Test Baits?

prn

I'm considering setting up test baits this spring before I decide on the actual spots I want my bait. Have you ever used this strategy? How did it go? How did you go about doing it?

The reason I ask these questions is because we're going to try a new area this year. Our plan is to set up three baits. I was considering placing a few test baits out before I went to the work of setting the actual bait barrels. We have plenty of hostess throw aways, so I was thinking of filling a few burlap sacks full, soaking them in anise to get a good smell, and then hanging them a few feet off the ground. After a week or so I will set up on the ones that have been torn into.

What are your thoughts? Should I be approaching this different?

Depends. What state we talkin?
a20792b12a43280588e9ae_s.JPG

Check the rules in the state you are looking at. Some have dates, some you need to register your bait before setting your bait, ect

Idaho.

I know I need a baiting permit which will give me three locations (I believe my buddy could set up three different test baits as long as he did it on his own). Baits can't be put out until opening day (which is our plan). The proclamation says that if a container is used it must be metal up to 55 gallons (I'm assuming this is where we could run into issues using a burlap sack. If so, we could put in on the ground.)

I'm really just looking at whether or not test baits have worked for others in the past and if they're worth the effort? Additionally, how to make them effective? I will not do anything that could break the law so I will verify the use of burlap.

Hopefully somebody is willing to share some useful information with me???

check the regs for the unit u are gonna hunt some allow u to put bait out 7 days before the hunt starts others are opening day...I dont believe u can use burlap sacks I think the regs state a single metal container like a barrel..if u are not hunting one of the early bait units try a honey burn or a Idaho smokie {take bacon grease & poor onto some dry pine needles or onto a chunk of dry bark & lightb it than cover with green tree branches & logs } works great in the early spring no chance of cathing the forest on fire !!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom