Toyota tundra owners?

nonet

Ok so after owning ford chevy and dodge trucks, I am considering buying a Toyota tundra with the 5.7 and 4 doors but not the extracrew cab. Can you guys give me any advice on them? Are they tough? I am hard on a truck. What kind of REAL miliage are you getting with what size tires? Any mods? ect

Not looking to get into a pissing match about which truck I should get but I would like to hear what everyone has to say about Tundras.

Thanks
Eric

2011 5.7 double cab, 17mph half highway have secondary roads. I like to be the 1st one off the line and I don't like anybody within a 1/8 of a mile of me lol.

Nice truck, interior is only ok, body panels seem thin, and paint is reportedly soft.

I really like mine a lot though. It reportedly gets a lot of looks when my 4'10" cutie hops out when she takes it out for groceries and to wash it for me.

Mine is a 2005. It has plenty of power and I get 19 to 20 MPG with the stock sized tires. I put on a shell and I keep a pile of gear in there. With 235-85-16's I get 16 to 17 MPG. I can get tire chains on all four tires. I don't know anything about the newer ones. Ron

2010 Ext cab, 55,000 miles already, 285/70/18s. Love the truck. 16-17 mpg consistently but if you keep it below 70 you can get 20. Power is awesome. I never have things break like on the American crap I have driven (tundras are built in America in case somebody wants to question my patriotism...many of the so called "American" trucks are made in Mexico and Canada)
Anyway, I Just change the oil and put tires on it. I have a t100 that has 185,000 miles on it with no repairs till 175,000 miles...and i am hard on my trucks. One complaint I have is the ground clearance is not nearly as good as the t100. You need to put a lift and bigger tires on it if you want to do serious digging. They put a low rider frame on them like Chevys. I like the regular cab over the crewmax because you get more bed space and still plenty of room for a big crew/gear. Crewmax is a lot nicer to ride in the back on long trips because the seats recline. When Toyota finally puts out a truly full sized truck with a diesel, the final nail will be in the coffin of the big 3.

HAZMAT

Came across this about a year ago and made me think about getting one. Except that it may be capable of hauling all of that weight and doing great but I like to be able to pass people on the uphills while pulling a trailer, so I keep my diesel.

I've pulled a fully loaded 16 foot enclosed trailer over I70 at 75 mph and never lost any speed and had plenty of throttle left. Daniels summit the same way.

HAZMAT

I've got a 2011 and I love it. Owned GMC's before, won't ever go back. Plenty of power, 15 mpg in the city. It's all stock right now. I will get some rims and tires when I wear out the rubber on it. Love the back up camera, thought it was the dumbest thing to put on a truck till I used it. If you really look into the tundra you will be impressed. You won't regret getting one.

Great info guys I really appreciate it. I was thinking of putting a 2" level kit and bags in the back for more clearance and for towing. I have heard that putting a cold air intake will boost milage by about 3 per gallon. Any truth?

Any more advice, even bad, is welcome..

Thanks
Eric

Great looking trucks i think. Never owned one but i did have a toyota years ago and it seemed to run forever.

But again I am one of them guys who likes to hook onto any load and pull it any where at any speed I want which is why I will always own a diesel.

I hear ya on the power issue. I currently have a dodge 4 door diesel. Power is awesome but it costs way too much to keep it on the road. Between death wobble, various oil leaks, transmision issues and all kinds of little things in the cab that seem to fall apart, I just cant afford it anymore and I"m pretty sure it is gonna leave me stranded and I just cant have that especially if I have my kids or a client with me.

I own a 2011 with 15000 miles already. Dontmhave any complaints it pulls better than the 2010 f250 diesel i got rid of and gets better mpg doing so! All i have done so far was the 2 inch level kit, tires and rims, firestone air bags and a airraid cold air intake and am getting 17 to 19 mpg cruising at around 80 and 14 or 15 in town. Im not easy on trucks either, a lot of time in the hills and on dirt roads and so far nothing has broke. My only complaint is the traction control where they try to usu the brakes as a locker, but just push the button and it turns that off. One other nice deal they have besides the backup camera is being able to adjust the headlights in the cab at anytime, so if you put a wheeler or something in the bed and itbpoints the front of your truck up a little just roll the button down to re aim the headlights, that way oncoming traffic doesnt keep flashing their brights at you

Though I have never seen it with my own eyes, I've heard they will also crap Tiffany cuff links.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I have a 2008 Tundra 4 door (not crew cab). I've got a lift and 35 X 12.5 inch tires. It only has 25K miles but most of those have been for camping/hunting/fishing and pulling a trailer. It's a no-contest against my dad's F-150. The power is great. I've been in some nasty stuff with my trailer and never had an issue. I get about 14-17 miles/gallon with those big tires while towing, closer to 20 freeway without towing.

The tow button is a pretty cool feature as well. The cab is huge, plenty of room in the back seat. I'm happy.

I have a 2010 Double Cab Tundra 5.7 liter. I LOVE this truck. I get 18.5 - 20 MPG empty, 17-18.5 with my bed loaded with four wheeler, wood, ect...now remember that is highway. I get 16-17 mpg just driving around. I have towed 6,000 and 8,000 lbs loads and the power is there. it wants to go. I love the brakes because they are as big as 3/4 ton trucks (brakes and rotors) if you get the off road package which is what I have you get the 4:30 gear ratio. without the off road package you still get 4:10's which is awesome as well.
this is my first Toyota and dont have any buyers remorse. I LOVE it.
my truck also has the leveling kit. which is 3 in. in front and 1 3/4 in. in back I believe. I still have stock tires. im sure if I was to go up one size more i'll lose a little bit of gas mileage.

Get one, and don't ever look back. I've had chev and Gmc for years. They were good trucks but I like my Tundra more.
4675300935_10150292679822680_694252679_8472589_1318062763_n.jpg

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

I have a 2007 double cab and love it. I had a Tacoma before that but needed a bigger truck for pulling wheelers and want to get a camp trailer. I have not had any problems so far. I have a lift and 35"12.50 tires and besides a slight dip in fuel millage,(that is to be expected) no complaints. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom