TBT vs NP

searcher

I would like to hear your comments comparing the Trophy Bonded Tip (TBT) bullet to the Nosler Partition (NP) on moose, elk and large game. Specifically, I am looking at 180 gr Federal TBT and 180 gr Federal NP out of a 300 Win Mag. I have done some extensive shooting (for me) over the last week and the TBT appears to shoot better out of my rifle. I am getting consistent 1" groups at 100 yds using the TBT. The best I can get out of the NP is about 1.5" groups. The only elk I ever killed died from Federal NP poison but from a different rifle. I have killed several deer and antelope with the TBT from my 270 and I have no complaints on how the TBT works on medium sized game. I am looking at a moose hunt which may be my one and only moose hunt so I want to do it right. I do not reload so am looking at off the shelf factory ammo. I appreciate any comments comparing the 180 grain TBT to the NP on large game. Thanks for your comments.

The TBT will be fine for moose. I'd be more focused on practicing with your rifle from field positions like off shooting sticks or even off hand.
Just curious what rifle are you shooting?

You are correct. I have been focusing on what rifle and ammo to use. The next step is to practice from shooting sticks, bipod, prone, offhand, etc. I am shooting a Ruger M77 MK II stainless that is glass bedded and I just put a Timney trigger in it last weekend. The new trigger helped a lot.

Sounds like your well on your way. I was going to suggest a trigger job or swap and bedding if you hadn't already had them done.
Be sure to keep an eye on those ruger rings. They can come loose easily.

Just to throw in my two cents. I've found the Nosler Partitions extremely accurate in a variety of both factory and custom rifles. I've had Partitions in 270 shoot 1/2-5/8, 30 cals into half an inch, and currently my 175 Partitions in 7mm shoot under 1/4 at 100 yards and I just tested them out to 547 yards with a 2 1/2 inch group. I've taken moose, bison, and elk with them and they work great! Take a look at the 200 grain Accubond, they are extremely accurate in 30 cals...I've seen them shoot under an inch at 300 yards and they'll work great on moose and bear.

Both bullets are perfect for what you're hunting. pick one and don't look back.

If I could find the TBT's I'd load some but since I can't I'm perfectly content with the partition.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom