Travel Trailer Towing to Sheldon

outdoorfan

I have hunted the Sheldon a lot over the years but have never towed a travel trailer out there. What's the thoughts on towing a tow hauler from Cedarville on the 8A road onto the Sheldon from the west side? The trailer is a 26' toy hauler with flipped axles so clearance won't be an issue. My other option is to park at Dufferena and drive the hour every morning to the area we would hunt. With the Denio Junction gas station out of commission, diesel is a concern. Hit me with your thoughts. The hunt is the Archery Deer opening Aug. 10.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-13 AT 05:20AM (MST)[p]If you have hunted the Sheldon then you know about the campgrounds im guessing. If it were me i would camp at the one i believe its called Fish Spring or Fish table, something like that. It is just north of the road that cuts over to Badger camp and towards the indian res. Also Badger camp isn't bad, you should be able to get a trailer there also.
The road is good enough i believe, at least the last time i was up there. If you go much past that campground towards Denio or Dufferena then you know you will start running into alot of Obsidian rock on the road, hard as hell on tires.
Denio being out of fuel really sucks for traveling thru that area, guy has to carry alot of fuel now, or travel every few days.
Make sure you bring extra spares, its a loooooong way to nowhere up there.

I was in the Sheldon two weeks ago and camped at the Duferrena campground for three days and put a lot miles on the dusty roads there.

The Fish Spring campground suggestion is a good one. It is right next to the road (8A) and located in the Southwest portion of the Sheldon, close to the turn-off to head east towards the Badger campground, Mahogany MT, etc. also North to the other locations.

If Badger is your favored campground I would park my rig at the Fish Spring campground and take a quick drive to Badger to check the roads and campground status.

Mileage from the 8A/Badger turnoff to the Badger campground is about 8 miles one-way and the road was in good condition when I traveled on it. When I went through the Badger campground there was a long horse/living qtrs. 5th wheel type trailer attached to a big Dodge at the campground. I don't think you would have any problem going to Badger with a Travel Trailer, parking might be a little tight if there are a couple other rigs there.

I would NOT try to take a trailer to Devaney as the roads aren't all that good and you'll have a heck of a time on a couple of the steep hills driving anything more than a truck or smaller vehicle.

Good Luck and Be Safe!!

depending on where you want to hunt...... Catnip res. has a good
campground also, if youre going through Denio. there is also a campground on the north side of catnip mountain. off the road to the res. a little bit. trailers parked there all the time. West Rock spring camp i think its called. Ease of getting to any of these campgrounds mentioned would be better than driving all the way from dufferena. Main roads to all.

I pulled my 38' Raptor toy hauler into the Sheldon's. No problems at all...A lot of people don't have the patience to drive slow and take it easy...Drive 20 mph or less and you will be fine. It's worth the extra 30-40 minutes drive time to not have to change a flat or worse yet clean dust out of everything. I have triple axles and have came in both ways, westside and eastside and have yet to get a flat...Knock on wood..!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom