To mount or not to mount - Displaying shed antlers

C

Corihor

I was fortunate enough to end up with a nice set of sheds, after spending all winter watching and waiting for them to drop. He scores about 214.

Now that I've got them, I'm wondering what to do with them. I'd like to display them somehow, but I'm undecided on how. Thought about buying a cape and doing a full head mount, but part of me thinks that would be weird because I didn't shoot it...and for some reason in my mind, I feel that full head mounts are reserved for animals you've killed. Maybe that's just me though. On the other hand, this set would look the best if they were displayed that way. I've also thought about putting them on a MM replica skull, but this isn't a mediocre 180-ish set, it's a real trophy! And I don't know if I could bring myself to drill holes in the bases....I don't know why. It's just a piece of bone, but I wish I could leave it the way it is. I've also thought about just mounting them on a plaque, but in my mind, that's what you do with smaller antlers, like smaller 3-4 points. These antlers need to be on the wall and not in a pile on the floor! That's all I have figured out so far. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON May-03-12 AT 11:43AM (MST)[p]With a set like that I would certainly do a mount. I wouldn't feel funny or wierd about doing so. You may not have killed the buck, but you still found his antlers. Besides we can all appreciate a nice big buck on the wall.

Share some pics!

Are you ever gonna kill a buck that big? Probably not. Did you hunt hard for that set? I've invested more time scouting, watching, patterning, and then seareching for a trophy calibar set of sheds than I ever spent on a buck I've killed. That set is a trophy. It deserves to be on a head mount, if you can afford it. If not, leave it as is and just fondle it daily.

I've mounted several sets, and last year found my biggest. But I just can't bring myself to mount it. I like holding them.

Lets see the set

Yelum

i agree with you that it would be wierd to do a shoulder mount on an animal that you didnt kill, but at 200+.... i say do it

if i found a set like that i would get one of those antler holder things that holds them in the same position they would be on the head. or you could make one if you have the tools. and then i would put that on the wall. you can do like a regular horn mount if you want or put that on a plaque or whatever. even those metal heads are a cool idea for sheds. that way everyone will still know they are sheds but they are still on your wall and mounted up. i got a set of moose sheds i will be doing that with. just the antler holder and a nice plaque behind it. maybe a metal head. not sure yet.
deer-81
fresh-13
sets-3
elk-22
fresh-7
sets-3

This should be your decision. If it is something you think you would enjoy then by all means do it! Don't worry about what someone else thinks.

I have 3 deer shed shoulder mounts including my 2 biggest sets ever. I really enjoy them, way more so then just sheds in a pile. Like someone else mentioned, I put way more time and effort in to scouting, monitoring, and searching for those antlers than I have for any animal I have killed. I am more proud of the shed finds than the harvested animals I have (and I have some decent ones). So much has to come together to land a big set of sheds, just like it would with finding and hunting a big buck.

My vote... mount em, you won't regret it! :)

I would say mount them. We hunted a big buck up on the strip for a number of years and were never able to get him killed. I found his set from 2008 and one side from 2009. I had them shoulder mounted with rods so that they can be removed and I can put another set in if I want. My girlfriend makes fun of me because I did not kill him but even a set of sheds can be impressive. I would definitly mount them and be proud of them if I was you just tell everyone they are sheds you found......as long as you dont say you killed it there is no shame in mounting sheds in my opinion.

I say do whatever you feel like. I really don't care what people think about my passions. I have yet to mount any of the sets I've found,as they are just nice sets, not spectacular. And I have them stored in baskets, so any time I want to re-examine I can. But almost every set and some of the nicer singles almost to the antler, I could tell the story or replay the moment I found them!I have yet to kill a muley buck worthy of mounting, but I have found shed hunting very enjoyable, even if I get skunked. And just like hunting, maybe I'll be fortunate to find that "30-incher" or that "200 incher". It's living a dream even to have the opportunity to get out afield and "hunt for 'em". If you do your mount, hope to see pics in the forseeable future!

Mount em up. There are lots of guys wishing they could find a 200" plus set. They are just as hard to come by as finding one and killing him. Post em up.

Do you guys know how they mount sheds on a cape? Do they drill into the bottom of the horn? How else would they secure them? I'm just curious because it would be hard to make the decision to drill anything over 200". Just my opinion. Also, does anybody have the link to the thread where people were posting their sets that they had mounted on capes?

Im kind of like you. I dont know I would ever put a set of sheds on a shoulder mount. Its just an opinion though. I understand why people do but thats not me. I would hurt to just throw them in the pile with the other normal sheds. Congrats on the sheds

yes they drill the bases and then epoxy in the square pegs......usually shave the slightests bit of horn off the base too so that it is flat and can sit propperly.
9822shed_base.jpg

This is how mine was done anyway.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom