The 12th man

sven

Hey guys post your thoughts about the 12 man controversie. I personaly don't post alot but I read alot and respect everyones opinion on here, lots ideas and opionions. I personly think that no matter what team in the sports world out there wants to call there fans a 12 man or 6th or what ever why does someone have to make a big deal of it. I don't remember Seattle making a big deal of the Wave.........Go Hawks!!!!!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-06 AT 03:11PM (MST)[p]Whats the dilema of the 12th man? Have you've been to any of the games here in seattle? The 12th man Being the fans have caused to many too count of false starts due to the noise in our stadium. The fans I believe our responsible for at least Five points a game due too noise level. The wave was something to do for fun not distract the other team. I feel that the 12th man has united our seahawks with the fans making the seahawks even stronger and kickin some steeler butts!! Everyone I bump into is talkin about them seahawks feeling as close as fans can be too being on the team itself. Fans have a big part in confidence for players. As a Pro athlete, {volleyball} playing in front of alot of fans cheering there butts off feels awesome and play even harder. Playing in front of a lame crowd sucks.
When a whole state gets behind their team, their unbeatable. Playing at their best will bring an absolute showdown of the best two teams in the NFL. Let the best team win!!!

I think the controversy is some whining from Texas A&M fans claiming to be the original 12th man .

Please , get over it Texas .

Seahawk fans have supported their team admirably all year , they've earned the right to call themselves anything they want to .

There is no better example of the affect the 12th man has had on a team than with the Seahawks over the years, and maybe more so this year. I think every Seahawk player will tell you the same thing.

With the Super Bowl being played in Detroit this year that advantage will be minimized.

It's going to be a WAR! Go Seahawks!

Steve

For us that did not know of the history of the 12th man

Probably the most well known of all Texas A&M traditions--The 12th Man at Texas A&M symbolizes our deep history, fan unity and unwavering support of the football team.

The history of the 12th Man tradition dates back to January 1, 1922 when the underdog Aggies took on top-ranked Centre College in the Dixie Classic in Dallas, Texas. The story goes that Coach D.X. Bible called upon a student, E. King Gill, to come out of the stands and to suit up and replace some injured players.

"...I put on the uniform of one of the injured players. We got under the stands and he put on my clothes and I put on his uniform. I was ready to play but was never sent into the game...."

--E. King Gill, original 12th Man

Gill never entered the game, but stood ready to play until the 4th quarter ended. After the game, Gill stated, "I wish I could say I went in and scored the winning touchdown, but I didn't. All I did was stand by, ready to go in case my team needed me."

To this day, Aggies in the stands at Kyle Field--the 12th Man--remain standing for the entire game (except during the opposing school?s half-time band performance), symbolizing a readiness to support the team. In recent years, Aggies have also begun waving white "12th Man" towels.

Arguably one of the loudest and most intimidating crowds in college football, The 12th Man has helped the Aggie football team win many games.

Oh, in case you were curious, the Aggies beat Centre College 22-14.

One of my step-brothers lives there outside of Seattle and has been a fan for many years. During their down time and earlier problems he gave up his Seasonal tickets. I need to call Roy and see how he is doing now. I do know he would have loved to been able to go to the SB as a true fan.

Brian

The 12th man hasn't done a lot for the Aggies of late. It has been a great tradition over the years though, but hey, if Seattle wants to go with the same format, why does anybody need to get their panties in a wad over it.
From what I've seen in the playoffs, Seattle may need 12 guys to handle the Steelers 'D'.
No, I am not a Steeler fan, but Holmgren better devise something or I fear we won't have much of a game.
Now, let the Moondog bashing begin.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom