trophy bonded tip ammo question

searcher

I am wondering how the trophy bonded tip bullets perform on elk and other large game. I am sighting in a 300 win mag for a possible elk hunt. I don't reload and am looking at the Federal premium trophy bonded tip in 180 grain. Anyone kill any elk with this bullet? how did it perform? Any comments are appreciated.

Tim

Probably not the best long range accuracy bullet but as for performance----one of the best bullets there is!!!!!

with you shooting a .300 winny i would find the best shooting 180 load. super premiums aren't a must if you can shoot. a 180 grain of any manufacture placed accuratly in the boiler room will kill any elk dead. i have killed 6 elk in a row with a 165 ballistic tip. no tracking. my dad has gotten 4 in a row with 180 accubonds. both of us use .300 win mags. placement is much more important than big $$ bullets. my 2 pennies

Thanks for all your comments. I have shot a box of Winchester super-X, a box of federal fusion, and a half a box of the Federal premium trophy bonded tips. So far, the trophy bonded tips pattern the best but as you point out are also the most expensive to shoot. I am going to shot a box of federal classics this weekend. I have also noticed that I can tighten up the groups by cleaning the barrel every 10-12 rounds. Who would have guessed? LOL.

Personally I like the Barnes ttsx and so does my rifle.

I have witnessed first hand the Federal premium trophy bonded tip, dump Elk and it would be my number two choice. Consistent great penetration and hold together in that bullet. I agree with you- 180gr is the best .30cal bullet on elk.

I urge you to stay with the premium bullets. yes, they are almost twice as expensive BUT what is $20 in the scheme of things when it is the 'get-er-done' part of the hunting equation?

Best of luck on your hunt-

I have shot some of the Barnes bullets out of another rifle and was not happy with the results. Over the years I have shot Federal over 75 percent of the time so I will probably stay with Federal. I do want to find what shoots the best out of my 300. I have never killed an elk and have heard a lot of second hand reports of problems with the different composite tipped bullets. You are correct that when you drive cross country and spend hundreds and thousands of dollars for a one-week hunt, it does not make sense to pinch $25.00 off a box of ammo. On the other hand, I have killed more deer with the cheaper ammo than with premium.

yup killing deer is fairly easy. out of the couple thousand I have handled 100lbs was about average.

However, of all the Elk I have packed I'd say 700lbs was more the average hoof weight.

my experience is that 'cheaper' bullets just don't hold up as well, when you hit bigger objects. Hence, Bonded is a good term in an elk bullet. The polymer tip as you know helps with aerodynamics. I'm like you, I should have bought stock in Federal a long time ago, maybe I would have earned a couple dollars back.

And yes, Barnes just do not work out of some rifles.

Where are you chasing Elk?

So, are you saying the trophy bonded tips are adequate or good for elk or would you go with the Federal nosler partitions? Or would you go with which ever one that shoots best from my rifle? I drew a limited entry license in Wyoming and this could be my best / last chance to kill an elk. I don't want the bullet I shoot to be the reason I don't come home with a bull.

Bill

thanks for your comments. I have a Ruger M77 MKII in .270 and the TBBC has been by far the best grouping off-the-shelf ammo
that I have shot out of this 270 Ruger. I would shoot the TBBC out of my 300 if I could find it. I have killed several antelope and mule deer with the 270 and I hope the trophy bonded tip ammo does as well out of my 300. As I said, I am not a reloader and probably never will be. I do strive for one-shot kills every time I go hunting.

There is no question they're a great bullet, nothing but an improvement on a proven design. if they shoot good for you don't look back. the only reason I haven't tried them is I can't find them for reloading.

If you are worried about it then use the partition it's the standard all others are judged by.

For the last 20 years I've used nothing but trophy bonded bear-claws and have never had an Elk run off more than a 50 yards with my .338...dropped a cow at 400 yds last year..she took about 10 steps and that was it..they are getting spendy though..

Thanks again for all the comments. Bought 2 more boxes of ammo for my 300. Hope to shoot 200 and 300 yards this weekend

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom