The most amazing shot ever.

Pretty cool....Congrats

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

was he aiming for the head ? if so awesome. but i doubt it luck shot. could have just as well azz/gut shot it. regardless, great bull nice video. i wish i could find some young guys to find a bull for me so all i had to do was pull the trigger.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-12 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p]Head shot at 685! Just what we need to be putting out on Youtube and calling an amazing shot!!! Looks to me like a "Best of the West" viewer bought that scope and has no idea about wind drift at that distance. It's nice he filled the tag, but not in that way IMHO! As Beavis14 commented, it was lucky it wasn't a crippling shot! Sorry, but you put it up and will get more than "Good bull!" when I see stuff like that.

At the 11 minute mark he thanks the camo company. Just seemed a touch funny that they needed camo at 685 yards. If he would have figured the wind in the equation then he would have shot over the bull.

Nice bull and looks like the hunter is happy and his smile at the end was honest satisfaction with his hunt.

JUDAS FRICKEN PRIEST!

Thanks Manny!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

At first I though this was another post by 1911, but the bull was 28 yards give or take a foot out of his range. Great Bull!

>At first I though this was
>another post by 1911, but
>the bull was 28 yards
>give or take a foot
>out of his range.
>Great Bull!

lol

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I wasn't impressed with the range or the shot but other than that I liked your video. Congrats to your uncle on a sweet bull!

My 2 cents: If the bullet doesn't go right into the "crease" I consider it bullet "placement" failure! Better luck next time.

Zeke

>Congrats on a great bull.
>The hunter looks happy.
>But, You gotta call "bank"
>on those shots that bank
>in!

LMAO!

Original Message
"RE: The most amazing shot ever."
Posted by eldorado on Mar-10-12 at 00:38 AM
I guess he had nothing to lose. Luckily he hit the bull.
Eldorado

I would have to heartily disagree with that statement Eldorado. That shot could easily have wounded that magnificent animal and the hunter would have "lost" it in all likelihood. NOT GOOD and not what should be done. That shot was probably 3-4 feet from the heart/lung area where he was probably aiming!

Video is too long. After two minutes, I moved on. Plus I'm not into the elevate and pray type of shooting.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

>Is your uncle elkassassin??
>
>~Z~

Have a point there Zeke, only a true assassin could put it right in the back of the skull, assassination style, at that range. Haves a feelings those big bills I gaves him for my lessons will be payings off big times this years. DANGIT, I'ms allreadys talkings likes hims :'(

Topgun, I'm not a proponent of long range shots but I'm not blind either to the fact that many such shots are taken as a last resort.

Eldorado

Eldorado---I would much rather think that my last resort is eating the tag than doing what that video portrayed to fill it! It's too bad that some people feel they have to fill a tag at all costs instead of looking at the hunt itself for what it should be and pulling the trigger is just icing on the cake when it happens. Some have lost their perspective, if they ever had it, of the main reason they should be out there is all I'm saying!

Pretty hard to eat a tag you been waiting for 12 years to draw. Anyway, I'm happy for the hunter on taking a bull of a lifetime.

Eldorado

That's the difference between a lot of people. I, for instance, can have just as much fun watching game, taking photos and video of them, etc. as pulling the trigger. Maybe I'm in the minority on that, but that's the way I feel. I really feel sorry for a person that takes what I would call a very risky shot like that with the greater probability of wounding a majestic animal like that bull just to fill a tag, regardless of how long he waited to draw it. Maybe I've just had too good of a life and killed so many animals over fifty some years of hunting that it gives me a perspective that differs from many, but I won't apologize for that!

A really nice bull! I don't get shooting animals from a third of a mile away. I suppose we all set our own parameters on what makes for a good hunt, but am curious what kept you guys from closing the gap on that bull. Looked like good terrain and a good mix of timber and open areas. I expect the rain on the first day would have done a lot for sound and scent control. I've found that passing on a longer shot and getting in close makes for a much more rewarding hunt. I'm not dissing on your uncle. He took a fine bull, but I think a lot of hunters are missing out on a lot of what makes hunting great, that being the finer skills and challenges of getting in close. Sure it may cost a monster trophy (there is a reason why bow hunters don't take as many B&C sized animals as rifle hunters), but many would find what they do kill to be more meaningful trophies than even the magnificent animals they can kill from a greater distance.

I am with Topgun, that shot shouldn't have been made. The shooter was very lucky.

+1. the guy should have left the crew behind and walked into the basin after seeing him in the same place as before with good cover and conditions. Stalk in for a well placed shot, not a let one fly shot. He was lucky.

How dumb of this is it to post htis video? Yes it is a very nice bull and he did kill it with one shot but he WAS NOT aiming for the head. Wow 685 yards and he missed his target by 3 feet. Luckily he missed it the right way and didn't hit it in the a$# to never be found again. Why would anyone put this on the net?

Topgun, I don't agree with your points of trying to tear this guy down. Your opion is your opion but I think it is stupid arguments like this that will tear us down. If the antis are on the net looking for reasons to tear us down, what better way to use us against us, than another sportsman telling a sportsman how unethical the way they hunt is.

Yes it was a long shot and yes he missed his spot but he had as much confidence at 685 as he did at 300yds. It was just a miss that ended well. Why wouldn't I post this on the internet. It was an unbelievable hunt that had all the ups and downs, 12 years of waiting, time spent in the outdoors with friends and family and luckily ended with a great bull...and i got it all on film. I am very torn on the whole Long Range Shooting craze and I can see both sides of the argument. If you practice and have proven you can take those shots effectively which is what my uncle had done, why is it so unethical. Im not hear to argue either way I was just curious of the response it would get. I guess I wont link the video we made of my Dad shooting a bull in the back of the head at 800 yds. on purpose.

Why would you shoot a bull in the head to begin with? Most of the time it messes with the spread credit.

>Why would you shoot a bull
>in the head to begin
>with? Most of the time
>it messes with the spread
>credit.

Overton shoots all his trophys that way. One time it enabled him to get a 27 inch spread credit on a spike by 2.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-12 AT 12:26PM (MST)[p]"If you practice and have proven you can take those shots effectively which is what my uncle had done, why is it so unethical."

Was he practicing 685 yard shots within the unit, shooting from one ridge to another??

He got lucky, should have picked a better shot. If we had half the animals that got wasted from irresponsible shooting then there would be a lot more tags issued and it wouldn't have taken him 12 years to draw. It's that simple.

Live and learn but at what expense? Just remember, we never see the shots that weren't so lucky and there's lots of those out there.

+1
Accidental hits do happen! Just don't splatter them all over the internet and tell us how proficient the long range shooter was. I'm happy for the hunter that things turned out as well as they did. The outcome could have been much different.

Oh , the age of instant information. I hope it's helping our cause!
Zeke

The ethics of long range hunting are subjective. That video such as this can used by anti-hunters is reality.

I would not have posted it. Nor would I be proud of it.

Yeah, he killed the bull. BUT, I don't think the bragging and advertising is a good idea here. Also an 800 yard shot in the back of the head on purpose? Ummmm..... I doubt it. mtmuley

Whistler, I am also curious as to why your dad wanted to shoot the elk in the head? Seems like a rather reckless stunt, with another 'lucky' outcome.

A buddy of mine's hunter once (for no explicable reason) randomly decided at the last moment to try shooting a perfectly broadside bull in the head from within 300 yards. He was a couple inches off, and ended up hammering that poor bull through the jaws. They never caught up to that doomed dude again. I imagine he met quite an excruciating end.

I've never been much of a fan of Hail Mary type shots on live big game animals. There are shooters that are consistently proficient at true long range field shots, but they are few and far between. Too many novices out there whom are over-equipped and underskilled.

Anyway, glad luck was on y'alls side with the head shot bulls.

Hey whistler,

With all this bragging your doing about shooting a bull in the head over 800 yards out on purpose is total bullshit. Especially since you called the 685 yard luck shot"The most amazing shot ever" wtf man

By the way I've got some steel targets set up around cache valley
I would love for you to come show me how good you are sometime.
Hell why don't we make it interesting I'll make a one minute target and put it out at 800 yards and see what happens.Its getting deep in here and I'm going to call you out on it.
you can P.M me if you like

My theory is, get as close as you can, if your going to shoot it you have to go get it anyways, so why take chances. Hunter's make bad shots at less than 100 yrds. Shooting at game is differant than bench shooting. I've let animals go at 30 yrds when it didn't feel right, if it feels right squeeze. If its a bad shot you better be a good tracker. I wouldn't brag on this situation though.

Hey wapitiwhistler is this the 800 yard head shot your talking about?

You do a pretty good job on your videos. Keep up the good work. Maybe these two videos would get a better reception here on MM if you change the title to something like "The luckiest shot ever" part 1 & 2. To imply that these two shots were anything but lucky will get people going especially implying these are amazing shots. Anyways congrats on the bulls.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-12 AT 12:41PM (MST)[p]Good God! This is now getting to be too much and I'll flat out say that whoever took that shot in that video link azhuntography posted should have his hunting priviledges taken away for life! First it shows a miss or possible hair hit on that big bull's azz while he's standing broadside at what is said to be 800 yards. Then the bull runs straight away and the guy shoots again at him running full blast straight away and hits him in the back of the head! If anyone comes on this thread and condones that BS they should be stoned and also lose their license. I'm sorry, and this isn't forcing my beliefs or hunting style on anyone, but that is absolutely too much to take anywhere, especially on this great hunting site. Excuse me, but I have to go puke!!!

ADDENDUM at 2:36PM EST
I just received a PM from the OP thanking me for watching his videos, LOL! I sent a polite one back that he could stick them and their rifles where the sun don't shine. To do that is one thing, but then to send me that PM basicly mocking my view of what was definitely unethical shooting is over the line!!!

Yep, and I'm getting my posts yanked for speaking out about this BS!!! I'm suprised the one I posted above hasn't been deleted yet! I guess the site is going to PC posts only!!!

TOPGUN, STFU!

How many post's do you need in one thread stating the same thing..I had nothing to do with your posts being removed, just stating the obvious...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Back at ya! Have you looked at the latest video in the link posted today that we are referring too? It's a whole different deal that were are posting about now and it's much worse than the first video. Therefore, another post about it and other guys will probably follow with ones like the guys right after mine.

i agree with topgun. deplorable shot selection.whats wrong with a 100 yard kill shot ??? not sexy enough? how about just shooting at 300 or less and SAY it was 800-900 if it makes you feel more manly

There is nothing quite so rewarding as a good application of
self righteous indignation.

You don't need a parachute to skydive.
You do however, need a parachute to
skydive.......twice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom