teflon coating your rifle

nuts4bucks

have any of guys had any of your rifles teflon coated if so what are the pros and cons of doing it i have an old rem. 700 that is in need of blueing and was considering having it teflon coated instead

Teflon coating looks fine, but it is no more durable then hot salt bluing. If you bump the gun against a hard object, the teflon coating will scratch and show the base metal.

RELH

I go through Black Ice Coatings http://www.blackicecoatings.com/ located in the Payson/Spanish Fork, Utah area. They use a duPont process that I've personally found to be tough as nails. Lee Mecham has been in the business for several years and his prices are reasonable. Check them out.

I've had a couple rifles coated, it's a joke if you use your rifle in a saddle scabbard like I do or anything were it comes in contact with anything.

Blueing is best but I've had decent luck with the Brownell's teflon coat, it's no more durable than the others but I can bead blast it off and redo it myself cheap and it looks good.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-10 AT 09:32PM (MST)[p]I'm going to have to do a flip flop on this. I checked out the Black Ice web site and it appears that they are using a more durable teflon coating then what I have seen in the past.
I had heard that Dupont had came out with a better teflon finish that was more hard and durable then the original teflon finishes in the past.
I think it would be worth trying. The price of $ 145.00 for a bolt action rifle is very reasonable and I like the fact he does a complete disassemble of the firearm to coat all parts.
Most hot bluing finishes are now higher then the $ 145.00 he is asking and if it does show to be more durable, you are ahead of the game.

RELH

Dude; take a look at the Black Ice web site. Look under "Cool things" I think you will love that 69 GT 440 in the photo.

I don't know if I would have my entire gun done, but I would do the action and I did just have Lee at Black Ice do my bolt. I really like it.

I have had a couple rifles done with tefcote by Spradlin's and it is very durable....http://www.jimspradlin.com/

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I had one coated several years ago and found it to be good but will wear at the same points as blueing, such as muzzle, front sight, bolt handle, etc. I have had mine in a sadlle scabbard a time or two and packed it around as usual. It did make the bolt travel slick and easier.

Can this be done with a target pistol as well? I have one that was abused before i purchased it. Shoots very well but it's outside is pitted in a few places and some of the bluing is gone. Would be nice to see this gun looking good instead of just shooting good.

What would you recommend to use, have done, aprox costs? Thanks!!

Joey

Joey; As with hot bluing those rust pits will still show up even with the teflon finish. It would be best to polish out the pits if they are not so deep prior to the teflon finish.
If they are deep, you might think of bead blasting the frame and slide for a satin finish, then reblue or teflon coat the gun.

RELH

Thanks for the advice RELH! I hope to do either of these some day soon. At worst, I think the pitting in places might be marginal. It's just too nice a shooter to look like it does and it's earned itself a makeover.

Joey

Sage there are some metal finishing shops that can bead blast the metal for you and then put the coating on it and you won't be able to see any pitting if not too deep. Some finishes require bead blasting to prepare the surface anyway. Robar's not cheap but they have made some old guns look like brand new. They can tell you what they can do with it and they offer a variety of finishes. CA

Another plug for blackice coatings in Spanish Fork. They do great work for a
great price. I'm pretty sure they can just about bead blast anything and bring it back to looking better than new. They also offer several different Teflon colors.

They're doing camo dips now as well incase you want to get really creative.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom