Toyota Tacoma

H

HORNSNFISH

What are the newer tacomas 4x4 getting for fuel mileage? Anyone running one with slight over size tires?

Thx

I have a 2012 Tacoma, the best I can get with the truck is 20, but not very often. I average around 16, but in town its about 14. When I pull my trailer its around 7 mpg.

I have a 2009 tacoma 4 x4. I get 20 mpg driving 75 on interstates. About 17 locally. I use to pull a 6 x 10 enclosed trailer and got 14 mpg. Great truck. Ide buy another again

I get a new one every year as a work truck. I average 19. Lowest I've gotten is 16.5. They will get 21 or 22 if you keep them 65 mph or lower. The don't like 80 mph. I've pulled a trailer some and got 16.5. Great trucks. Wish the beds were a little bigger. My company sells our trucks after 35,000 miles if anyone is interested.

HAZMAT

www.muddyroad.net

As for the second gen, I have had 2...my first was an 06 extended cab TRD and it got 19/16 with 265-70-16's. I now have an 07 double cab long bed and it gets the same. My buddy has an 09 and he went up 1 size tire but has'nt re calibrated his speedo yet.
Great little pickups for running around and hunting....aint worth a crap for towing or hauling....thats why I keep an older 3/4tn beater around. I dont think I will ever have a 3/4 ton for a daily driver ever again.

Mileage is not much worse with my 00 or 06 Tundra.

When I bought the 06 I almost got the Tacoma, but, the difference in mileage was not significant enough for me.

2006 double cab trd offroad, running a 2.5" lift and 265/75/r17 all terrains. I get 16.5 to 17.5 pulling parley's every day calculated by hand and you can add about 1 mpg more to account for the oversize tires. Bottom line is adjusted for tire size I average 18 mpg. It's got a shell on it as well, which in theory helps with mileage. Great truck!

I've got a '13 double cab and i'm mainly doing highway miles, I keep it right at 75 and have been getting about 21mpg hand calculated. I'd be interested to see what it would do with one size bigger AT style tire

A larger diameter tire tracks farther in one rotation than a smaller diameter tire. Since the odometer calculates mileage traveled based upon the number of rotations of the tire, true distance traveled will be higher than what your odometer reads when you are running a larger tire. You will also be traveling faster than what your speedometer reads. The difference in my truck is about 5%, so I need to add 5% to the total miles traveled, as calculated by my odometer, when calculating fuel economy. I.E., (300 miles +(300 miles x .05)) /18 = 17.5

whenever you fill up, zero your trip meter. then when you fill up again divide the miles traveled by the gallons you put. bet it doesn't match your trucks reading. bigger tires hurt your fuel mileage, not improve it.

say for example, with bigger tires, your trip odometer reads 180 miles. You put in 10 gallons. You would divide 180 by 10 to get 18mpg.

In reality, with bigger tires you traveled 5% farther than the odometer reading. So 180 plus 5% equals 189 miles. Your actual mileage would be 18.9mpg.

Is that correct? I'm just trying to figure this out.

Eel

yes your correct. the reality though is you'll use more fuel so you'll be adding more then 10 gallons. ideally when you put bigger tires you would adjust so your speedometer is correct. of course it depends on a few things like tire size, engine type, lift kit, etc. typically the more load you add to your engine, the worse your mileage will be.....more torque required to turn a bigger tire. instead of using 10 gallons, might be 11 or 12. now figure your mileage...189/11=17, 189/12=15.75...worse not better. vehicles like diesels which produce high torque might not be affected as much. just depends on how big of tire you go.

Just got back from a road trip this weekend. Averaged 18.6 mpg going between 75-80.

Couple of points to clarifly....when I calculate mileage I do it by hand as my truck doesn't have an electronic mileage calculator.

Yes, bigger tires and a lift will hurt your fuel economy.

Bigger tires will also effect your speedometer and odometer: you will be traveling faster than what your speedometer is reading and you will travel farther than what your odometer reads because of bigger tires. See my previous post.

To get true fuel economy for my truck I hand calculate the mileage by dividing the miles traveled by the gallons used but I do take into account the effect the larger tires have on the miles traveled.

This is the calculation for the last fuel stop: 311 miles traveled per the odometer, multiply the 311 miles by .05 to take into account the larger tire size and the fact that my odometer doesn't read correctly as a result, add that number which is 15.5 to the get the total miles traveled. So 311 plus 15.5 is 326.5 which is the actual distance traveled, then divide by the number of gallons used which was 17.5.

Bottom line is that on my last tank of fuel my truck averaged 18.6 on the highway and I was driving between 75 and 80 mph.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom