They have a dog problem

We have a place up near Mendocino Pass, east of Covelo. On several occasions I have ran into packs of dogs (fortunately from a distance) while hunting or poking around. Came around a turn in the road last year on a rainy/snowy day in my jeep in the middle of nowhere and there were a half dozen pit mixes all balled up on the side of the road trying to stay warm in the downpour.
A few years ago an older fella that I know was put up an oak tree by a pack of pit bulls during archery buck season. Fortunately for him he had his 1911 in his pack and after he dumped a couple of the dogs they went their separate ways.
Apparently it is common practice these days for the dope growers up there to just set free their crop protection dogs after the harvest is done.
People suck

Ah, good old Covelo. Used to hunt Bear and Deer there yearly. Took some nice ones of both. Cut a lot of drip lines into nice small pieces while hunting there also.

My ex-commercial fishing partner went through the police academy and took his first job as a State Trooper in Wainwright, Alaska. (90% Natives).

People complained a lot to him about stray dogs, and in an effort to connect with the Natives he hired a well known Native guy. He even paid him out of his own salary because there was no budget for animal control.

The guy he hired got his 30.06 and his quad and rode around town shooting stray dogs. Eventually people were in an uproar over that, so he had to fire the guy. He moved back to California soon after that.

I remember when Covelo was sort of a quiet sawmill town. Lots of nice deer and bear around there. That was before the green rush.

I remember when Covelo was sort of a quiet sawmill town. Lots of nice deer and bear around there. That was before the green rush.
I remember it alway being the Cowboys vs Indians vs Pot growers. Remember the shooting? Or were you thinking way before that.

Maybe they could trap the dogs and turn them loose in the Pelosi yard. Sounds like they might be in need of a good set of guard dogs.

I remember it alway being the Cowboys vs Indians vs Pot growers. Remember the shooting? Or were you thinking way before that.
You're right. That's why I said sort of a quiet sawmill town. I really didn't spend much time there back in the 70's. I hunted the Golden Ram Ranch one time but that was years ago too. I don't even remember if I got a deer that year. I even forget what year the mill closed now.

Ah, good old Covelo. Used to hunt Bear and Deer there yearly. Took some nice ones of both. Cut a lot of drip lines into nice small pieces while hunting there also.

Yes, but, weed is good for California! Too bad, I use to roam that area looking for that 130 inch Blacktail.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom