Late Rifle Elk Tag

Duckhunter14

The odds were finally in my favor and I accumulated enough points to draw a late rifle tag in Arizona. My first Arizona tag! I’m pretty excited for the opportunity and have been doing as much research as possible for the last few years trying to determine which tag I was going to go after with my points. I landed on unit 8 and drew with 9 points this year.

The tag gave me an opportunity to head to AZ this spring with the family to visit the Grand Canyon and spend a couple days exploring the road systems and identifying glassing spots and jump off points that look good on the map. I plan to spend the entire season in the unit and a lot of time behind the glass to find a bull.

Weather seems to be the biggest obstacle and I’m trying to decide if a hotel/VRBO or tent camping is the best approach. As well as whether to bring my Jeep or a side by side. I guess I’ll have a better idea once I do some exploring and check out the country in a couple months.

To those of you that have hunted northern Arizona on the late hunts, was the strategy to get to a glassing spot before daylight and attempt to turn bulls up then make a play? Spot and stalk is my favorite type of hunting and that is typically how I hunt, I’m looking forward to exploring some new country.

I’d love some feedback on the unit if you have first hand knowledge. How accessible the roads are in rain/snow. What type of terrain you typically focus on for elk in late Nov/Dec? What caliber of bull would you hold out for? How far do you anticipate shooting?

My biggest bull elk to date is an archery bull In MT that went like 260”. So my goal will be to do better than that and hopefully break 300”. But I’m most excited to hunt a new unit in a new state with a good buddy of mine. Feel free to PM me if you’d prefer to keep the info between us.

Appreciate any feedback and support!

Clint

Good luck on the hunt. Last year was a difficult one, and people were everywhere and harvest was down considerably on better bulls. Get away from people if possible, glass a lot, and be prepared to hunt down in canyons and pack up!!

Good luck on the hunt. Last year was a difficult one, and people were everywhere and harvest was down considerably on better bulls. Get away from people if possible, glass a lot, and be prepared to hunt down in canyons and pack up!!
Appreciate the honest feedback. I definitely didn’t think it would be easy. I know I’ll have to earn this one.

Would you say the snow pushes them into those rougher canyons or just that time of year, that’s where they go.

Appreciate the honest feedback. I definitely didn’t think it would be easy. I know I’ll have to earn this one.

Would you say the snow pushes them into those rougher canyons or just that time of year, that’s where they go.
Those bulls just go to those deep steep canyons in AZ that time of year. I haven’t personally hunted 8 but I’ve been in 6a, 6b and 4b during those late hunts and they all seemed to be near the steep canyons. You should still be able to find a nice 6 pt and 300” is not at all out of line. I would say if you glass 10 bulls, 5-6 be that big and 1-2 of them will be plenty bigger then that. Be ready to shoot across a canyon. That’s a hunt where you’re gonna shoot one either st long range across a canyon, or at 60 yards in the thick stuff in a flat cuz that’s where they’ll be. There’s a LOT of roads in AZ, not that they can’t be by roads but they will naturally find themselves in that 1 mile or further seam I feel like. I think the constant drone of ATVs down there just pushes em a bit off the roads so they can get some quiet.

My cousin had the late hunt in 2019 it snowed lots the night before the opener. Chains were a must the first couple of days. We saw bulls every day we scouted and hunted. Talked to several hunters that hadn’t even see a elk they must have been road hunting. My cousin had a couple cases of bull fever and missed the first two bulls he shot at. He tag out on day five he had a choice there was a 5 point and and busted up 7. He took the broken 7. My friend and I have the early archery tag this year september can’t come soon enough. Good luck on your tag if you can go early and scout a few days before the opener this will give you a edge it doesn’t take long for the elk to know it’s hunting season and go in a dark hole. I’ll send you a PM after my early archery hunt and give you more recent Intel.

883EDC72-5DAA-4F22-A658-3E4740B311EC.jpeg

EFADFE5B-B114-4EC5-86E1-A86BBD8F9CFC.jpeg

Thanks Yotebuster that’s exactly the information I was hoping to get. I’ll plan to have spots to hike in away from the roads to try to find those post rut bulls licking their wounds and focus on those secluded areas they can rest and eat in peace.

And thank you huntandfish! That’s a dandy bull, I’d be happy with him for sure! I’ve heard it’s pretty common to find busted bulls in that country. Did you notice a lot of busted tines and beams? I’ll definitely plan to have chains and tow ropes, for the snow and mud. That’s awesome you guys have the archery tag! I would have opted for the early archery tag if I had the points, nothing beats bugling bulls in September! I’d love to hear how you guys did and hope you arrow a couple giants! Let’s stay in touch.

Appreciate the feedback. This thread is really amping me up for late November! I’m really glad Arizona releases the antelope and elk results so early and allow people to plan ahead. I’m itching to get in there and start checking the unit out and start dropping pins. I’m doing lots of escouting now and I also ordered a unit map from rugged maps.

Clint

The Rafael Fire devastated about 80K acres of late elk country in 21, and there was no regrowth that year. 2022 and last year were better, and elk started re-using a lot of the thick canyons that didn't burn. This year should be good. Use your scouting time wisely, where they might be by then

The Rafael Fire devastated about 80K acres of late elk country in 21, and there was no regrowth that year. 2022 and last year were better, and elk started re-using a lot of the thick canyons that didn't burn. This year should be good. Use your scouting time wisely, where they might be by then
Thanks Blank. I know a fire can be like a moth to a flame for critters after it gets some new growth. I’ll definitely check that out. Hoping for some good monsoons and solid growth this year. 🤞🏻Thank you.

8 can be very competitive. I have been in there 4 of the last 5 years. In Dec my gf shot hers on day 3. You can PM me and i can give you a little more info. I see you're in ID maybe we could swap some info

I had the late rifle tag back in 2020 in that unit and it was dry with no snow. Because there was no snow the roads really weren’t that bad. For sure worth it to scout at least a few day prior to the opener. It will feel very busy those first few days of the season as there’s a lot of tags, we saw guys on most glassing points but it lightened up as the hunt went on. In my opinion it’s worth it to try and find a shooter before the season starts and get him killed right away. You should have a first 1 to 2 days plan and then a secondary game plan for the rest of the hunt, once the shooting starts those elk feel the pressure and start moving around to get away from people. We saw a lot of smaller bulls and almost everything of decent size was busted up to some extent, a 300” bull is doable though. I got this one on day 6 and he was at 297” broken

IMG_1763.jpeg

Good luck! Like others have said, hunt the edges of Sycamore Canyon Wilderness, Bill Williams Mountain drainages, and along the Camp Navajo military base boundary. Bulls will be solo or in small groups. Expect close in contact up to 700 yard shots. I recommend staying in a hotel in Williams.

8 can be very competitive. I have been in there 4 of the last 5 years. In Dec my gf shot hers on day 3. You can PM me and i can give you a little more info. I see you're in ID maybe we could swap some info
Thanks flashgun, I’ll shoot you a PM. Sounds like you have a lot of experience in the unit. Appreciate your input and definitely open to swapping info.

I had the late rifle tag back in 2020 in that unit and it was dry with no snow. Because there was no snow the roads really weren’t that bad. For sure worth it to scout at least a few day prior to the opener. It will feel very busy those first few days of the season as there’s a lot of tags, we saw guys on most glassing points but it lightened up as the hunt went on. In my opinion it’s worth it to try and find a shooter before the season starts and get him killed right away. You should have a first 1 to 2 days plan and then a secondary game plan for the rest of the hunt, once the shooting starts those elk feel the pressure and start moving around to get away from people. We saw a lot of smaller bulls and almost everything of decent size was busted up to some extent, a 300” bull is doable though. I got this one on day 6 and he was at 297” broken

View attachment 139531
All great info Dylbowhunt, and that’s a good looking bull! I’d definitely be happy with him. Appreciate the information, I’m planning to get to the area early to do some additional scouting. I’ve been dropping pins on glassing points. I can’t wait to get in the unit to see what I can find.

Good luck! Like others have said, hunt the edges of Sycamore Canyon Wilderness, Bill Williams Mountain drainages, and along the Camp Navajo military base boundary. Bulls will be solo or in small groups. Expect close in contact up to 700 yard shots. I recommend staying in a hotel in Williams.
I plan to shoot my rifle a lot between then and now and hope to be comfortable out to 6-700 yards to be able to reach across those canyons and touch something if need be. Is accessing the southern portion of the unit a haul from Williams? I guess my only hold back to staying in town is the drive in and out every morning and evening. But if they roads aren’t bad, a hotel or house rental would be much more comfortable. Appreciate the info!

I plan to shoot my rifle a lot between then and now and hope to be comfortable out to 6-700 yards to be able to reach across those canyons and touch something if need be. Is accessing the southern portion of the unit a haul from Williams? I guess my only hold back to staying in town is the drive in and out every morning and evening. But if they roads aren’t bad, a hotel or house rental would be much more comfortable. Appreciate the info!
Getting to the southern boundary is a 30+ mile forest service road trip from Williams. However getting to the North rim of Sycamore is only 10+ miles, driving through elk country all the way.

My view is lodging in town is great for early and late hunts in 8. Alternately, 8 has a lot of great remote camping areas. As others have reported, you will have plenty of company.

The southern end, and the area around Drake can be very good as well, and holds some large bulls. Find a knob to sit and glass the draws below. They will move along the ridges in and out of some thick areas.

The southern end, and the area around Drake can be very good as well, and holds some large bulls. Find a knob to sit and glass the draws below. They will move along the ridges in and out of some thick areas.
Great info! Thank you. Got my 15’s and 95 Swaro plan on putting them to work for me!

We hunted this unit for two of my kids during late rifle in 2020 and 2022. And my nephew hunted it in 2021. The 2021 burn in the wilderness area really buggered where we hunted in 2020, so had to change tactics in 2022. As folks have said, it can be highly competitive.

Yes indeed ! Williams is a good pick- weather can turn nasty at times- motel 🏨 has advantages like much warmer if needed.
Congratulations on the draw & best of luck- should be lots of fun 🤩!
Jerry Gold In Windsor, Colorado 😁🍀

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom