Triumph loads

adamsoa

I have a 13 year old daughter that I'm taking on the ML hunt this year. She gets my trusty Omega and I picked up a Triumph. I had shoulder surgery this spring so I haven't had it out to shoot yet, I've been a little timid with my arm.

The Omega loves 240gn XTP's with a crusher sabot in front of 100 gr of 209.

I'm planning on staying with the XTP's just keeping things the same. I'm hoping that somewhere around 100 gn of 209 should do the trick.

Anyone else have anything their triumph loves?

respect my authorita

115gr of BH209, CCI 209M primer pushing a 325gr Hornady FTX in a Harvester crush rib sabot. My Triumph drives nails with that.

I just purchased a TC Triumph bone collector edition last year. I've been shooting the TC Shock Wave bullets in 250 gr and 200 gr. with both Pyrodex pellets and loose 777.

For the hunt last year I went with a 200 grain bullet over 125 gr of 777 and I was very happy with the accuracy. I went with this load on the theory that it would have a flatter trajectory.

This year I have switched to 209 not because I was disappointed with accuracy from the 777 but because of the crud ring it produced. I wound up having two sabots get stuck in the barrel before resting on the powder and I had to soak the powder out to remove the bullets/sabots. I was so upset with the potential of that occurring during a hunting situation that it made me change.

This year I've been practicing with 120 gr of 209 and a 200 grain Shock Wave. I find that after my first shot or two the bullets start rising one inch at 50 yards and three inches at 100 yards which is bothering me. That was even with doing one wet spit patch and 2 dry patches between each shot. I'm thinking I will either need to do a better clean between shots or else sight in with a fouled barrel and hunt with a fouled barrel. I can't figure out why those shots are rising but I'm guessing it's due to fouling build-up in the barrel.

I'll experiment a bit more this week at the range to see if I can figure out the best option.

I love the Triumph though and am confident it will shoot most common loads great.

I'm curious to see what others share.

One side note, I thought it was interesting that on the bottle of 209 they say to use regular shotshell 209 primers rather than in-line muzzleloader 209 primers. Anyone know why?

Over the last few months have tried 4-5 different bullets and sabots, all have shot well but plan on sticking with 95 grains of 209 and a 350 grain FBP the sabots shot a little better but the ease of loading is what won them over for me. As far as your shots starting to hit high after a few shots, I'm willing to bet it is cause of your fouled bore, I don't even consider my first five shots while practicing but after about the sixth shot every thing settles in. The 209 needs a little more fire than other blackpowder sub. Is why they don't recommend the muzzy 209s.

My Triumph shoots 1" groups with Shockwaves (basically the same as Hornady SST Low Drag) and Barnez TEZ bullets. I use 110gr of BH209. The key is to ignore the first shot out of a clean barrel, then keep shooting. Can easily get 15 shots without cleanin AT ALL.

This wasn't even my thread I started but I sure appreciate the two posts above.

Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom