Turned Down...TOO FAT!

muleyman

Very Active Member
So my wife comes home tonight, in tears, that her best friend and husband have been turned down by 3 health insurance companies for being "over weight"! To tell you the truth I really didn't think they were all that BIG! She is 5'11 size 16 guessing bout 220-225 (wife told me) and he's 5'10 probably 250. Ages 34, no tabacco, married 15yrs with no kids because she can't.

All 3 insurance companies came back and said they needed to "better" their height to weight ratio or loose atleast 38-45lbs each! My first thought was this couldn't be legal, could it? She is an RN and he is a youth mentor, not that it matters. They had been fully covered since she became an RN, but recently went to part time and they couldn't afford to pay the premium the hospital wanted, so they began the "shopping".

Anyone else had the same done to them? Any health insurance salesman on here that has some advise, other than "loose the weight lard butts"!

muleyman

loose the weight lard butts

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I don't think it should be legal BUT if your too big or fat or smoke or have any addiction issues you should have to pay more for insurance then someone who doesn't have those issues!!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-11 AT 06:32AM (MST)[p]for some being fat isn't as easy as walking on a treadmill 10 min every day. some have heredity, thyroid conditions , depression ect. i think people should be judged on the number of times they go to the doctor for rate increases as well a 160 pound hypocondriac that goes to the doctor every time they sneeze is a lot bigger burden on the system than a 250 pound person who never goes. anyone's health can go in the crapper at any time not just overweight people. everyone should pay the same. i have a co-worker who is skinny as a rail and always preaches that fat folks should pay more ect. but ironicly he has a wife with all kinds of problems and a kid with autism and other health issues. he misses at least 10 days a month taking them to the doctor. why should he pay less?

JB, I want my fat to just turn loose also. I think that would be a much easier way to get rid of it than eating less.

Its legal. One of the provisions of Obama health care plan is to make this illegal. I'm not taking a side on this I'm plain tired of fighting about anything political.

Yesterday the Government came out that this generation of children will be the first generation to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents because of obesity. We are up to 33% of children that are obese. I have more crap in my files about high blood pressure, thyroid conditions, heart problems, asthma for children in my school system than you can believe, and I live in a rural area.
We are a nation eating and not-exercising ourselves into the graveyard.

Me and my Wife were nearly on the other side of that. We were within a couple lbs of being too skinny when we got our new insurance a few years ago.

I was recently turned down by "Select Health" because 2 years ago I went to the doctor because I had a stuffy nose, and he gave me a nasal spray. It was my one and only trip to the doctor in the past 5 years.

2a0fcsk.gif

Just an interesting side note here. My company is charging an extra 80 dollars a month for insurance payments for anyone who smokes. Rumor has it that we will be banning smoking anywhere on the property to encourage people to stop. Personally, Im happy to see the charges go up for people who are at higher risk and taking actions to help anyone to live a healthier lifestyle. If that means motivating people by charging them more, go for it.

I work for Boeing and smoking has been banned completely for the last two years and I couldn't be happier. I agree there are some health issues that cause people to be overweight and those should be judge independently but there are a lot of people that just can't push themselves away from the table or are to lazy to work out and those are the folks that should have to pay more then the folks working to take care of themselves. Go ahead and smoke and over eat just get ready to pay for those bad habits.

Lose the weight. This may be a little blunt but EVERYONE can lose weight with diet and exercise. For some it is more difficult. You can't blame genetics anymore. That "fat" gene has to have a trigger...That trigger is usually food. Depression, Thyroid, autism, diabetes, you name it can all be reversed with diet and exercise. With all the drugs on the market they have you believing that you can't do anything on your own anymore. You have to buckle down and get SERIOUS!

Traditional >>>------->

a lot of fat haters here and thats fine. i still maintain that people that draw off the system should pay more. fat, smokers, and people who insist on having tons of kids. a skinny couple with five kids are going to go to the doctor a heck of a lot more than my fat arse. i never go, why should i pay more?? if you suck the insurance dry with claims you should pay more whether you way 400 pounds or 150 my 2 cents

Grizz...if you guys ban smoking...your gonna have a buncch of fattys running around.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I don't really think there are a lot of fat haters on site. I do know the Medical statics on the effects of obesity, smoking an unhealthy diets on increases in doctor visits and hospitalization. I have a 32 year old friend who is thin and runs marathons and had a mild heart attack last Sunday. So I will agree genetics does play a part. The statics are overwhelming on the diseases brought on by obesity.

Looks like they are going by BMI - I will probably have to lose some weight then in order to comply with the federal mandate to have insurance. So I guess the government can make me lose weight and tell me what to eat!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-11 AT 11:12AM (MST)[p]

You would think that it would be cheaper to insure someone with an unhealthy lifestyle for 40 years (till 60) than it is to insure a healthy lifestyle for 60 years (till 80)..

How many people do you know over 70 and dont take a handful of pills everyday? Or have a doctors appointment at least twice a month? Its said Medicare is going broke because people are living longer..Now we are trying to kill ourselves off sooner, and they dont like that either...

So which one is it?

I'm a ex athlete who at 6'2 1/2 weighed 250lbs as a starting major college inside linebacker. I didn't have a ounce of fat on me.

Now, many years later, i'm looking forward to getting anywhere under the 300lb mark. How is a guy like me ever going to meet their requirements? Do some peoples bones weigh more than others? Being 200 lbs for me, i would be nothing but skin and bones! :)

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-11 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]i hear ya sageadvice. two years ago when i was lifting and doing the cardio i had a 32 inch waist but weighed 205 pounds. the bmi chart said i was obese. now have gained weight and working to get it off but i will never qualify. only bean poles with 6" biceps can get a good insurance rate i guess.

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-11
>AT 02:22?PM (MST)

>
>i hear ya sageadvice. two years
>ago when i was lifting
>and doing the cardio i
>had a 32 inch waist
>but weighed 205 pounds. the
>bmi chart said i was
>obese. now have gained weight
>and working to get it
>off but i will never
>qualify. only bean poles with
>6" biceps can get a
>good insurance rate i guess.
>

There's you problem right there....There is no such thing as a good insurance rate!
2a0fcsk.gif

Sage,You might be in great shape at 250?? It's based more on your blood pressure, Heart rate, It's not just about being skinny!! Some body fat is good. I'm 5'11" 204 and at about 22% body fat, Blood pressure 120/72 most of the time and that's at 54 years old. If your blood pressure is good and heart rate is low your golden. My body mass index say's I should be about 160lbs??? That's nuts and my Dr, agrees. Insurance companies are f'd.

Insurance companies are going to do anything and everything to increase their profit margin. If they could get by with it they would like mandatory medical insurance for anyone in GOOD HEALTH starting at age 18. They then would suck you for your monthly fees until you are age 50 and then drop you like a hot potatoe before you need to have more medical expenses. They would then walk into the sunset with your money and not look back.

RELH

yeah i pay a 20% premium every month because i am in the "fat" category for my health ins company. I wont argue that im overweight but i havent been to a dr in 10 years so wtf that should count for something.

I'm 5'10 190 lbs. I could lose 10 pounds....or just cut off my d!ck....anyway....my insurance sucks. I pay $500 a month for my family and it doesn't cover jack. It's "just in case something major goes wrong" insurance. BUT....I wouldn't be caught dead without it.
I would have to say that being turned down is a good motivator to get back in shape and get healthier. Just my two cents.

Steve
I got put in time out for a bad signature! Sorry Founder...

Not a fat hater here...My whole family is fat, I work with fat people for a living. I get to see every excuse in the book why people "can't" lose weight....Then, when they figure it out and lose the weight they are blown away that they lived the life they lived for so long.

Traditional >>>------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom