Tent Recommendations

KingCrow

I have a friend getting dropped off at an Alaskan airstrip for a caribou hunt. He's planning on camping right at the airstrip(2 people).

What tent would you recommend? He has a big wall tent and a small pup tent, he's considering buying something in the middle for this trip.

I use a Cabelas Guide Model tent as a basecamp for my flyout hunts up here that aren't weight restricted. I have the 6 man and it would be a palace for 2 guys and very nice if the weather turned crappy and you have to sit in there to wait out a storm. They are pretty bomber with lots of guy out points. I ponied up and bought the aluminum poles after I bit to save weight as well as they slide through the top sleeves of the tent easier to aid in a quicker tent pitching.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat602107&hasJS=true

It'd be a good middle of the row tent between a pup and a wall tent.

Which ever tent you buy make sure it will withstand HIGH winds and LOTS of rain! Dome tents tend to be more wind resistant than square tents. When it rains you may be cooped up in the tent for a while so it is nice to have plenty of room for you plus your gear...and also room to hang things up to dry.

You may want to hold off and buy your tent in Anchorage rather than paying for added luggage? Anchorage has an assortment of sporting goods stores.

+1 on the Alaskan Guide Tent, tough tent, mine has survived several nasty storms, never once showing any sign of failure, Get it big, 6 man would work well.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-10 AT 10:45AM (MST)[p]BOTH!!!
If weight on the fly in isn't an issue I'd say cot with a modest foam pad underneath. Cots give you more space in the tent as you can store gear under than as well as sitting up on a cot with a action packer between you and your buddy to play cards on is much better than the floor if you have to spend a few days weathering a storm. You will want a foam pad to insulate you as the air under the cot can get cold.

One consideration is whether your buddy lives in AK or will be flying there from the lower 48? Most airlines are charging dearly for additional baggage. It may cost as much to ship large/bulky items as it would be to buy them up there. If your buddy already lives there it is likely no big deal unless he is overloaded w/gear and it takes several flights to get to where he is going. If he has caribou plus a bunch of gear on his return it may cost a pretty penny to get everything home?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom