Tire Chains

Get good quality chains and good tensioners and buy all 4 right away!

Can't kill em from the couch!

I did it 2 ways. One set for pavement and one set of mud chains. You go off road and need to chain up there ain't much that will stop the cleated mud chains.

I don't trust the "regular" tire chains you get at the part store.

I scoured the interestate after a snow storm, and have enough chains for 5 tires. I find the ones for semis, and cut them down to fit. You have better side traction in mud and snow, bigger lugs.

I also don't use normal tensioners. I use 14" bungee cords. They hold up longer, are cheaper, keep the chains tighter, and are easier to put on.

Later,

Marcial

What about getting the spikes shot in your tires? my mud tires have the pilot holes on the lugs for the spikes. About how much does this cost and will they last on the pavement to get me to the mtn roads? I'm from Mississippi and will only be there to hunt.

make sure you buy the longest spikes so when driving across the Midwest and you're setting off grass fires along the interstate pavement the cops can't stop you by throwing spike mats out in front of you..by the time you reach the Rockies they'll be well broke in...

sorry I misphrased that a little bit. Beings we dont need chains or spikes in Mississippi there is no where to get them here. I will be getting them in town in Colorado just before I go up the mountain. Are they any good? Anybody use them, because i hate chains.

If you are going off road definitely go with chains. I don't think the spikes will do you nearly as good a job as chains in mud and snow off roading. If it's a paved road though, they would probably do ok. Just my $.02.

There are no spikes you can put in your tires. There are studs. Small steel rods that sit within the rubber of your tires. They don't stick out from the rubber far maybe 1 or 2mm. There purpose is for icy road conditions and will provide no benefit on a dirt road.

IMO a guy from the south aught not be traveling where he needs chains. Sounds like a recipe for a rescue.

Well thanks for the advice on that one. As far as the guy from the south quote, if a rescue is what it takes then so be it, but i'm still coming hunting.

As stated, get the heavy duty ones with cleats. Also, some later model pickups (some Chevy's I think) can't use chains because there is not enough room when you turn! Talk about a poor design!! Can you imagine a 4x4 pickup that CAN'T use chains??? Better be sure yours will handle.

If you only have one set, put them on the front, that is where your weight and steering is. If two sets, by all means, put them on all 4.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to be rude or nothing.

Allow me to elaborate. In my experience 4x4 has gotten me just about everywhere I ever needed to go. Now I have needed chains when out messing around. They are great for winter yote and rabbit hunting when you are trying to get long distances in very remote country in deep snow. I have never needed them for a deer hunt. I figure if I have fresh deep snow (needing chains) I just got an opportunity at migrating game. And it serves me best to stay below the deep snow.

It's just smart to be prepared for anything when out afield. And I encourage anyone to carry chains for emergency. Jumper cables and a shovel too but I don't encourage them to use it unless they have to.

Chains are expensive....."good chains are expensive".

If you need to chain up, on the highway, to get to where you are actually going to be hunting, you better have the best ones you can afford, learn how to put them on and stay out of the traffic lane while you are installing or removing them.

The dumbest thing on this planet is a retard, stopped in the middle of the road messing with tire chains, while other drivers and snow removal equipment are needing to get by.

Check them for tightness often and if you hear ANY noise, stop IN A SAFE PLACE immediately and adjust them. You won't appreciate the damage a loose chain can do to your fenders.

On a 4x4, put them on the front. If chains are required on all four tires.....hit a motel till the road department gets a handle on the conditions. Especially if you have little experience in snow country.

At the point that you get off pavement, chaining up to GET TO a site on a dirt road is not a good plan. Putting chains on to LEAVE an area is sometimes a necessity.

They are called "snow chains" not "mud chains".

In snow, with pavement under it, they work good. In snow, on a dirt road, you are simply driving a really heavy roto tiller. You can bury yourself in a mudhole of your own creation in a hurry.

*****All you big time 4x4 guys don't need to spank me about that statement*****The man said he was inexperienced.

Deer and elk don't like snow any more than we do and as has been stated, stay below the snow and wait for them to come down out of it.

One more thing, a chained up tire is only about 25 percent as effecient as a tire on dry pavement. Be careful not to be in a hurry.

Forget tire studs. They are for ice only and have zero value in snow or mud. Same thing goes for cable chains.....useless!

If you need chains to get into somewhere, you dont need to be there!! Use them to get OUT only!

Try them on at the store, most parts stores will let you test fit them. Make sure they are tight and dont have more than 2-3 extra links where you connect them spinning around. BUY THE HEAVY DUTY CHAINS! The el cheapo's will just break and do you no good! if a chain comes loose and you dont stop immediately you just ruined your hunt for repairs. They can take out abs sensors, brake lines, control arms, fenders. Its best to have someone show you what to do and how to do it right. If you put them on backwards kiss your tire goodbye (ya you can do that).

If you have never messed with chains before, I would steer clear of them. I have to mess with them for work and they are a pain! Every year we have a new lease operator that screws his truck up with them from not knowing how to do it or not paying close enough attention to it. You really do have to babysit them and sometimes its not worth it.

Buy some good mud tires and go have fun, thats all you should really need. as stated above if you need chains to get into where the deer are wait it out or walk in and hunt.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I've had experience with them. Just decided it's time to break down and buy a set for myself instead of borrowing. We're headed into a trail head that is darn near 10,000 feet. I want to make sure I can get the rig out if the weather turns bad on us. Your info has been helpful. Thanks

I bought a brand new set of semi chains off ksl for 30 bucks. I cut them down and they fit perfect. One of the best investments I made! Heavy duty and the cam locks make them super fast no bungies!

Les Schwab has cam-lock chains. If you don't use them, take them back in the spring for a full refund.

I have a set in my truck any time I'm hunting. They can be the difference in a ride out, and a helluva walk out.

Oh yeah, I have seen them work awesome in mud...way better than in snow.

Grizzly

I'd go with a good brand like Weed or Campbell and stay away from those made in China like Kwuik Grips. Weed used to make some killer chains with V bars welded to the links. Great for off road. I use double link truck chains that I made years ago from truck chains I found. Also great for off road.

Keep the hooks on the links turned out and the chains tight on the tires. Use chain tightners at least on the steer tires and watch (listen) for anything rubbing.

If you stay on the highway only you can get bye with cable chains. These are not for off road though.

I've hunted places in Wyoming and Colorado where if it rains, you chain up. Mud can be pretty silck and chains will help.

Moose

I always have a set in my truck. I don't use them very often but when I need them they are worth their weight in gold.

Use them to get out, not get in...

Using chains on the front tires of a late model chevy have nothing to do with clearance. They are not recommended because of the independent front suspension and CV Shafts. Any vehicle with this design of front suspension is not recommended to be used with tire chains. you run the risk of snapping a cv shaft. Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, etc. If you can't get in without chains you have no business being there.

Striker, I have two late model GMC pickups. One is a 2007 half ton extended cab while the other is a 2008 3/4 ton crew cab. Both are 4X4. Are you recommending that I DO NOT put tire chains on the front wheels on either of these trucks? I never have used chains on them but probably would have if I had a need to. Taken both trucks to Colorado before. Thanks for your advice.

i believe its called utah barrel in slc. they have all types of chains. i got a good set that fit 35s and only used them once in the deep snow but having them saved me a lot of trouble

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-10 AT 07:02PM (MST)[p]I've had chains on numerous chevs/gmc without a problem. Ford f150 and toyotas too. Never had a problem and the truck gets beat when I have them on my work truck. gotta get on location......

Striker, all your doing with chains is adding traction. There's no difference with them on than having it in 4wd in semi slick terrain.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I bought mine at Walmart. They were about 60 bucks for two. I bought two sets, and used them all on one hunt to get up a particularly steep and nasty snow and ice-covered "road". They did the job. I've used them only a few times since then and they've held up fine. For use once in a while, I recommend them. In fact, I'll throw them in the back of the truck when traveling any distance in the winter time. I'd say on a typical deer or elk hunt you'd have to work to find a reason to use them, unless your area has a particularly steep and nasty snow and ice-covered "road".

I understand what chains are used for. They are for the ultimate traction possible. Therefore they are used in the most adverse conditions that your vehicle is capable of handling(traction wise).
I have seen unbelievable things happen with them on and have used them many times. What I am saying is that they are not recommended on pickups with Independent front suspension using CV shafts. CV shafts are not as robust as a Front solid axle. If a pickup slips a front wheel and gains sudden traction the risk of snapping a front CV shaft is very real. And its a bad place to be if you need chains to get where you are. I would only recommend them to be used on the rear tires in this application. If you need validation of this point please Google it.

I want to throw my two cents in on this one. I haul hay and cubes up a steep snowy road in Utah to our ranch during the winter, and have been using tire chains for 6 years now on several different trucks, including 04' Dodge diesel, 07 Chevy Duramax, and several older GM's.

Most of the advice given on here is sound. Our ranch has a 6 mile rough, rocky, steep road winding up from 5000 ft elevation at the bottom, to 9500 at the top where I unload the hay.

Buy heavy duty chains and tighteners and test fit them before you need them. Always listen for thumping and clanging. Stop and tighten when you hear anything bumping. Go slow. Never go so fast that if a chain comes undone it will damage your truck to the tune of a lot of $. If you spin the tires with rock under the snow you will tear the chains apart. Try to go slow enough that they just grab and go. Sometimes you need to give it all you got, but that's when things break and cause problems. Easy does it to avoid broken chains and vehicles.

We hunt Colorado, and I won't go there without a set of chains for the mud and the snow. The mountains are steep, and the roads can get so slick with rain or snow that trucks slide off and roll down the mountain. We've seen several trucks on their tops in the bottom of the wash cause they slid on the mud and went off the road. Chain up and ease out of there.

Saw one guy two years ago that drove in a little road in a Ford Terra Trac. Road was slick and uphill to get back out. He had been there four hours trying to burn up the hill to get back on the main road. We had chains and drove down in and pulled him out the top. One thankful dude to see us!

If your tires are too big for the fender wells, the chains will rub when you turn too sharp. Check that before you need them. Get on a dirt road and install the chains and drive down the road a ways and turn the wheels to see if you have problems.

I pack a spare cold link to fix a broken chain too just in case something breaks.

U joints aren't much stronger than cv's. Some manufacturers are using cv's instead of u joints to keep the steering wheel from bouncing or binding in sharp turns. Yes on solid axles.

I googled it, found some interesting stuff about it. It still wont make me not put chains on the front on a IFS truck. If you only have 1 set of chains they work so much better on the front with all the weight and help with steering its worth the chance to me. Deerbedead said it great.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

mywifehateshuntingseason What did you finally do regarding chains? I'm in Brookhaven, and I'm going too.

Your truck's owner's manual will give the manufacturer's recommendations regarding using chains. WHAT...Read the instructions !!!

My Toyota Tundra Manual says "NO" on the front. A look under the front and it's easy to see why.

I have Firestone Ride Rites under the rear, so I had to get 1.5" wheel spacers. Even then, I got NAPA to order Class "S" chains. They are smaller high tensile chains, but they don't have the bite that normal chains have. It's just a trade off to fine something that will fit without doing damage to your truck.

Before you die.....Take time to live

"If you need chains to get into somewhere, you dont need to be there!! Use them to get OUT only!"

If you hunt in Southwest Wyoming this statement is completely false. With a little moisture, the clay in the roads become a sticky, greasy mess. Without chains on all 4 you cannot access any country that you hunt. If you decide to wait until the roads are dry, you might miss the entire season. Mud tires are not enough...you absolutely need chains.

The best advice I received was put the chains on BEFORE you need them.

"If you need chains to get into somewhere, you dont need to be there!! Use them to get OUT only!"

"Deer and elk don't like snow any more than we do and as has been stated, stay below the snow and wait for them to come down out of it. "

I guess you guys have never hunted late seasons in Colorado with those statements.

We take our kids hunting in December and most years we have to chain up to get up to where the elk are.

dwalton...you are on the money ! I've been there too and without chains you really can miss the whole season.

Moose

Magicman, I have not purchased any yet. I will be going the 2nd season and shouldn't even need them. I usually go with a group and they have a set that fits my truck. We only put them on once before and really didn't need them them. They were more trouble than help. Looking at the weather forecast I dont think that they will be needed for the 2nd season. I have a Dodge 3/4 ton with mud tires and it works pretty good in the mud and snow. My only concern was the ice on the roads but should be plenty other vehicles breaking that up. If it looks like they will be needed then i will just get a pair when i get to Colorado. So where and when will you be going?

"Looking at the weather forecast I dont think that they will be needed for the 2nd season?"

LOLOL! They can predict the weather in my area pretty well for about 6-12 hours in advance. Glad they are doing better for Colorado.

Remember your Boy Scout training: "be prepared"

I would put usefulness of chains on front vs back at 80/20. Chains only in the back just aren't nearly as effective due to weight and lack of steering control. Designing a 4x4 truck to not be able to use front chains is just dumb!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

The only issue you might run into with that truck is clearing your fenders if you have oversize tires. If they are bigger than a 285 chances are you will need to special order them.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

mywifehateshuntingseason, 2nd season. We are leaving Tuesday AM. Good luck to you too.

Before you die.....Take time to live

>"Looking at the weather forecast I
>dont think that they will
>be needed for the 2nd
>season?"
>
>LOLOL! They can predict the
>weather in my area pretty
>well for about 6-12 hours
>in advance. Glad they
>are doing better for Colorado.
>
>
>Remember your Boy Scout training:
>"be prepared"
>
>I would put usefulness of chains
>on front vs back at
>80/20. Chains only in
>the back just aren't nearly
>as effective due to weight
>and lack of steering control.
> Designing a 4x4 truck
>to not be able to
>use front chains is just
>dumb!
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

I agree, but then again I grew up driving a a '48 willys jeep, so when I see jeeps with dash boards I just shake my head at that. We used a set of cut down deuce and a half chains(national guard surplus) on the Willys. They made it unstopable but we often got to fix the front end. IF you need chains to get in you don't need to be there? Not an alpha male,but grow a sack. The best part of late season hunting is the getting there, and yeah when there is two feet of snow on frozen dirt, you don't hurt the road with or without chains. New trucks are basically just 4x4 cars, yeah I own one, but tell me you all that are old enough wouldn't a lot rather have an 70's chev or old highboy with the granny gear to do you back country roading. Seriously, I just saw the Jeep Cherokee commercial with it off roading. That thing is a freaking low rider station wagon. The wagoneer would do everything the cherokee does, while hauling the the cherokee on the roof. Yup I just went into reminicing mode, but the detroit engineers have forgoten that some of us still use trucks as trucks.

Used truck chains really do work by cutting them down to fit your tires.

Note: If you hate putting those chains on(in the mud and snow) it easier to just chain up a couple of spares and carry them in the back of the truck and mount them if they are needed, plus you have two spares in case you need them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom