Trial for boy killed by a Bear

I

idhoundsman

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-11 AT 05:31PM (MST)[p]So the trial for the boy that was killed by the bear in American Fork canyon started today. I was just wondering what your thoughts on this trial are. Should the state be held accountable or is this just a horrible tragedy? I am watching this real close because I know someone that is involved with this case. My own thoughts are that was just a terrible thing that happened and not all things that happen in this life is there someone or something to blame. I wonder what kind of precedent will be set if the state is ordered to pay some money. I think that this could possibly make the state liable in all accidents that happen on state land while we are hunting, biking, four-wheeling, boating, camping, or anything else that we may do for recreation. When we go out to do these things we have to assume some sort of risk and accept the outcome.

Been charged by 2 Bears!

If I'd of had my 357 on the one incident that Bear woulda died!

Stuff happens!

Sad deal when somebody gets Hurt/Killed!

Surely ain't gonna try & Sue somebody because I was in the Wild screwin with Wildlife,that's my own fault!

I also feel this was a tragedy. I would not want that happen to anyone. However the trial is between the parents and the Federal Government. USDA Forest Service. I do feel the USFS had the responsiblity to post that campground that there was a rogue bear frequenting the area. After all there was a mauling just days prior to the boy being killed in that same campground. I would think they would of closed the campground and tried to capture the bear. Just my feelings.

Julius

You are right this is between the parents and the Forest Service I said the State my bad.

Well Julius?

I don't know of any Campground that doesn't get frequented by Bears if there are Bears anywhere in the vicinity!

If most people knew what activities were happening in Campgrounds at night most of them wouldn't be staying in them!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-11 AT 06:12PM (MST)[p]The article said there were bear signs posted. It's tragic but I don't think the forest service was negligent. Just my opinion.

if someone was mauled afew days earlier then the bear should have been tracked down with dogs and killed..

This is just the kind of crap causes a cheap iron on tag in a luxury sedan affixed to the sun shade warning you about air bags, labels on a cup of coffee telling you it is hot, and so on. Ultimately, life comes with assumed risk and there are those who choose to exploit the associated misfortunes for money.

The forest service is also well aware of people who have died from falling off cliffs, drowning, lighting strikes, hypothermia, and falling trees. There are several ways they may mitigate liability for these events including increased signage posting, area restrictions, or area closures. I can tell you which option will be the most cost and liability effective.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

No, I don't think the plantiffs have a valid case. S*#( happens and it isn't always someone else's fault. Sue the bear.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I feel for the family, and their loss but once again you have to assume risk when you go in the woods. I have yet to go to a forest campground in Utah and not see bears in the area signage warning of their presence. This case I hope gets thrown out its just another way that will set precidence for keeping people out of public land because we are not smart enough to stay alive and its somone elses fault.

It sucks that happened and it is no ones fault.
BUT this is the era(spelling) we currently live in,
"I'm not responsible everyone else is."
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I also feel for the family, but if they win this case, I am going to sue the forest service or the state of alaska, for the damage done at my camp by a bear. There wasnt any signs posted that there was bears in the area. This is the problem with the world today, everybody wants to get rich by sueing someone. What if it was different, what if the boy was on a hike and got into a beehive and was allergic to bees, and died that way, would they be sueing because there was no sign posted? Does everybody need a sign?

Heres your sign "STAY HOME AND YOU WONT GET HURT OR DIE"

Oh wait, your house could burn down, you might need a sign to tell you to get out.

It was a tragedy.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the parents of the little boy
But if the forest service is held liable for what happened
it will open a lot of doors to other thing

There was a guy killed here about 7 or 8 years ago that drove his jeep into a mine pit and he was decapitated and his son was a passenger. The family sued the USFS and lost but the USFS later spent a lot of money filling all the old mining pits in my area and capping them with concrete.

Bad deal for sure but when will people accept some personal liability.

Bill

>It was a tragedy.
>My thoughts and prayers go out
>to the parents of the
>little boy
>But if the forest service is
>held liable for what happened
>
>it will open a lot of
>doors to other thing

...and it will close alot of doors too..

I think the family should be ashamed of themselves.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Sadly, as with a lot of lawyers and lawsuits today, its all about the dollars. I've really always wondered how the $$$ can really replace or ease the "pain and suffering".

They were NOT in a campground. There is no campground past the gate. They were several miles off pavement in an area campers frequent. The only thIng the state could do was shut the gate and close thousands of acres of backcountry because someone saw a bear in the woods.......

This is very bad if they win....

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

>>It was a tragedy.
>>My thoughts and prayers go out
>>to the parents of the
>>little boy
>>But if the forest service is
>>held liable for what happened
>>
>>it will open a lot of
>>doors to other thing
>
>...and it will close alot of
>doors too..
>
>I think the family should be
>ashamed of themselves.
>
>
+1

I know this family, they bought my home.
I'm terribly sorry for their loss, but....
Its not the forest services fault there are animals in the forest. Bear signs were posted in that area and have been for years, its a chance we all take when camping. These people weren't even camping in a designated area, that didn't help either. My thoughts are They are hunting for free dollars, not bears.

Sorry for the familys loss. I couldnt imagine losing a child.
But I gotta go with Darkcloud on this one.

At least it's not a jury trial and only the Judge will make the ruling. Let's hope he just looks at the facts and doesn't let emotion make his decision for him like it probably would in a jury trial!

You all are missing a key bit of info here. This is not just a bear visiting a campground and looking for food. 99% of black bears visit campgrounds to find food. They have learned over the many years that campers are a possible food source. However, there is a small percentage of black bears that will stock and kill humans. More people are killed by black bears than grizzlies. Most black bears are more afraid of humans than not and will run at the site of them. The Forest Service has a responsiblity and policy to make the forest as safe as possible for the public who uses it. They do a damn good job at it if I do say so. If there is a black bear attacking and killing people it must be destroyed. One of the key facts in the case is, the man that was attacked before the boy was killed reported the incident. I'm not sure who he reported the attack to but he did report it. I am not sure the USFS had enough time to mitigate the hazard, since the first attack happened just hours prior to the attack of the boy. Anytime there is a fatality on public land there will be an investigation to see if negligence was the cause of the death. In this case I am not so sure the USFS was neglegent if they did not have time to act and were not aware of the problem bear.

Julius

They are called accidents for a reason and not "on purpose"
I feel they are looking for a payday to help ease the pain of losing their child.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Those parents need to pull their heads out of their a$$. Then their parents need their a$$es kicked for raising such idiots! All that being said I feel horrible they lost a child.

Traditional >>>------->

Part of the reason we enjoy the forest is because it's WILD.

Every time I go into the field the responsibility is mine (and mine alone) to keep me safe.

Who knows how the judge will rule. They have been known to have no common sense.

Zeke

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=14320747

Heres the latest. I feel for her loss and it sux but if she gets one red penny it will set a whole new precidence that will screw everyone from using federal land camping, fishing, hunting etc....

One more step into locking up federal land forever. I dont have alot of faith in our legal system this case should not even be heard. BS

I think it is appauling that these parents are trying to profit from the death of their son. it is absolutely shameful. Not to mention that they are wasting taxpayer money. Some might argue that it will make the forrest service more dilegent in their efforts to prevent bear related issues but i think the publicity of a child killed would have promted that already. In my opinion they are just looking for a free ride. I hope they lose. Too bad it has already cost tax dollars.

This is a classic case of someone trying to get some Money. Case's like this should be thrown out of the system but, that will never happen in this country. I am a father and I can't imagine what this family went through But, sue the forest service because you put yourself in a situation by your own choice?

I agree with you 100% andyman. That is exactly what will happen. The forest service will start closing it all down and nobody wins from that. HAWK

"That's something I really hope getting this trial out of the way will do," she said. "Stop talking about how he died ? and be able to remember what a bright, inquisitive, funny young man he was."

A quote from the Mother.

If this is the case there are a hell of alot better ways to have your son remembered like you would like. Like I would like in the same situation..
Why go to court and spend tax dollars and tie up the system?
To have your son remembered????

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom