Tikka T3 lite vs. T3 camo (SS)

DonVathome

Very Active Member
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat105522480;cat105523380

vs.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat105522480;cat105523380

What is the difference? The 2ndone is fluted and weighs 0.1888 pounds less but costs $220 more, I think the trigger might be more adjustable and barrel might be free floating (on the 2nd one) not sure if the first one has the same features. 2nd one has a camo stock, not a big deal.

Can anyone help me out with the differences?

I want a Tikka that is stainless steel and has a synthetic stock in 300 win mag, the lighter the better.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a difference between the two besides the fluting on the barrel. A T3 is a great rifle. If you slap a limbsaver recoil pad on, I'm sure you'd be fine in a 300 WM.

I don't think the fluting and camo stock is worth the extra money. I'd put that extra cash towards quality rings and a good scope.

I've got a blue T3 in 270 WSM and it shoots way better than I can.

Don,

Both are free floated. If you decide on a Tikka you'll want to get aftermarket scope mounts, my factory mounts wouldn't hold the scope in place on the -06. I have Talley lightweight mounts on my 30-06 and DNZ one piece mounts on my .223. The DNZ are slightly lower but both have held zero through a lot of hard knocks. Keep in mind the magazine holds only 3 rounds for your larger rounds. You can load a round into the scope through the ejection port, which is a bit small, but it takes a little practice. I put a limbsaver on my 30-06 and it made a big difference.

Good Choice. I would go with the cheaper one and put the extra money towards a qaulity scope, as was recommended by someone else. I have a T3 in .300 WSM and the limbsaver reduces recoil below that of a rem 700 in 30.06. I have my rifle equiped with a Zeiss Conquest scope and Warne rings, which gives me the added confidence that my scope will not move in transit. I beat that gun up and down the mountain for 4 days, dropped it twice (even dented the scope tube), and made two nice shots into the boiler room on a muley running about 225 yards away and downhill, this year. I love this gun. I have the blued version. I have never messed with the trigger either. Can't say enough good things about these tikkas, except throw away the factory rings for added confidence with the bigger calibers.

I have the t3 lite in 7mm mag with limbsaver recoil, Warne rings and a muzzle break and Zeiss conquest 6.5x20. I love it. Took a elk and deer this year with it. One shot kills. I would recommend the break. Just makes it that much more enjoyable to shoot.

Who put the brake on for you? Is it CRAZY loud even with hearing protection? I have heard really bad stuff about shooting it, even once, without hearing protection (like hunting). Can the brake be taken off?

>There must be some other upgrades
>with the flutted barrel version?
>Yes?

I think the appeal of that rifle is that it is lighter than the T3 lite. The fluting cuts a bit of weight off of the rifle. I'm pretty sure that's the only difference besides the camo stock. Both sportsmans and cabelas have these as a "special run" for their stores. Thats probably why it's quite a bit more money. I'd go handle both of them and decide if the weight is worth the extra cash. A blued T3 300 WM is $349 at my local sports authority... Now that's a steal.

I missed out on a chance to buy a SS T3 30-06 at the same store for $449. I was bummed it had sold when I walked in to purchase it.

I have the Tikka T3 Lite in .300 win mag and love it. It has been the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. Every gun is different though, and you will have to make the decision on which gun your prefer.

If I'm at the range I use ear protection but never during a hunt. y break is permanent. Nightowl in slc Utah did mine. I love it. The T3 is a very light gun. I wouldn't need one any lighter.

I have a Tikka T3 lite in 300 WSM and love it. I actually went into a gun store with more money and was set on getting a browning 300 wsm (cant remember the model) the owner talked me out of the more expensive browning and had me sold on the Tikka. Since then I have had a bunch of friends purchase the same gun. I have shot numerous Deer/Bear/Coyotes with it. It is a pleasure packing it in the Eberlestock pack. Because it has been so reliable I have had multiple friends use my gun to take their animals as well. Buying the limbsaver recoil pad is good advice. I can't say enough good things about the gun.

Save coin, get SS Tikka T3. Regarding break, I use to say I would never had one. Have one now and while you need to protect your ears as much as possible, they really help. I shoot a 7mm and can spot my shot impacts, which is super on big deer/elk in the field. Recoil is never a problem in the field, but shooting a hundred rounds a summer, it sure is nice. Spend that saved money on a good scope, and if it doesn't shoot better than MOA with a few rounds, take it into a smith and get it bedded. I do recommend a better aftermarket stock, I enjoy my B&C medalist.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom