Transfer a 5B Late to a Youth Hunter??

WesternSky

This year I applied my 10-year-old son in Arizona this year to start gaining points for him. He has never hunted big game before. I had no desire for him to draw so I chose rifle tags with terrible odds. While waiting for results, he daydreamed about drawing/hunting more than I expected. When my card was hit, he was sure it was him and it only elevated his excitement even though I told him it was probably my 2nd choice given the odds. Fast forward to the results being posted and I confirmed I drew a late 5b elk tag. He was disappointed. I was too. I can't remember a time in my life where I was disappointed to have drawn a tag. I sure was this time since I hoped he drew. I've been considering transferring my tag to him. Before I do, have questions I hope you all can help me with.

I know what I'm doing and have killed a lot of mature bulls in various states. I haven't hunted 5B before but I did have a late rifle tag in a neighboring unit so I know what to expect on the late rifle hunts. he is physically and mentally strong but he is still a 10 y/o kid. He has baseball tournament in PHX in a couple weeks, so I plan on detouring on the way back to drive a couple roads in the unit.

On transfers;
-Is there a deadline to transfer the tag to him? or just done before the season?
-How long does the transfer take?
-Does he lose the point he earned this year? I would assume no since my points won't be restored.
-anything I'm overlooking on the transfer process?

On the Unit itself;
-The elevation seems mild comparing it to other places I've hunted. Even the drop-off of Anderson mesa to the north. Am I underestimating elevation gain/losses?
-I'd like to limit him to 350 yards shooting. Are we going to be at a severe disadvantage not being able to shoot farther?
-There is a lot of tags but is like my other hunt where there was a lot of road hunting and hiking can get you away from most hunters?
-Do a lot of people clear out after opening weekend?
- Weather is always a wildcard, but does this hunt consistently get cold (sub 20 deg)
-Are there any red flags where you would tell me not to take him on this hunt?

Thanks for any input on my questions, sorry about the novel.

I don't even know if Arizona allows a permit transfer, but if they do who cares if he loses 1 point.

If they don't allow a transfer, do what dads have done since licenses were a thing. 😉

If you go to a Game and Fish office I believe the transfer is pretty quick and seamless. Call them ahead of time to verify what you need but my dad handed down a few tags years ago to some of us and it was always a super easy process.

He will not lose his points because he didn't draw the tag.

As far as the other questions go here are my thoughts. He was super hopeful to draw a tag. If you sign it down to him, he is going to be absolutely stoked! It will give you guys a reason to scout, hike, shoot and prepare all summer and fall getting ready. You'll see his excitement build with each passing month and he'll be dying to get out there when the day finally comes. Hunt it like it is your tag and show him some fun throughout the process. Make sure to manage his expectations and allow him to shoot what HE is happy with, not what YOU want him to shoot. Kids are tough and it sounds like yours can handle it just fine.

Get him behind the gun enough that he has confidence. Closing distance on animals typically isn't that hard and I feel like 350 yards is doable in most hunting situations I've ever been in. Might take some creativity but usually can be done.

Don't overthink it! If possible spend a little time in the unit so you and him both know what to expect but other than that it sounds like you already know the answers to most of your questions. It seems like signing it down to him is what you are wanting to do. I don't think you'll regret it and I guarantee he will love it. When it's all said and done you'll have a memory that lasts a lifetime.

I guess you can

Screenshot 2024-02-29 100807.png

If you go to a Game and Fish office I believe the transfer is pretty quick and seamless. Call them ahead of time to verify what you need but my dad handed down a few tags years ago to some of us and it was always a super easy process.
Thanks for the input Money.

Should have mentioned I'm a NR from Colorado so it makes the preseason activities a bit harder.

Your right, deep down I want to give it to him but I also worry about a tough hunt that discourages his enthusiasm for future hunting.

Last edited:
I transferred an early Kaibab deer tag to my 10 year old son about 10 years ago. We did it through the mail and had the tag within a few weeks. Pretty easy process. Once transferred it is his tag and you cannot carry a weapon. In some other states you can mentor a youth and either one of you can shoot the animal, but not in Arizona. I personally have mentored my children on 3-4 hunts now, and I get more of a kick out of watching them shoot a small 5 point bull then me killing a 330" type bull. The excitement for them is real and fun to watch.

Thanks for the input Money.

Should have mentioned I'm a NR from Colorado so it makes the preseason activities a bit harder.

Your right, deep down I want to give it to him but I also worry about a tough hunt that discourages his enthusiasm for hunting future.
yeah, being a nonresident makes it a bit tougher. I get what you mean about tough hunts and discouragement, but if you prepare and make it a good experience filled with fun camping and skills learning he will gain so much from the trip and remember it for years to come. I know you would want him to be successful, but spending time like that with your son is always a success. Especially in todays world. Not my tag obviously, but I don't think you have much to lose in this situation. He's gonna love it and remember it for a long time I would bet.

You have until the day before the hunt starts at midnight to transfer the tag, you and your son have to go into a game and fish office to do so or through the mail. My uncle owns about 40 acres in 5b and there are bulls there throughout the year. It a relatively hard unit to glass a bunch but there are plenty of elk.

You have until the day before the hunt starts at midnight to transfer the tag, you and your son have to go into a game and fish office to do so or through the mail. My uncle owns about 40 acres in 5b and there are bulls there throughout the year. It a relatively hard unit to glass a bunch but there are plenty of elk.
. A parent, grandparent, or guardian issued a tag may transfer the unused tag to a minor child or grandchild at any time prior to the end of the season for which the unused tag was issued

My son in law had a late rifle tag in 5A last year and transferred it to his 13 year old son. He called F&G and they told him what was required and he did it by mail. For some reason they asked for a copy of his sons Hunter Safety certificate even though he was already in their system. They hunted every day but no bull but it was a great bonding experience.
My suggestion start early and call F&G for info.

My son in law had a late rifle tag in 5A last year and transferred it to his 13 year old son. He called F&G and they told him what was required and he did it by mail. For some reason they asked for a copy of his sons Hunter Safety certificate even though he was already in their system. They hunted every day but no bull but it was a great bonding experience.
My suggestion start early and call F&G for info.
I plan to reach out to them soon. I did the Etag option so that might expedite things.

Just my 2 cents:

I doubt you will have to take a shot over 200yds. I wouldn't stress the kid out trying to practice on 300+ range targets. That more for us stupid adults trying to show off.

A 10yo should be fine with just about any/all hiking in that unit (assuming he isn't a couch potato city boy).

Whether you use the tag or he does won't matter much as long as he gets to go. <Took my boys to Wy for several years from age 9-14; the trips were more memorable than just about all our local hunts from age 5 onward. My boys would do 10-20mi days sometimes at that age getting around the private to the walk in areas.>

In AZ, the first snow storm usually hits the week before Thanksgiving and melts off the next day or two. Then pretty dry until next storm mid/late Dec. 5B late isn't typically that cold. That said, I had my 10yo out in 10degree weather up in Unit1 (where it can be cold) for that late hunt when I was helping my uncle and cousins out. Little tough getting up in the morning if you are in a tent but no issues in trailer (we did both). May have to road hunt first hour or two before braving the cold. Sure you can find plenty of old timers reminiscing about the bad snow year(s) but that's rare and nothing like Colorado.

With my special needs kid and the other boys when they were that young, rule of thumb is shoot at the first legal animal (yup even a spike). Sometimes you just do this to try and get the first miss out of the way. A few misses goes a long way to getting it right the rest of your life and it really took all the pressure off. The hard part was actually getting setup and aiming down scope in a timely enough manner to get the shot off. Kids can be awfully slow and the animals typically aren't waiting around. They generally get lots of practice at "not getting the shot off" because they aren't passing up any legal animal so by the time they do get the hang of it, its not a spike :)
PS: the boys never missed at that age (one shot kills), daughter on the other hand had some buck fever, shot anticipation problems for the first few attempts, was cool calm and collected by the third try (but still very slow even now in her 20's)

Thanks Mano. Good info.

Lately, He’s been on prairie dogs at our house with my scoped, bolt action 22 so that’s good practice for getting on an elk.

We’re going to stack the odds against us and he’s going to hold out the first few days for a mature bull. That’s his plan anyway. We’ll see how that hold when a younger bull gives a shot op.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom