The Best Wild Game Meal

DeerHunter53

Long Time Member
OK so how many of you look forward to the camp meals that come with hunting season. What is your favorite wild game meal.
For me I love a big fat blue grouse fried over an open camp fire with twice cooked French fries. I guess next would be cottontail rabbit as I am always looking for one when walking back to camp. I carry a small .22 pistol just for that.
What about everyone else and some recipes for a good dinner is always helpful as well if you have one

a lil piece of elk w/jalapeno wrapped in bacon....put a toothpick through the middle.
....a taste of Heaven!!!

Bighorn sheep was the best meat I've had, but doubt I'll ever get any more of that. Other than that, any tenderloin breaded and fried. They don't call it the sweet meat for no reason.

>Elk liver and onions with fried
>potatoes the night of the
>kill!
This is good for sure. But, elk ribs are one of my favorites. Trick is killing one close enough to the truck to pack them out. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-16 AT 06:46PM (MST)[p]ICMDEER, Looking forward to that myself in December! Drew a desert sheep tag here in NM. One of my favorites is "death in a bottle" elk saut?ed with onion, bell pepper and green chile on warm flour tortillas.

>>Elk liver and onions with fried
>>potatoes the night of the
>>kill!
>This is good for sure. But,
>elk ribs are one of
>my favorites. Trick is killing
>one close enough to the
>truck to pack them out.
>mtmuley

No arguement! When I'm able, I crockpot em till they're ready to fall apart, throw em in the smoker for a bit, on to the grill with some bbq sauce! As good as any pork ribs!

I have never had the luxury of a camp meal following a big game hunt since I usually hurry back to the butcher shop, but I do enjoy fried chukar rolled in egg and crushed Fritos from time-to-time.

Man those are great I have never eaten Sheep but from the sounds of it, it must be good and the death in a bottle that is the first I have ever heard of that one. got a recipe
Deer Liver and heart fried is another one that is great although in camp I am the only one who eats it.
any others out there?

Is that section in the campfire part or somewhere else and one last thing has anyone ate Oryx they say you will throw
your elk meat out of the freezer for this meat.
Anyone eaten this meat?

Everyone may have their own Beaver Rub.

But, I was initially serious. Now the subject is flat out in the brush funny.

In our camps we eat mutton. Cooked in a dutch oven in its own fats until crispy, nothing better than a crispy mutton rib.

Actual wild meal, chukar is pretty hard to beat, we just bake them. Plus, lets face it, a piece of smoked salmon is about heaven.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Oryx is the best game meat i have tried. Elk is second. Any steak cuts from those two, paired with some Hatch green Chile ( the real stuff, not canned), mmmmm mmmmm. Quail is also pretty good after being wrapped in bacon and stuffed with Chile.

Blue grouse breast cut into strips, season with garlic salt and pepper, a pan full of hot butter and a cup of crown royal, let the crown cook down and lightly brown the meat, don't over cook it, pour one more cup of crown over ice and enjoy,,, our fav in camp or home

Some elk round or backstraps in a croc-pot in the oven. With couple cans.of cream of mushroom and a few Spices. End up with a tender yummy steak with some.gravy

>What
>No votes for Mt. Goat ?
>

You're Right!

No Votes for NASTY Mt. Goats!:D

[font color="blue"]dude has his Resume turned in to be Hillary's
Intern[/font]

Best on the mountain meal I've ever eaten is Sheep (Dall/Desert/Rocky---not tasted Stones) fried tenderloin with potato buds. Fresh Caribou tenderloin is also amazing.

Axis deer. Even my wife MAKES me go hunting when we run out!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Razor clams dipped in an egg wash and coated with saltine cracker crumbs and fried in rice oil until golden brown.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom