Treating Bone for Mounting

eyeguard

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-08 AT 01:50PM (MST)[p]Hey Gang,

I've got a couple of sets of antlers in my garage that I can finally get around to doing something with. They're nothing huge, but I'd like to board mount each for sentimental reasons. What is the quickest easiest way to treat the skull plate prior to mounting them? Do I need to boil them, and if so in what type of solution? Any info, advice, insight, etc. provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Me neither.
I'm not touching this one... literally or figuratively...
------------------------------------------------------
By the way,
I live in UT.
There are a lot of UTARDS that live here.
I have also seen quite a few WYOMORONS, NEVADUHNS, COLORADORKS, ID-IOTS and AIRHEADZONANS in my travels.

This one is wide open but I don't want to get banned from the site. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA............

Ha Ha Ha! Alright you sick bastages, I went in and edited what I could so it couldn't be misconstrued! :) After reading it in hindsight though, it was funnier than Hell! Got any answers for me or what?

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Is there any flesh left on the skull plate? Iis always a good idea to boil them for about 20-30 min. in some sodium carbonate (sal soda) if there isnt much flesh and they have been around for a while you could get away without the boil..But for under $5.00 in material and and under an hour of time why not..

horsepoop.gif

Thanks Buck!

I agree, why not if you can. Sorry for being naive, but I'm not familiar with sal soda. Is this something I can just get at the store, or do I have to get is some place specific?

EG

campfire2.gif

My buddy just got a smaller 6x6 bull and asked me the same question so I called a taxadermy guy I know and he said to dont boil it, mix water with Hydrogen peroxide h2o2, the 3% stuff from the any store. Heat up to point of water rolling NOT BOILING, let soak 20 minutes at a time and remove any loss matterial repeat tell clean. oh and use electrical tape around the base of the horns and water level needs to be below the tape as the mixtue will take the colorong off your horns. OH ya one more thing if you are marreid do it out side or your wife will have a fit and dont use her good pans. best of luck to ya.

Thanks cwa! I'll give that a shot and see how things go.

EG

campfire2.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom