Too mount or not to mount? And how rare?

IdahoBugler

Guys and gals I need some help here. I have never really had any intentions on mounting (I'm talking Taxidermy, Moosie) a turkey but after taking this turkey I thought I might. My questions are is it rare for a Merriams to have 4 beards? Each beard is about 1" apart so they are definetly seperate beards. Would you guys mount a turkey like this? He pretty much has most of his feathers and wasn't hammered to bad. I talked with one taxidermist here and he charges $550 for any pose I choose. Does this sound resonable? He sends the heads back east to be freeze dried. Which he said is the best because they are more realistic. Is this true? Also if I get it done what pose should I do to show of all the beards?

Thanks guys for any help you can give.

P1000645.jpg

P1000653.jpg

Congrats on a great bird! I'd have it mounted for sure, thats likely the last 4 bearded bird you'll ever shoot or see. I'd mount it in the strutting pose all puffed out.

AntlerQuest Hunt Consulting

I'd have it mounted. $550 is a reasonable price if he does good work, and I definately preferred freeze-dried heads. A lot of taxidermists use artificial heads, and you don't get the detail, and the hairs that are on a turkey head.

You'll regret it if you don't have it mounted. I would also vote for full strutt.

Mount it, mount it, mount it, mount it.........oops, I just like to mount........ur, never mind.
Congrats on a great bird, I guess you know what I would do.

Lien2

I thought about the strut pose but does it really show off the beards that well. The taxi thought a gobbling pose from a tree limb would really show off the beards. I'm going to go tonight and check out the different poses. Thanks for the comments guys.

Later,
IB

I killed an Eastern a few years ago with three beards, and I had It mounted flying and I love it. My taxidermist (in Oklahoma) used the freeze dried head and it looks great. I don't think that I would ever mount a turkey with the artificial foam heads they look to fake. I say go for it, it's worth the $500. Congrats on a rare bird...

Do it...nice bird. Congrats on a rare kill...you'll kick yourself in the years to come if oyu don't do it! Good luck!
PDUB

On the limb will definitely show the beards the best, but the strutting/gobbling is a good alternative and can be made to work.You do have to seriously consider between the 2 how you will display at home. And having kids would make me want it on a limb probably. Or dogs and cats in the house. If not a strutting bird may be best on a end table type setup at the minimum.

One other thing to consider is that the beards can be put on any turkey you mount just in case this one is not as great a shape as you think it should be.

Freeze dried head for sure. The foam ones aren't bad but have no hairs etc.... Be very careful with the mount, freeze dried invites dermestids(bugs) so keep it in an exterminated home and might have to fumigate it from time to time depending...Its not the result of bad taxidermy but from a bug that likes to eat skin(not meat) for some reason.

As to rarity-- I"m only a bit knowledgeable on Rio Grands but have shot 3 or 4 over about 15 years that had multiples. A hunter in our group shot one that had either 7 or 9 IIRC. I don't think its very common even in Rio's, but its not extremely rare. As a comparison I've shot more deer than turkeys and have a few non typicals but no drop tines. Please don't take this as a slam. I"d be super happy with the Tom.

Hazel creek does super work and super heads. Its who did all my turkey heads when I was in the trade.... Cost wise you get what you pay for. If its Hazel Creek for 550 don't let the door hit ya.....

Jeff

My buddy is a carpenter and he has built octagonal end tables to house full strut mounts. They are just plain awesome, and the bird is well protected. Oak frame and beveled glass all around...sweeeeeeeet!
HB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom