Taxidermy Question

forkedhorn

I shot a buck in velvet and am wanting to preserve it. So my question is have any of you used the freeze dry method or do you all just get them injected with formeldehyde?

Thanks

freeze drying is pretty expensive and time consumming, but it works good. One other alternitive you did not mention is getting actificail velvet on it, then you never have to worry about it. and it is not exactly formeldehyde, that most of use, but one way it to drill a hole up through the skull plate into the base of each antler, then attache a copper fitting to your garden hose that will fit snuggle in the hole that you drilled, then take a needle and poke a million holes in the velvet, escpecially out on the ends were they are really soft, then turn on your hose and insert into the hole you drilled, this will force clean water up through the antler and blood will come out all of the little needle holes you made, keep doing this unitil just clean water comes out the holes. Then their are lots of ways to get it dried out, take a syringe and inject salt water all over underneath the velvet, "paint" the outside with lacuar thinner, several times a day for a few days, ect...ect...ect...BUt they key is to get out all of the blood first....hope this helps.

Based on my own limited experience, the artificial velvet is the only way to go. A little pricey, but more permanent and easier to maintain by far.. and I think it looks better than any natural velvet..I have a NWT Caribou bull with artificial velvet applied by a company up in the Pacific Northwest. Well worth the money it cost.I have seen natural velvet mounts turn very bad rather quickly..BUT then you have to realize I have hounds, so how intelligent could I really be???

KattSkatt

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom