Time For Hunting Partner

Thunderclapper

My friend drew a Montana sheep tag in a backpacking area and he needs my help. He has helped pack out multiple animals with me, never complaining. In fact his attitude is so good that the "work" part of the hunt is fun.

We all have limited time, so how much of this resource do I devote to a good friend on an out-of-state once-in-a-lifetime trophy backpack hunt? Do I take time out of a hunt I had planned with my 13 year old? How hard would you strain the resource of time for this type of opportunity?

If you and your son have been planning this trip for quite some time and he's looking forward to it, don't short change him. I'd base it on how your son feels about the hunt you two had planned somewhat. Depending on how often you and your son get to hunt, etc - your own son comes first in my opinion - no brainer.

+1 muleymaddness. Family hunts come first and the friend should understand that if he is truly a good friend.

Steve

See if you can get an over the counter tag for a game species (cow elk, doe muley, pronghorn,etc.) in the same unit as your friend for your 13 year old. Might be exciting for your kid to get to hunt out of state and maybe able to help your friend on his hunt as well. Just a thought.
WVBOWAK

I agree with WVBowHunterinAlaska; Why not take your kid with you and include him on the experience. If you can get an OTC for him and/or you too, GREAT - BONUS! Most of all, you will also be teaching him some of the fundamentals which are Comaraderie and Family, and let's face it...what kid wouldn't want more time in the field with their Father sharing all of those stories and experiences to learn from.

Just my 2?...

?-ERock-> ?

Frankly, I see it as a golden opportunity to instill some adult values in your son. He could learn the value of friendship and obligation.

He may be able to go with you guys, but even if not, at 13, you can probably make it up to him.

Either way, there is a lesson here; you develop some communication skills with your son and convince him why you are obligated to help your friend, who has helped you in the past, or; you blow off your friend and show your son that it is OK to be a chithead when it is convenient for you.

Life is full of disappointments. How you learn/teach young people to cope with them is VERY valuable.

No question in my mind how I would deal with it.

Well said nickman. Take your son along with you if he is up for the backpacking. If your friend has helped you out as much as you say then you owe him and your son should be able to understand/learn to appreciate that.

I had a friend take 10 days off to help me on my OIL MT Goat. I can't tell you how much it meant to have him there. When he draws his OIL hunt you know I am going to be there for him, no excuses.

I spent 20 days out of state last year for the exact same thing....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

There is some great advice from some good people on here. I agree, take your son on this once-in-a-lifetime hunt. Better yet, give your son a somewhat quality inexpensive video camera and let him do some filming. It might really get that fire burning!

....and don't get any other tags...it is a sheep hunt, not a party. Concentrate on sheep.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom