AZ would take years and the per year cost to apply is around $200. You will not draw a great tag in AZ more than once in your lifetime unless you are very young."

This is not entirely true. Most any elk tag in AZ is a great tag, and some units can be drawn every few years if you play the game right. Avoid the hyped up units, which a lot of them are overrated anyways, and you can have great elk hunts in AZ. More than one.

My eyes are killing me I have been looking at web pages for the states all day long and am still lost. Does anybody know if that montana combo licsense is a draw one and for where? Also is there any info on draw odds. I think im going to have to start making calls to the states I am looking at and try to find people to talk to who have put in for those states.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom