the differences between good and bad bow hunters

B

Blackcloud_nv

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-12 AT 02:38PM (MST)[p]i have hunted archery for a couple years now. I still consider my self new to archery becuase there are a lot of things to learn about this tough, unforgiving, style of hunting. It is a completly different world!!!! I have learned a lot in the last couple years and have had good sucess.

just looking to see what other people think of what they consider a good bow hunter and a bad bow hunter?

also here is my archery buck from last year.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/1505area_10_4x4_2011.jpg

blackcloud_nv

you could reference the post below this one for whats considered a bad bow hunter.
Some quotes from the author:
"I range him for really no reason"
"I didnt have the exact range"
"Tough country to guess yardage and i wasnt about to pass up some of those shots"
"I didnt know the exact yardage but your high if you think im passing a 70 yard and under"

Dont be like this guy and you will do just fine!!

Blackcloud, I don't know about your hunting abilities but I've seen you dance and you sure know how to cut a rug! Ha ha.
Don't make shots that are 70, 80, 90 yards out there and you'll do ok. Know exactly what the yardage is and use an angle compensating range finder to know what yardage to aim for. No guessing at yardage. And one more thing, don't hunt with Watson! fatrooster.

Aman to the last rooster!
Get as close as you can to your target. Range, Range, Range!
It's better to take a shot you know you can make then wish you hadn't the next day.

Don't ever put "back country hunt" and "4 wheeler" in the same sentence!

Congrats on last years buck. I've hunted archery locally for about 5 seasons and have one deer to show for it. I don't take bad shots...actually I've only taken 2 shots. I know I have never wounded any bucks. I'm proud to say that.

Steve
Holder of a 2012 LE Utah Deer Tag!!

Here's a list of things I do religiously to be succesful.
1. Glass early and late, alot of folks don't glass in the evening.
2. Wait for the afternoon updrafts.
3. Stalk from above.
4. Wait for the deer to offer you a shot, even if it means sitting on a buck for hour after hour, they rarely sit more than 2 hours without moving or shifting position.
5. If you shoot well to 50 yards, don't try to creep in to 20 yards, sometimes when I'm to close I swear they can feel my presence.
6. If the wind is questionable, and you don't have anything else on your plate, give a stalk a try, you might be surprised how it turns out.
7. You can find bedded deer at midday, don't ever quit glassing, velvet mule deer are eating machines, they will browse on and off all day long.
8. Don't be overly concerned about scent control, if the wind is wrong you're screwed no matter how much no-scent BS you've applied.
9. Learn to cherish time spent on the mountain, because you won't believe how much time you'll spend there before things magically all come together.
10. When you finally drill a buck pinch yourself to make sure it's not a dream.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-12 AT 05:10PM (MST)[p]I been around the block and have had much success. NVhunter- Youre entitled to your own opinion. I would say these days 80% of people will take a 70 yard shot or under. I have made the shot and will make it again. There are guys like you that wont and thats fine. You shoot with what youre comfortable with. So you decided 50 yards is the limit for everyone to shoot?? Sorry but it doesnt work that way. Todays equipment is very capable making a 70 yard shot like it was 50 yards 15 years ago. My only mistake was not replacing my rangefinder I lost with a new one that adjusted to the angle. 60 yard angle shot is something to expect in the rubies. I can see my post has really touched your heart. Let it go guy

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-12 AT 07:52PM (MST)[p]Never said 50 was a limit for anyone(read me where i said that). In fact my boy shot his antelope at 55 this year. All i(and everyone else) is pointing out is that you did not know the yardage, and (it seems) do not take time to find out.
You have consistently come on here and told us of your bad shots, so it is not me nor anyone else making you look bad, but it is yourself.
I think the reply by nontypical on your original message saying for you to question what you have done and are doing is spot on. You really owe it to the animal you are hunting, and other archery hunters but mostly yourself to think about all those bad shots and quit just flinging arrows out there if you dont know the EXACT yardage. Not replaceing your rangefinder was not your only mistake.
Archery is a game of precision, not estimation.

Going "around the block" doesn't necessarily mean you are all that good. I know a few girls that have been around the block also. Doesnt mean that they are all that great..just easy!
Dropping it simply because you can't fix stupid!

Hey nvracks this is a post about good bow hunters and bad bow hunters and as far as I can see everyones opinion says your a bad bow hunter. But that's just what I see. So back to the subject differences between good and bad bow hunters!

Blackcloud_nv

Kind of a funny question. I have hunted with many that think they are good and fact is they have no clue. There is so much to being good. I don't feel it has anything to do with a range finder. Wonder how all of us did it before they came out? There are so few out there that are good, my advice would be to get with one and learn lots.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-12 AT 04:02PM (MST)[p]I've killed a couple speed goats with my bow, and a few elk. I've yet to tip over a muley, but I consider myself a good bowhunter - here's why:

I haven't taken a shot I haven't practiced before, and I've recovered every animal I hit.

The real difference between a good bowhunter and a poor bowhunter (or any hunter for that matter) is how bad are your misses. Hunting isn't about killing, it's about spending time outdoors, testing your abilities, and most importantly, respecting your quarry enough to ensure that you will do everything in your power to make sure you are capable of swiftly killing that animal.

Good and bad are tough labels. I thought I was a great bow hunter 15 years ago, and every year I get humbled or learn something new, So now after bow hunting for 17 years I know I'm not all that great, but feel confident in my abilities. I know my limits and I do NOT need a range finder. For yardages over 30yrds I use a range finder, but I have never shot a big game animal any further away than 30yrds. I've had to pass on quite a few nice animals, but there is nothing wrong with the animal winning a few rounds. As long as you're both healthy the game continues.

Loved AA's list. Just prepare for everything and practice as much as possible. Do you practice without your release? Can you shoot your bow without a peep? How about sights, is there anything else you can use for sights in a pinch? If these things go wrong how far can you confidently shoot then? Do these things change in really cold or wet conditions?

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom