Thompson Center- Encore, Omega and Omega Z5

S

smellydeer

I could use some direction from all the experienced hunters that use a smoke pole. I have never hunted before with a muzzleloader but in the market to buy one now. I live in Utah and hunt deer and elk.

I am looking to buy a Thompson Center muzzy. Have heard good things about them. Can someone tell me the differences of the Encore, Omega, and Omega Z5? I looked at an Omega at Cabelas with a synthetic thumbhole stock, and am leaning that way. It is $300.- I would spend more if I had to but not sure why I should.

What about the speed breech? Is that worth looking at?

Thanks for your responses. This site is great.

The Omega is a great rifle.....as long as you don't plan on hunting in other states that require full bore conicals, like Colorado. Some Omegas shoot conicals OK, but many, like mine, don't I am trading mine if for a Knight KRB. However, if all you ever want to shoot is sabots, the Omega will be a great gun.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have killed elk with my Omega but I am switching to a Knight KRB7 this year if I get drawn as it will shoot the heavier full bore lead conicals which I am leaning towards for the bigger animals. Have had cow elk travel quite a ways with 300gr. sabot bullet hits. I also have a couple of Whites that I prefer for the big bullets. White rifles are a little hard to find since they went out of business.

I shoot 2 Omega's, both shoot conicals just fine. Not sure where that crap comes from. Takes a bit of playing to find a load that works but the cons will shoot just fine. Can't go wrong with TC

I shoot powerbelts out of my Omega and have not had any issues. You can use powerbelts in Colorado as far as I know.

Real simple solution to the problem. Knight Rifles.

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

>I shoot 2 Omega's, both shoot
>conicals just fine. Not sure
>where that crap comes from.
>Takes a bit of playing
>to find a load that
>works but the cons will
>shoot just fine. Can't go
>wrong with TC

It ain't crap!

I would love for you to try and get my Omega to shoot conicals! I have spent over 3 years trying different combinations, and the only conical that it will shoot decently is powerbelts. And the best group with powerbelts I EVER got was 4" at 100 yards.

See if you think I tinkered enough. I have used pyrodex, 777, american powder, and blackmag3. I have used only loose powder and tried from 80-120 grains of each in 5 grain increments. I used multiple different primers including the reduced 209s and the small rifle primers. I tried wads. I tried T/C maxiballs, buffalo bullets, no excuse bullets, and Honady great plains. With the exception of powerbelts, the groups I got were 2 to 8 inches AT 25 YARDS! That is right, some of the groups I got were 8 inches at twenty five yards.

I sent it to T/C telling them I could only hunt with conicals. First they shot it with sabots, and sent it back saying it was fine. I then sent it back with a paper taped over the breech saying if they weren't going to shoot conicals, don't bother shooting it. The only thing they were able to get it to shoot was with 80 grains of real black powder and T/C maixballs. AND THEY TOLD ME "WELL THE OMEGA IS REALLY A SABOT GUN". When they first came out, the website said "shoots sabots and conicals", but I defy you to find anywhere on their website now that says it will shoot conicals.

Bottom line is that there are plenty of guns that aren't so picky, and when you pay $500 for a gun, I expect it not to be so picky. And I want to shoot something with a better reputation in terminal performance than powerbelts when I elk hunt. And I don't want to have to shoot real black.

Do a search and you will see that I am not alone in my problems shooting conicals. That said, my brother has an identical Omega that is not so picky. Just the luck of the draw, but I am not the only unlucky one.

txhunter58

It does shoot sabots and powerbelts better but it will shoot other bullet. Perhaps you havent tinkered enough

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-08 AT 07:31PM (MST)[p]>
>It does shoot sabots and powerbelts
>better but it will shoot
>other bullet. Perhaps you havent
>tinkered enough

You have got to be kidding!

When I get my Knight KRB7 in the next couple of months, I bet I will have it shooting well with conicals other than powerbelts within a month.

How much more time and money should I spend "tinkering" with my Omega. Add up what I have spent already money wise, it isn't chump change. I have wasted enough time trying to make the Omega something it isn't

The only thing I haven't tried that might make a big difference is to have a gunsmith cut off the QLA. Some people have reported that this has made a big difference. Just don't think I want to put that much more into this gun.

txhunter58

I don't own an omega, but I have a tip that may help shoot conicals better. It sure has helped my guns shoot tighter groups and enabled me to shoot accurately with a little stiffer load. It's a simple tip, make your own power belts. Simply get some magnum plastic sabots and cut the petals off. Now take a file and file the top to smooth and flat. Now insert the plastic cup down in the barrel first, now stuff your conical a top of your home made plastic belt. Experiment with different size conicals, some will do better than others.

If any of you try this, let me know how it works out.

I know m/l can be very funny with different bullets. I have an omega and shoot 295 powerbelts with 90gr BlackMag3.Last 2 seasons I have killed my elk and 2 mule deer. Have had no problems shooting powerbelts in the Omega. Just my personal use.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom