Thompson Vernier peep vs Lyman 57 SML

Bruinbrewin

Looking for some feedback from people with experience on these rear sights. What are the strong points or faults with each and why do you prefer one over the other. I am looking for a little more range out of my Thompson cap rifle and need to improve the aiming system to keep my grouping. I can hold pretty good (3-4 inch) out 125 yds but was looking to get proficient out to 175 possibly 200 yds. Will both of these help me achieve this goal or neither?
BB

The Thompson vernier sight is almost impossible to find. The guys I have talked to said they were not rugged enough for hunting.
The Thompson peep is rugged enough for hunting but it does not have the bells and whistles that the 57 has.

The 57 sml can be adjusted in the field. You can have per set ranges out to how ever many yards you want. SO if you have a 100 yard shot set it to 100. If the shot is 135 yards, you set the sight between 125 and 150. You can't do that with the Thompson sight.

The sight can be taken off when you not hunting reducing the potential for damage. You can instantly slide it back on with a simple push button and it stays sighted in. I carry mine in my pocket when I am in an area I don't think will have game. I also keep it in my pocket when in the truck or ATV.

The 57 sml is a 1/4" click adjustment at 100 yards. The Thompson is not.

In my opinion the 57 sml is the better of the three. But some guys think they are not rugged enough too. I have used them for many years now. I have used mine to take deer and antelope. If other guys don't think they are rugged enough I would not let them borrow a gun of mine.

On the potential to get out to 200 yards. The front sight will need to be changed. At 200 yards the OEM front sight will cover a barn. I use the 17 AML but that will still not be enough. The sight inserts should be changed to a Lee Shavers BPCR long range insert. That set up will get you to and past 300 yards.

Lastly, it is not enough to just hit at 200 yards. The load has to have enough power to get the job done. Large conicals rule at this game. The adjustable 57 SML will adjust so you don't have a big hold over or hold under. You just use a range finder get the yardage, set the sight and hold dead on. Ron

Thanks for the info Ron!
Looks like I need to hit the range as soon as I get the new front sight. I picked up the SML yesterday and just ordered the AML this morning. I have to do a little shopping around to find the Shavers insert. Why do you prefer the Shavers over the other inserts that come with the AML?
I set the SML on the tang and inserted the rear screw and it looks like there is some interference with the stock for the sight to be straight in line with the tang, did you remove material from the sight, the stock or just shim the sight up?
Also, how about the size of the hole in the peep, do you use the original one that came with your sight or did you get a different sized peep. Looks like the original might be kind of small for me but I will need to wait for the front globe to see for sure.
Thanks a bunch for all of your help and first hand information. the learning curve is fun but not at the cost of having 3-4 different sights laying in the drawer that didn't fill my needs:)
BB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom