43. 385 6/8 Coconino, AZ
44. 385 6/8 Coconino, AZ
45. 385 6/8 Graham, AZ
46. 385 4/8 Powder River, MT
47. 385 4/8 Wasatch, UT
48. 385 3/8 Garfield, UT
49. 385 3/8 Park, WY
50. 385 2/8 San Juan, UT

That list isn't including this past years bulls. There will be a few get bumped. Thanks to some big azz utah bulls gettin spanked last fall.

And 18 of those are all from Utah, that's almost half!!
Utah definately sports the title of "The best elk state for trophy bulls"....any way you look at it.

That must be some new math calculation you have
18 of 50 is 36 percent not 50.

Where you can get a tag is the best elk state! It does not matter how many are on what list if you don't EVER draw. What about the non-typical list? And the P&Y list? I can't the accessto get those I would.

UTAH HAS SOME GREAT BULLS, BUT ITS HARD TO CALL IT A GREAT ELK HUNTING STATE WHEN YOU GET A TAG ONCE IN A 20 PLUS YEAR PERIOD. IT BOILS DOWN TO A ONCE IN A LIFETIME TAG FOR THE PEOPLE I KNOW IN THE DRAW.----YD.

isayNUNYA,

amen! Some smokers still arent in there..
buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Top 50 RM Non-typical elk since 2001

1. 444 4/8 Coconino, AZ
2. 442 3/8 Gila, AZ
3. 429 6/8 Navajo, AZ
4. 426 Ribstone Creek, AB
5. 424 6/8 Lincoln, NV
6. 422 4/8 Battle River, AB
7. 421 7/8 Kittitas, WA
8. 417 1/8 Apache, AZ
9. 416 5/8 Cibola, NM
10. 415 6/8 Nye, NV
11. 414 6/8 Navajo, AZ
12. 413 5/8 Kern, CA
13. 413 2/8 Coconino, AZ
14. 412 Utah, UT
15. 411 2/8 Coconino, AZ
16. 409 7/8 White Pine, NV
17. 409 6/8 Garfield, MT
18. 409 2/8 Coconino, AZ
19. 408 6/8 Gila, AZ
20. 407 2/8 Apache, AZ
21. 406 7/8 Elko, NV
22. 406 3/8 Beaver, UT
23. 405 5/8 Gila, AZ
24. 404 6/8 Juab, UT
25. 404 6/8 Cibola, NM
26. 404 5/8 Navajo, AZ
27. 404 2/8 Modoc, CA
28. 404 Elko, NV
29. 403 2/8 Piute, UT
30. 403 Park, MT
31. 401 4/8 Apache, AZ
32. 400 6/8 Mesa, CO
33. 400 2/8 Elk, PA
34. 399 3/8 Navajo, AZ
35. 399 2/8 Emery, UT
36. 398 2/8 Navajo, AZ
37. 398 White Pine, NV
38. 397 5/8 Sierra, NM
39. 396 4/8 Tooele, UT
40. 395 Unknown Unknown Cabela's, Inc.
41. 394 4/8 Greenlee, AZ
42. 394 4/8 Sandridge, MB
43. 394 2/8 Natrona, WY
44. 394 1/8 Lincoln, NV
45. 393 7/8 Garfield, UT
46. 393 4/8 Moose Mt. Prov. Park, SK
47. 393 4/8 Modoc, CA
48. 392 7/8 Morkill River, BC
49. 392 7/8 Bowron River, BC
50. 392 6/8 San Juan, UT

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-07 AT 07:39PM (MST)[p]WOW, my how the have tables turned! Looks like AZ holds the title on this class! No matter, still very difficult to draw! But a little easier! I like Texas the best-everything is bigger in Texas. Imagine what the list would look like if Arizona was not a drought enviroment!

That list probably isn't real accurate im betting theres many that have not been scored or counted.

maddglasser, imagine how many more Utah elk there would be on the list if our bulls didn't have to contend with deep snow all winter. As well as 'droughts'. Just a thought.

PRO

I saw Modoc Kali on there 3Xs. They only give out about 17 tags through the draw (archery&rifle) each year. Thats less than 120 tags and 3 made this list and I know of a 399 3/8 that wasn't on the list. Plus EVERYONE APPLIES, including some that have nnever hunted elk. Not a bad per capitia average, 1/40 to take a bull over 380. Damn i just gave up game.

Bet if you took the amount of tags each state gave and how many made these 2 lists, Nevada would be #1.

Thanks Zigga!

I've been swamped on the job and haven't had the time to do this list!

Just think if Utah did 25% more tags...... and still would issue 50% LESS tags than Az......

For tag allocation vs entries......Nv. is the higher entry %...

I've been adding to my spread sheet as Fair Chase comes this year and there are some real serious big Bulls in the quarterly mag from Utah!

That dang D-Moss/back and his guides anyways!!! ha

Robb

Not sure about WHO'S math?
Unless i'm counting wrong, i counted UT at 18, AZ at 16 on the list of top 50. And i did not say "Utah has half of the list there, i said that "18 out of 50 is ALMOST half".
Either way you look at it, Utah is still king at 18, Arizona 2nd with 16. The math was not the error, it was the reading.
But in a nutshell, there are some damn big bulls tipping over these days, no matter WHERE they are coming from!!

What a pissing match, Utah, AZ, NV....
NM is a sleeper in there as well.

I JUST WANT A TAG!!

RockyMtnOyster

Its all a bunch of Hogwash! Arizona has big ones cause of the "Private" land that is being protected and the elk get fed by the tribes.. Utah is killing it right now but soon as Mossback is done with hammering the big ones there wont be any left for anyone else. Get yours while you can!!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-07 AT 01:38PM (MST)[p]Utah is not a top elk state because of the once in a lifetime tag thing. Atleast in Arizona or New Mexico you have the possibility of getting a tag every 5 to 10 years. Arizona and New Mexico are tops as far as tag availability and big bulls in my opinion. Its kind of funny how Arizona has an elk population of around 35,000 animals and Utah has around 60,000 animals. Arizona gives out around 10,202 "BIG" bull tags and Utah gives out 2,169 "BIG" bull tags. I ask based on these numbers, which state is doing a better job? Arizona hands down!!!!!! They know how to manage their hunt dates and weapon types in order to maximize hunter opportunity as well as have a good number of big bulls in the herd.

Slamdunk,
You are right you said almost half.
I was saying in the real world 18 of 50
is 36% anyway you look at it.(not ALMOST half)
But you would need to be smarter than a 5 th grader
to know that.

30inchbucks
Imagine if Arizona went on the same program as Utah.
Only giving out 2,169 tags.We woulndnt be having this
debate.It would look like most of the records would
be from Arizona.Or as they say above almost half.

I would say 18 of 50 or 36 percent is almost a third. Does that make me look at the glass half empty? Or am I realistic?
I am impressed with Montana. Look at the number they have plus the opportunity they provide. I would say for the average joe it is the best elk state year in and year out. Now for the once in a while you draw a tag the big 3 offer a better chance at a trophy.
I also beleive Montanan's are less likely to enter a bull than a Utahn. For some reason here in Utah we want to prove ours is bigger than yours.

Mulepacker,
Well said.I know of a couple elk that people have killed
that would make the book But they dont need to or want brag
about it.They are happy just having the trophy in there homes.

30inchbucks-
Where are you getting your info, Utah's elk are not a once in a lifetime tag! Only moose, sheep, bison and goats are.
However, i DO like your tag numbers you stated...makes perfect sense. But unless i'm taking this post wrong, it's not about numbers of elk or tags, it's about "score of the top 50 bulls".

AZHuntndan,
Also imagine what if Arizona had 60,000 animals in combination with only giving out 2,169 tags. Oh my!!!! Utah is a joke. Their success rates are in the 90's and alot of the hunts are at 100% if you can call that hunting.

30INCHBUCKS,
Yes I could imagine that what a hunt that would be.
I must say Az at least gives you the chance to hunt
big bulls more than once in your lifetime.I have had
5 bull tags in Az so far.I must say they were are late
season tags but what a great time we have had.I AM STILL
WAITING FOR MY ONCE IN A LIFETIME TAG FROM UTAH.

AZHUNTNDAN-
Nice try at the dig, but it didn't hurt.
Either way you look at it, 18 is still higher than 16.
At least that's what they teach in kindergarten here in Utah.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-07 AT 02:45PM (MST)[p]Now lets reverse things for fun. What if Utah gave out 10,000+ big bull tags by moving most of the rifle tags out of the rut to lets say the 3rd week of October before the snow flies and make it only a 5 day hunt.(current late hunts are too late and success rates are too high) Move the deer rifle hunt to early October. (sure would help the deer). Then extend the archery elk another week into the rut and make it only a 10 to 14 day hunt. Muzzleloader elk sometime in the early to middle part of October and only a 5 day hunt. Guess what? Lower success rates. More tags. Can now have a quality hunt more than once in a lifetime. And the same BIG Bulls.

Not too mention that the biggest 6X6 ever taken was just killed in Utah......on public ground no less.
ANYONE with that tag could have taken that bull, not just some high paying special tag owner.

There's no need to fight and argue over who has what and who's the best, the fact is, we are all big bull lovers and we SHOULD all be sportsman about it.

I'll start by apologizing if i offended anyone, i can get pretty wound up at times.
SLAMDUNK

You better watch out saying something like that.
Youll have all those utah boys after you.They dont
want to hunt those big bulls more than once in a lifetime.
They just want to tell everyone how good there elk
are.And complain about never getting a tag.

30inchbucks-
Your probably right it would change things in Utah if we did what you are describing, but the facts are still the facts. Utah is what it is and regardless or any "armchair management ideas", Utah is still growing and harvesting more big bulls than anywhere else and it get's better and better every year, the numbers just keep climbing. By having the hunts during the rut is obviously not wiping out all the biggest and best bulls every year at all, it's letting the better mature bulls get even bigger. Our "top trophy status title" if you will, is bringing even more selective hunters, which in turn is letting those 360-370 bulls live a couple more seasons, which in turn, and in the case of some good genetics, will get even bigger. How many states can say they actually throw rocks at 360-370 bulls in "most" of their units??
Utah sure can.

For the most part, Montana's bigger bulls are coming from private land in the central part of the state. Private land is great if you can get permission. Most of us can't. The Gardner late hunts are dwindling so we'll see fewer and fewer public land bulls in the book. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Slamdunk,
Couldnt of said it better myself.
Lets dont bicker over this and Lets go ELK hunting.
No matter were its at its better then sitting behind
this computer and arguing over it.
Go Luck to eveyone in the draws for hunting
and congrats to those who already have tags........

Slamdunk,
You have stated
"Our "top trophy status title" if you will, is bringing even more selective hunters, which in turn is letting those 360-370 bulls live a couple more seasons, which in turn, and in the case of some good genetics, will get even bigger. How many states can say they actually throw rocks at 360-370 bulls in "most" of their units??"

I would disagree with this statement. Utah reports harvest at 80 plus percent on all LE units.I seriously doubt over 40 percent of the bulls would score over 350. When you wait for 15 years to draw a tag I doubt one is willing to throw rocks at a 360 bull. In fact I would challenge you to look past the propaganda of certain guides and a few units. You will find units like the Cache, LaSal, 3 Corners and many more harvest very few bulls in the 360 plus category.

Yes, Utah may market there 400" bulls better than the rest but it does not mean we shoot omly 360 plus bulls. This is a limiting factor not an enhancement in many Utah sportsmans eyes.

Mulepacker.. You couldnt of said it any better. Every year guys go up with the intention of whacking a 370 bull and at the end of the day they harvested a very fine 340 bull and they are happy as heck about that one.. And yes montana sucks for any hunt..

I think you guys are all on the right track.
Just remember they all look bigger alive then
when they are on the ground.So everyone thinks
the woods are full of 370 + bulls but in reality
that may not be true.I know alot of guys out
there can really judge them good.But not every
average joe can and that where we get most ot
the stories from.

Mulepacker-
Though i do aree with your stement of course, i did say "Most units" when i mentioned throwing rocks at the 370 bulls. Most definately not the entire state nor all it's elk units.
I work for one of the biggest and best outfitters in this state, and on SOME of our leases, and SOME of the open area tags we have, we let 370 bulls go because we know there are bigger and better. We call it "management" and we practice it whole heartedly. But on the flip side, we DO have SOME areas where we'd jump up and down for a 370 bull...or even a 350 for that matter.
This post was about the top 50 "Scoring" states. Utah still has the highest amount harvested and has had that trend for the past few years, next to Arizona. Maybe someday that will all change and it very well could because Utah wants to lower the age class harvested on our units.....but that's for another post.

For everyone that enjoys being guided to a Bull elk and being told to pull the trigger I say go to the midwest and shoot Whitetails!! All this guiding and claiming to be the greatest hunting squad on the planet is full on getting old as hell.. Just my opinion. Good Luck

Damn Zigga!!!

I never post this late in the day but are you a real 'stir the pot' kinda guy!! haha

You guys can yip and yap all ya want...........UTAH is hands down spanking some booty on other states!!!

Give Mossback, Extreme and BTO outfitters and SFW-Utah all the downside ya want.... if it 'aint' them.. ya 'aint' getting squat!

I am all about the love brothaa!!

Wait till 2008 and the 'Book' resutls...... B&C/P&Y....from 2007.....

Robb

pleasedear-
Thanks for that post, it felt good to smile again!!

And for the others...
I guide because i can't draw, or afford one of these golden Utah elk tags, so at least i get to still kill them, i just don't get to take them home with me!!
(antlers anyway, i get all the leather...i mean meat i can handle!!)

I think we should clarify a few things for all the AZ fans.

1. Utah sells around 30,000 OTC Elk tags every year. This means you can walk up to the counter at the sporting goods store, buy your tag, and go hunting. There is some great Elk hunting on the public lands for guys that aren't afraid to work, and aren't dead set on a monster bull or nothing.

2. LE Elk tags are not once in a lifetime, they have a 5 year waiting period. It is possible of course to only draw once, or never in your lifetime, or you can get lucky and draw several times.

3. AZ used to be king, but within 3-5 years the WR will belong to Utah, deal with it.

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

Some of your guys' true personalities are shining and they are ugly. Reminds me of two high school rival teams fighting to determine who is bigger and better. Let Utah hunters be proud of their elk, they have plenty of reason; it is wonderful to hunt big bulls in quaking aspen country. Arizona's juniper country is hard to beat and has long been known as holding some of the biggest bulls in the world, but today there is definitely more competition from other states. Any body that can't look at these top 50 bulls and marvel at each location where these record bulls were harvested without gettin all bunched up in a wad, maybe you need to go find another sport where name-calling and whining is allowed....really it's ok.

It's amazing what some guys will argue over. Would you rather have a beautiful wife who never wants to have sex? Or an average looking wife that wants to have it every night? We all know that if you take an area, put some elk in it, let them grow big and keep the hunters out until they do, you will have guys killing big elk. That's why the states which limit the hunting have the biggest elk. I appreciate the top 50 lists, but I think that in my opinion the best elk state would be one in which I could get a tag at least every few years and have a chance (even a remote chance) at taking a bull approaching B&C status. Give me that somewhere where I don't have to hear two guys in the next basin over argueing about which spot is better and I will be quite content.

I know of two bulls taken in Navajo and Apache Counties in Az. that are not on that list, but I agree Utah is the King so everyone please apply for Utah, and just forget Az. Utah has more and bigger bulls. Let's all just apply in Utah next year.
BS Hunting Club Co-founder

Whatever you do carry a gun in Nevada. The locals will harrass you till you get outta there country! They are the biggest whine asses I have ever seen. I spent my hunt last year fighting with the high school acting pricks.. They were all guides that laid claim to the hills.. To be honest I have never seen a guide that doesnt think its his land.. I say if oyu dont have a tag then get the hell out!

"What if Utah gave out 10,000+ big bull tags by moving most of the rifle tags out of the rut to lets say the 3rd week of October before the snow flies and make it only a 5 day hunt."
You just explained why Utah has been harvesting more big bulls. Rifle hunting in the rut? A five year old could kill a monster bull with a rifle during the rut. New Mexico does not have rifle hunts during the rut. Archery only buddy. And the rifle hunts are 5 days or less. Come on now, lets hear more jokes about Utah being the BEST BIG BULL STATE. You make me laugh. If New Mexico or Arizona had rifle rut hunts as long as you do, they'd smash those record books. GUARANTEED.

mossback50cal-

WELL SAID!

Hunting the rut with a rifle... thats hard! For those of you who think its fair, why don't you just go to the playground and push down some fat kid!

Who really gives a ##### who's sandbox is better! Your probably all puttin in for Az., Nm., and Ut. anyway. Or wishin you could.

Mossback50cal,
I agree too. If Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada had rifle hunts for 11 days during rut time they would rewrite the record books. Instead they choose to give more opportunity to draw a great "hunt" more than once in your life by having season dates where there is around a 35% average success rate. This 90% to 100% success rate is a joke. Utah needs to change things and I think change is in the air. All these "shoot" tags in Utah are getting old. It's time to make it a "hunt" again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom