Tripod Help

A

archeryelk

I need to replace a tripod that I have had a few years.

I am looking more for light weight and quality since I will carry it in a backpack more than I use it.

I will be using it for a spotter but may us it some with binoculars. I glass mostly sitting so only need shorter length.

I know Bogan and others make great stuff but I don't live where being able to try one is an option.

Any help appreciated,

Archer

I haven't tried all the different brands but i love my bogen. They have new carbon fiber ones that are supposed to be pretty light weight.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-08 AT 06:51AM (MST)[p]www.outdoorsmans.com

In most cases, carbon fiber saves very little weight on the overall weight of the tripod but can add significant cost. I have also heard through what I consider a reliable source, that carbon fiber does not dampen vibration as well as aluminum legs for glassing in windy conditions. I don't know that to be fact so maybe some scientist/hunter could clarify this.

The quality of the tripod head is very important for accurate panning and glassing. For mine, I use the Jim White head and tension it just heavy enough that I can move it with pressure from my head, which allows for more hands-free time and less fatigue.

Just like most things, you get what you pay for.

CABELAS HAS A NEW CARBON FIBER TRIPOD THAT I BOUGHT A YEAR AGO, IT HAS BEEN GREAT. YOU CAN'T BEAT OUTDOORSMANS GEAR, BUT THEY ARE WAY TOO OVERPRICED.

For what it's worth, my experience with Outdoorsmans products is that they stand by it 100%. You hand them a broken product and they hand you a new one, no questions asked.

I had a vanguard with a pistol grip, but didn't like the pistol grip while using my spotter - sometimes you need small movements and with the pistol grip wasn't always easy to do that. I bought a manfrotto 3221 with a 3130 fluid head. Much better equipment choice when using my spotter. The 3221 is the heavier manfrotto tripod model, but with the wind I encounter (and weight of the spotter mounted), I wanted a heavier tripod setup. i have seen tripods fall over because the wind when left unattended for just a moment and watched grown men about cry when they break their expensive optics (the only ones they brought) during a hunt. I am also tall - some of the lighter weight manfrotto models wouldn't extend high enough for me - especially on uneven ground (like on a side of a hill). What ever you do though, get a fluid head if using a spotter.

Do you have any feedback on the Swarovski Binocular Doubler?

I know this does not make binoculars a spotting scope but wondered about it for the weight.

Archer

The Swarovski doubler is not worth the energy to throw it into the trash.
I made the mistake of buying one and tried it several times and finally returned it.

I looked at a bunch of different tripods. I was looking for something that was lightweight and reasonably sturdy for backpacking. I planned to use it with binoculars and a lightweight spotting scope. I glass mostly while sitting, out of the wind, when possible. I looked at expensive, cheap, used, and pretty much every option I could find. I finally bought a very cheap Vanguard MK-3 at Sportsman's for $30. I thought it would hold me over until I found what I really wanted. I have been very happy with it!! So, now I have another cheap piece of equipment that works fine and was made in China.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom