UBA in bed with SFW????????????

CNEDEER

Has UBA hopped in bed with SFW?? I just saw the new issue of the Bowstring, and on the new member sign up form (page 13), there is an endorsment from Don Peay and SFW. That fact, coupled with UBA getting into the business of conservation tags, seems they are taking a turn for the worst.

I hope this is not the case as I was excited with the new leadership of UBA, and looking forward to UBA and BOU working together more.

Taylor West

www.bowhuntersofutah.org

It sounds like you are "looking forward to working with UBA". Nice way to reach out and offer your willingness to work with us, NOT.

The reason we have an endorsement from Don Peay is because we want people to see that we can/do work with different groups, you didnt mention the others who endorsed UBA, is that because you are trying to stir $h!t or is this how you work 'with' people? This is on the sign up sheet telling potential new members some of the good things UBA does for bowhuunters in Utah. Don't go making horse apple comments about a group you claim to want to work with, maybe ask the same question for respectful and you will get a more respectful response. And yes I know, you are a member of both, if so then ask the correct questions to the right people in the right setting in the right way.

You are correct in UBA getting two conservation tags, an archery deer Vernon tag and an archery deer Book Cliffs tag, we did NOT get them from SFW however. We are excited to get these tags and we insisted the be current tags not new tags. Like it or not these tags are NOT going away and we believe by getting a couple of them we can put our money where our mouths are and get some money and volunteer hours on the ground directly helping bowhunting as well as habitat for critters. We will account for every PENNY in our Bowstring newsletter and on our website; www.utahbowmen.org.

Bart Hansen

Dude, Relax. I didn't see any groups besides SFW in the magazine that have adamantly opposed bowhunting. SFW has always made it known who they are representing and it has never been bowhunters. The only other group I saw was MDF and a few individual guys. I feel that those people and that group are good for bowhunting and bowhunters. Why would I need to mention them??

Your statement of "we have an endorsement from Don Peay is because we want people to see that we can/do work with different groups," is like saying the NAACP joins up with the KKK just to show they get along with others. Your logic doesn't make sense.

I don't know you and you don't know me so why the instant attitude. I am NOT a member of both groups and if I were I would be quite upset that you would react to a fellow UBA member how you did. I did send Jerry a PM and expected him to respond when he could. Until then, I was hoping an educated member of UBA could respond. I'm still waiting.

Indeed I was looking forward to working with UBA's new leaders but if that means being in bed with SFW and dealing with guys like you....NO THANKS.

You started with the attitude in the title of your first post. Reread it and tell me how I should respond. If you are a UBA member then act like it, don't bring into question the motives of the group. We will work 'WITH' SFW when the are on the right side of issues, we will FIGHT against them when they are on the wrong side of issues. You claim UBA is in bed with SFW, yet UBA opposed and is STILL opposed to the pick your region issue that SFW supports. How is that being in bed with them? We also oppose their stance on shortening the archery season, again, how is this being in bed with them. Is it because they see UBA doing good things not just for archers but all hunters in Utah? What a concept. If making derogatory comments is how YOU show your willingness to work with someone, I question your sincerity. You make it sound as if you are a UBA member and not a BOU member yet you but a link to BOU's website. Interesting. I have been talking with some of the main members of BOU and feel we can 'work' together, but not by making posts like the one you started with.

I don't understand what I said to insinuate I am a member of UBA. I never made it sound that way. You said you knew who I was and that I was a member, which I am not. I am a founding member of BOU. Keep talking to whomever you are talking to. If I offended you, please accept my apology. I simply wanted clarification on SFW in bed with UBA and I now have it. To me it is all or nothing. Perhaps you and your group can do the limited support thing. If so, great. Good luck to you and yours. Taylor West

I have talked with both Gordy and Tim, they gave me the impression, I do not want to put words in their mouths, that they are willing to work with SFW on issues that BOTH agree on, that is exactly what UBA is doing. You implied you're in both groups in your first post, if you are not, my bad. It still changes nothing on your statement " to me it is all or nothing", how do you expect to work with any group including your own if it's all or nothing? Do not memebers of your own group disagree on certain issues with each other? Why should the standard then be different for working with other groups? If it is all or nothing then forget about working with UBA, as there are a few issues we disagree on. This a silly stance to have when you are trying to get things changed/improved for bowhunters, we must work with those who can help and work against those who are in the way. SFW is not anti-archery, they're president is an archer. Just because they have a different view on one issue does NOT make then the enemy. Think about your stance "all or nothing". I believe the two groups, UBA and BOU can and will work together on most issues, there will be some issues we will disagree on.

PRO

As an outsider, considering membership in one or both of these organizations...I am disappointed in both of these posts, and responses.
Come on guys say sorry and get over it, you both posted inflammatory comments. It seems to me that this is the last thing we need is two Pro-Bowhunting orgs within Utah arguing and taking sides.

Bowhunt,

Well said. I agree whole heartedly. We need to at a minimum show a united front on the issues we do agree upon. Thanks for the reality check.

Pro,

If I offended you, I am sorry and it was not my intention (or at least is shouldn't have been). I can never agree that SFW is a good bet or an organization that will help us, the bowhunters. I will however, look forward to working with UBA on the issues we see, or should see, eye to eye on.

Thanks, Taylor West

Its all good on my side. We will move on and work together whenever possible. UBA will work with any group that will work with us on issues, and we will fight any group that works against us on issues. Its all about better hunting, but mostly for archers, after all that is who is paying membership dues. Taylor, I look forward to getting to know you as a person rather than just a computer biologist like the rest on here.

I think that we all should work together and do what is best for bowhunters in Utah and for those fellow bowhunters coming to hunt in our state.

I'm not overwhelmed with some gorups in our state but I have spent alot of time at the SLC DWR office and have gone thru numerous pages of conservation tag paid projects for wildlife in our state.

Gary---Taylor.... calm down fella's....

There are some dang good guys/gals in all state groups and of course a few in certain group that are all about themselves.
Lets just work on a bright future for bowhunters and let those 'bad eggs' do their normal thing.. whatever and whomever...

Robb

How are the cottontails out your way Gary? Ya done any bow bunny hunting this winter?

I agree that the SFW did not support bow hunters in the past but I also believe that bowhunting was misunderstood by many in high positions. Up until now there has not been a strong voice to represent bowhunters in this state so a lot of issues that bowhunters have had were ignored. I am a member of UBA and strongly support working with all organizations (including SFW and MDF) to promote wildlife. Do I agree with everything SFW does? Probably not. Does the UBA go along with everything the SFW says? Probably not. Are we willing to work with these sportsmans groups to promote wildife conservation and find common ground to accomplish our goals? You bet. If you don't support any of that, that's your perogative. By all means don't join any group that wants to work with other groups to conserve our hunting heritage. But, if you want to work with a group of great guys that share a common belief (conserving our bowhunting heritage) we would love to have you join the ranks.

It's always an adventure!!!

WHOLE- Well said.

You have to forgive CNE, to say he is passionate about wildlife and bowhunting is an understatement. His heart is true, he just lets that passion get away with him sometimes.

He is a MAN, after all. :)

Love ya T-Bone!!

I think the way alot of these posts read is that some of you guys think we are all newbies with Utah bowhunting and that we are not aware of what UBA or BOU is about...

Sorry but you guys are the newbies with the new logic and with the new approach.

Most of us have been with UBA for YEARS...

WHOLE that reads great but it is out of SFW 101 presentation skills class, we have heard/read the same gig for like 5-6 years steady....nothing personal towards you at all WHOLE just it is the same old gig.... out in the future somewheres it will be better and great.....join up with us....SFW...

So thru you guys eyes... UBA has done nothing for the bowhunters of Utah in the past but now UBA will..........??

Robb

Robb, I have never said UBA did nothing for bowhunters in the past, NEVER. I am now on the Board of Directors and do not look back to what was done in the past, except to see what worked and what didn't work. UBA is committed to being a part of wildlife issues and the decisions that affect bowhunting, that does not belittle what UBA has done in the past, only stating what UBA is working and fighting for NOW.

Bart

No offense taken. I understand where you are coming from Robb and yes I am a "newbie" when it comes to being a part of UBA. I am not a newbie to bowhunting however, and have spent the better part of 20 years with stick and string in this state. Up until the time I met Jerry Slaugh at the Rocky Mountain Hunting Expo I had no idea that the UBA even existed. I had heard of a "bowhunting group" in Utah but I didn't know what they represented or the stance they were taking on hunting issues in Utah. I am sure that is partly my fault for not getting involved but at the same time, I do think there is a correlation between issues that are being heard now (for bowhunters) and the way UBA has organized themselves. Just ask Jerry, I talked with him and grilled him over some issues before I made up my mind to join up my entire family. I didn't want my name associated with an organization that just had a name. I realize that there have been a number of bowhunters that have sacrificed a lot of blood sweat and tears over the past 10-15 years, and they have not recieved enough credit. I also realize that the voice of bowhunters has primarily resided in the bigger cities. Except for the last couple of years, very little contact has been made to the rural communities, where, in my oppinion, is the biggest concentration of bowhunters reside. I am excited to get involved. I am not a member of SFW or MDF but I will support their cause if it promotes big game development and they will work with the UBA. Unfortunately the hunting community is so competitive that sometimes we defeat our purpose by not finding common ground. If there is ever an end to hunting in the future, this will be the biggest factor. I will look forward to meeting you at some of the meetings Robb. I am sure that we share some of the same passions and beliefs as well as some difference in oppinion.

It's always an adventure!!!

Thanks Bart.... don't know where I got Gary from??

Okay that is most probably the best way to approach the future is to let burnt bridges sink and float away and start new bridges....

WHOLE yeh the few times I have chatted with Jerry, he is stand-up and honest.

Have some meetings a little farther north.... ha

Robb

I don't know where you got Gary from either.? I was trying to figure out who you were referring to. I haven't bowhunted at all this year, still trying to recover from an accident I had Sept 05. I plan on hitting it hard in 07 to make up for lost time.

I am willing to sit down with anyone at anytime to improve hunting/bowhunting that is sincere in their motives, I have trouble when people make comments like CNDEER's opening post here. This does NOT show a willingness to work with UBA,SFW,MDF, or any other group that is trying to help wildllife and hunting in Utah, that's why I got a little riled.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-06 AT 03:20PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-06 AT 03:18?PM (MST)

Pro,

What part of the opening post got you riled up?? I meerely stated the facts and then said I hoped it was not the case because I felt SFW has not had bowhunters best interests in mind. I think you are making assumptions when you try to determine my motives or feelings. I truely want to better bowhunting in Utah and work with UBA. As for SFW...to each his own. I was simply under the impression that after SFW wanted to shorten the archery season and make us pick a region,and keep elk hunters out of the rut, and sell 200 plus conservation tags, etc... UBA would not support them.

I spent a good while on the phone with Jerry Slaugh last night. He helped me to understand why UBA has the SFW endorsment. Although I do not agree with it, I now understand why it is in place. I have absoutley no problem with Jerry, UBA or any organization that helps the average Joe archer better his hunting opportunities. In fact I have no problem with you. I think you got your feelings hurt over the draw lock thing and have cast that onto anything BOU says or does. Don't let one small issue (especially one that was only tabled, not tubed) ruin your ability to discern between what is good for all archers.

With that said, I will no longer debate this here with you. I posted the facts. I did not exaggerate, mis-lead, or slander you or your group in any way. If the facts are that touchy, then perhaps you, as a UBA board member, should fight harder to keep them out of your newsletter.

Finally, if I offended you personally I again appologize. As that was not my intention. Nor did I intend to put the mouth on UBA. I indeed can see how that was conceived. May you have a safe and speedy recovery and be slingin' arrows come next season.

Happy Holidays
Taylor West

Taylor, first off, I was not nor am I now offended. I just felt the need to present the REAL facts. I have no ill will toward you or Tim and Gordy. They have both e-mailed me and I have responded in kind, I look forward not in the past. Don't imply negative things that are not true about UBA and you and I will have no problems. I do not mind people having differing opinions, I do have problems with people being less than fully upfront with where they stand and what they stand for. I offend people all the time because I WILL let people know right where I stand and what I stand for, I just need to learn how to do this nicer.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, and thanks for wishing me well and success, same to you. I will try to be 'nicer' in my responses to your posts in the future.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom