The long shot.. how far is too far?

1FastGambler

So many people asking the same question, "how far is too far?"

My answer is, it is too far when the shooter could stalk in closer and chooses not to. When pulling the trigger leaves even a tiny amount of doubt that the shot "may not" result in a quick clean, one shot kill.

The new term "long range hunting" by my own personal definition is an oxymoron because to me, hunting by definition means getting as close as I possibly can no matter what the weapon is and not sending a bullet or arrow down range unless I am confident it will result in a quick and clean kill. Remember that being confident in a shot is still not a guarantee, but my point is that with a lot of experience that comes from both practicing and actual in the field hunting experience, confidence nearly always produces expected results. To hear about guys on a TV show shooting Antelope in the butt at over 1000 yards and then jumping up and down with excitement... disappoints me to say the least.

I very strongly respect the stance that Boone and Crockett has taken on this very touchy subject and hope that many more will join B&C and support their efforts.

Lots of different Answers for your Question!

Last Year I shot a Bull Elk at 750+ Yards,One Shot Kill with a Gun that doesn't have a Fancy Scope,no Range Finder involved,I've packed the Gun long enough to know where She Shoots,was it too far,Yes!

About 3 years ago I shot a Buck with my Varmit Gun at 538 Yards,1st shot Kill,I did have my RangeFinder this time,was it too far,Probably!

I shot a Coyote several years ago with the Coyote in the very bottom of the Scope,was it too far,Nope,I got him at who knows how far,way further than my RangeFinder will work!

I Think the Times I missed at long range are the Shots that were too far!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

This question has been brought up, drug out, and pissed and moaned about so much over the past 5 plus years on this site that its not even worth asking. Just go back through all threads from months and years past and you will get just about every member of this sites opinion on the matter. Long range shooting/hunting politics at its finest. Everyone has a opinion and and many disagree with one another. There is no clear line as to whom is ultimately right or wrong.

Coloradoboy

I know: Let's all just keep being a bunch of arm chair quarterback, anti-hunters bitchin and sweating the stupid stuff, beating a dead horse. This has gotten ridiculous. Was the one thread on the same thing not enough?

If you actually watch the episode, you will see it was on the last night of the last day hunting and he couldn't get any closer. How does anyone know the closest possible distance they can get to an animal before hand? YOU DON'T. So if you're within your effective range, you're gonna shoot. Wouldnt doubt if Bob Beck has a comfortable distance of a mile. Spare me all the "proper bullet expansion/energy" BS please.

In my opinion, an ethical shot is putting the animal down quickly. There is no arguing the animal went down quickly, as well as the 1300+ yard shot the 12 year old Gunwerks kid made on his bull that everyone on this website seems to have a problem with. Not sure if it's more jealousy playing in than anything?

If someone can hit a goat at 1300 yards they have shot a lot and know what they are doing. A 1300 yard kill shot is incredible, as is a 100 + yard archery shot in my opinion. As long as both shots are taken by someone who has practiced enough to know they can make the kill shot, I don't have a problem with it.

I just made a comment about this in the Mule Deer thread. My"personal Ranges" are, Archery 40 yds, Rifle 400 yds. I dont give a rats A$$ what people think of it.. they are MY personal Ranges. I know some folks that have farther, ranges and some closer. there is more to it than just the range you can hit at also,IMO. I would NEVER shoot at an alert or moving animal (coyotes are an exception for me) at my range limits. I understand that MY limitations are well inside my equipments. I also know a bit about kinetic energy with archery and ballistics and flight times with my rifles. For an animal, feeding, unaware, I believe I am within my capabilities and my equipment at those ranges. If you don't agree with my thinking...well I wont loose sleep over it. I love to Hunt, and I love to shoot. to ME the shooting, is a small, small, PART of hunting.

>A shot is too long if
>you second guess
>yourself while deciding if you can
>make
>the shot a fatal one!
>
>Just my 2 cents !

YUP!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom