TUMBLING BRASS ?????????

ground up corn cobb and walnut hulls are the main ones used. I prefer the walnut hulls as it cleans faster, but have a tendency to get stuck in the primer pocket if you deprime prior to tumbling.

RELH

I lke to tumble polish before I deprime...that way I don't have meda stuck in the flash hole/primer pocket..:RIMROCK

Howdy 338! I thought you fell off the face of the earth?

I have no clue about tumblers, just wanted to say hi!

I use treated Walnut first after cleaning necks with a brass/copper cleaner, Re-Size, then again with non-treated corn cob. Super shiney and don't have to pick all the primer flash holes.

I've tried walnut and corncob and corncob is BY FAR the best.

And though some people might try to tell you that Brasso will corrode the brass, me, my father and grandfather have used Brasso, mixed with corncob media for a combined 50 years with NO ill effects on the brass. Ever.

Try about 2 tablespoons and tumble it into the media for 30 minutes (open) and let it dry out a bit before adding the brass.

Oh, speaking of compounds...
As I mentioned, I use corn too... I used Mike Davis Polishing Compound, that stuff is GREAT!
I picked it up at a gun show.

I have been using Isso Case Cleaner lately, I got it from Cabelas, it is a solvent type cleaner. I'm not sure what I think about it, it cleans good and no problems so far but I read if you let the brass soak too long it can have some ill effects. I like it because it is faster and you don't have to worry about media in your flash hole. Anyone else have opions about solvent cleaners?

I hate media in my flash hole :)

seriously though, tumble brass before you size/de-prime and you wont have that problem.

horsepoop.gif

Corncob IS the best. For media, I would tell you that I use Brasso and have never had problems, but then a gazillion people would jump all over my case about the ammonia being corrosive and such and causing weaker brass, etc. So I won't tell you to use Brasso.

Use something without ammonia.

I tumble WITHOUT primers, but then I clean the primer poket out with a little wire primer pocket brush. Gets all the gunk out of the very corners or the pockets, allowing for easier insertion of the primer.

tapehoser, do you have any consern for the residue left in the case by the brasso? or do you just clean the outside of the case with it? i took it like you treat the media with it. i do clean the inside with a brush, but it would seem it would take considerable effort the get the brasso out?

I put a tablespoon or two of Brasso right into the media and tumble it for a while until the Brasso dries.

THEN I put the brass into the tumbler for an hour or two. I've NEVER seen a residue on the brass. In fact, the only time the brass looks ugly is when I use walnut shell media. That stuff makes the brass look REALLY weird.

I even used to sell brass on eBay and had a LOT of comments from my buyers that the brass was VERY clean and shiny.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom