Trail cam

Mall816

What is the best budget trail cam to use? I have two cams one is a cheap taco that has a problem with sensitivity. After a week of being set up I had 4800 photos. Most of nothing. I thought that it was maybe the way I set it up so I took it home and set it up in the front room over night and had 300 photos. The other is a moultrie that is old and the size of a large dictionary also weighing a lot. It takes good photos just a pain to carry and sticks out like a sore thumb. Any info of what people use would be great. I've been looking at the stealth cams and bushnell any thoughts?

I think one of the best bang for your bucks come in some of the middle priced Stealth Cams. I have found a 2 pack of PX14's for $100 total. They work awesome (in my opinion). I have run lithium batteries and had them last for Months (or even years).

Make sure your cams are pointed North or South (to avoid the sun and glare) and are as free from moving trees/leaves/branches as possible. When the wind pics up it will trigger it. Also set the burst of photos to 2 or 3 to limit that problem and the delay to a longer period.

After using several different brands with mixed results I bought Stealth Cam G30 cameras and have been really well pleased. I buy them on Amazon for about $85 each. A couple of tricks that work for me: I set my G30s on the custom setting and adjust the delay to 15 seconds, single photo mode and I try to get the camera as low as I can so as to avoid the sky and the clouds...yes the camera will pick-up cloud movement. I cut any grass, weeds, or brush that is within 25-30' of the view of the camera as the breeze will trigger the camera. If I have the camera very high I aim it at a downward angel a little. I have had three cameras stolen ( 2- Primos and 1-G30) so I take as much caution as I can to make them hard to see. If I am only going to be gone for a couple-three days I use the video mode-10 seconds with a 30 second delay.

Did you have the two trail cams locked up somehow? I have security boxes for the ones i have now and would like to do the same for the new ones. I understand its public land but would like to try and not lose them.

No I didn't have lock boxes on them. I hunt private ground for turkeys and big game in Kansas and Nebraska but in Colorado I hunt public for turkeys and private for elk. They were stolen in an area I hunted for years that is public but has been getting a lot of pressure so I have changed areas. I felt like jerk for leaving them in an area I thought was safe!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom