tire chains question

I run chains on the front of my stock tundra (not recommended by toyota).
You don't need much clearance up front, I have about 1 1/2" clearance from my suspension parts and the chain takes less than half that. Just need to make sure they are TIGHT and stay TIGHT.
Also my clearance to the fenders is good too unless I take a jump on a moto-cross track then they will probably hit.

I don't use bungee cords, I use ratchet straps to keep the chains tight and no issues. Also less likely to throw a chain too with a ratchet strap holding it on vs a bungee cord.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

Do you just get a short ratchet strap and weave it through the outside chains? What about excess strap?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I use the standard length like 7' or so. I make a star pattern weaving it through and then any leftover I just finish tying up a star and then wrap it around itself or chain and make a real small tie knot so it isn't likely to hook on any thing.
I guess if a person wanted to they could cut them to length so you wouldn't have extra strap hanging off. I don't use chains often so I don't want to carry 4 extra straps in the truck just for my chains.

Mntman

>wah wah wah......
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

another thing, put your chains on at home and test them out for clearance in the yard/street just to make sure they work before you "need" them.
Mntman

>wah wah wah......

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]With my change in hunting location, we will be hunting some roads that can get muddy, and I hear it has been a wet summer. Want to be prepared for anything. Always nice to be able to go were others can't on bad roads. They have also closed a bunch of 4 wheeler roads where we will hunt, which is a good thing for the hunting there. We are also taking our mountain bikes for those areas since they are legal.

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-14 AT 04:38PM (MST)[p]Just realize that if you put chains on the front end of a truck that the manufacturer says not to that you can do thousands of dollars of damage to the front end components. The chains in the Walmart ad say they are made for emergency type situations out on the highway. It doesn't sound like they are for off road heavy duty use like you would need in a hunting situation.

Those from Cabelas are like what I have for the rear of my 2006 Silverado. I have never looked to even see if I could put any on the front, but I'm pretty sure I could. However, I've never been in any spot where I needed all four chained and don't plan to be in the future.

The back wheels will handle the V-bar fine, it is just the front I am thinking of using the S type

txhunter58

Almost a year to the day I bought a 2013 Tacoma. This was my only disappointment. Not having enough clearance to put chains on the front. What kind of an engineer would design a 4-wheel drive like that? One that doesn't live out west. :( I wish I could say I have would a solution but I haven't. I think the limiting factor is the UCP arm (sp) at about 12:00 on the upper inside sidewall. I think the s-chains might work but don't have any experience. I did buy a new set of wheels with different backspacing but gained only 3/4 inch clearance. So I next got a set of studded DuraTrax & hope for the best.

Have a great hunting season whatever you do?

It isn't just toyotas, my buddies got newer Chevys and it messed up the abs system and also voids warranty! Thank god for old fords!

I hate tire cords that are advertised as tire chains.

This last weekend while hunting I ran into this guy. Those cable things would not have worked at all.

6235image.jpg

2161image.jpg

7844image.jpg

9243image.jpg

>I hate tire cords that are
>advertised as tire chains.
>
>This last weekend while hunting I
>ran into this guy. Those
>cable things would not have
>worked at all.
>
>
6235image.jpg

>
>
2161image.jpg

>
>
7844image.jpg

>
>
9243image.jpg

Frontal lobotomy is the only fix for that one! Then again u can't fix stupid!

I ordered the V-bar for the rear tires and the Auto-trac for the front. Will let you know how they work

txhunter58

Always better to put em on b4 yer sideways in the mud hole. If u have the option that's my recommendation.

First and foremost go get a good set of tire! Seriously, with a good set of mud tires and a little driving ability you should never need chains. I have hunted all over Colorado and WY for years and have taken my vehicle places that would scare most people. In all that time I have never needed chains. You should use chains as an emergency backup to get out? If you need it just to get around or in then your screwed if it get worse.

As far as new trucks, get a tight fitting chain use a strap to suck it up real tight. Tie up you loose ends. Etc.

For tires get on craigslist and find a set of rims for your truck that are cheap. Then go to tread wright and get a set of aggressive mud tires!

Get the gaurd dogs or the max trap! They are priced great and last pretty good!

I am also looking into snow chains as well for an upcoming late season elk hunt. I have a Ford F-150 FX4 and looking into several options, many of which have already been mentioned above. Good things to know when the snow starts falling!

The ratchet straps....I'm there and like that one. Usually any damage to the vehicle would come if a chain were to break or come loose, so I approached the chain issue as follows:

I drive a 2012 Power Wagon, they are factory lifted 2-1/2" so the fender clearance wasn't really an issue, the breaking of a chain I felt was, so I got 2 sets of semi chains and cut them down to fit the BFG T/As that come stock. I'm not a fan of using the chains to get into problems, only getting out of problems. As with most things, it's discretion and how you go about it.

Good luck guys

Just plan on cutting the ratchet straps off when they freeze rock hard.... but they work great when it's warm.

Editorial AKA rant: I can't even count the times I've run with 4 tires all chained up. It's a lucky year if I make it through without doing so. Sometimes they have to stay on for days to get the job done. Call me crazy... or serious about hunting.
Are you really telling me that there are trucks out there that cannot run chains on the front? Do we have a bunch of vaginas designing our truck nowadays? God help us all!

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-14 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]Zeke---That was one way of putting it, LOL! Yes, there are a number of the newer 4x4 trucks that will not take chains on the front without a huge risk of massive damage to the ABS and other systems up front! Go figure huh!!!

So it sounds like alotta u guys like puttin yer chains on in the mud hole? That must be fun for u.

>So it sounds like alotta u
>guys like puttin yer chains
>on in the mud hole?
>That must be fun for
>u.

NO, I don't DW, that's why I run them before I really need them (too bad I don't always listen to myself) and the best place for 1 set is ON THE FRONT. The second set goes on and off the rear as needed.
I've also chained up all four on the quad a few times. I love to see a guy stuck in the middle of the road on opening day. We have the whole country to ourselves for the first 4 hours. That day, in particular, 3 daughters killed bucks and 2 of them were big 4x4's. We got 'em before the guys blasted by in their trucks and spooked 'em all off. Almost too easy that day! almost...

Good times to all and may you all get stuck at least once this year. It will mean you're actually doing something!
Zeke

Well, used my Cabelas points and got a set of the low profile for the front and regular V-bar for the back. Just arrived today. One other point to remember. Try new chains on at home to be sure they fit before you need them in the field! Will be checking mine out for size tomorrow. Leave next Wedensday!

txhunter58

The road to our base camp is sketchy at best. We chain up at the bottom all the way around. Every year (2 yrs ago 7) some Jackwagon without chains or those goofy cable "chains" ends up side ways blockin the road! Spend the money buy chains and put em on! The little u use them every year they'll last till the next great tire chain invention. And as I said put them on in a nice dry flat spot off the road so as not to impede others. You'll b much happier than doin it in the mud.

YES, put them on before they are needed! Not only will save time, effort and a few select words, very likely could save some money from vehicle damage.
Plus you can get them on way tighter when you do it on flat ground and not already stuck.

Mntman

>wah wah wah......

There used to be an abandoned shed at the base of the mountain where we hunted. If there was more than 4 inches of snow at the base I knew there would be a foot or more at the top.
I would pull under he shed, put on the chains where it was flat and dry and then have a great day on the mountain.

I wouldn't put those "chains" on my wife's car. Any truck that doesn't have clearance for tire chains doesn't belong in my garage let alone on the mountain

Where we hunt in ID, it is usually very muddy, gooey, slick in October. Especially the 2 creeks the road goes thru.
If you don't chain up...all 4 wheels, 1) you don't get to camp. 2) you will end up in the bottom of a ravine or some other truck damaging situation.
I use heavy duty peerless v bar chains with star tensioners on all 4 wheels. I have Goodyear Duratracs to boot on my 08 duramax powered 2500hd silverado. I had to do some inner fender work to make clearance, but i now can go lock to lock with no problems.

>Well, used my Cabelas points and
>got a set of the
>low profile for the front
>and regular V-bar for the
>back. Just arrived today.
> One other point to
>remember. Try new chains
>on at home to be
>sure they fit before you
>need them in the field!
>Will be checking mine out
>for size tomorrow. Leave next
>Wedensday!
>
>txhunter58

>Hey David,

How did your new chains work on your Colorado hunting trip? I will be needing some good chains late next month in Wyoming...

Chains on all four has been a common occurrence for my life time.
My 99 dodge feed truck is chained 110+ days a year.
Before Global warming hunted with four chains 20+ days a year.
My rant is my huntin/guiding rig is a 2009 four door Rubicon..

Yea Sway bar disconnect, push button lockers heavy axels-drive lines, built as the best off road stock rig out there. Got to modify so 2 and a half lift, wench,
beefed rear bumper to get the spare off the tail gate. TOYO Open Country AT?s The only 10 ply side walls I could find, Love them. Great rig?

The( engineers )send ?JEEP RUBICONS? out of the factory with no clearance to run chains.!
Judas blanking priest. !!!! Inch and ? spacer kit $210... Get a little mud on the doors..
Bring it on Mother Nature, bring it on?.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom