Uinta Mountain Any Bull Advice

RoadlessHunter

We are headed for the North Slope in the Uinta's to chase some bulls. I have never hunted for bulls on the North Slope. If anyone has any general advice for hunting the North Slope I'm all ears.

Yeah it's a crowded zoo. Hunt the middle ground between the road hunters and the horseman...that's usually the 2-6 mile area in.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-15 AT 12:23PM (MST)[p]Stay low and don't stand back up until the shooting stops. If you find a bull you have 3.8 seconds to kill it before the orange army starts shooting. There are 245 people to every elk up there! Make sure you build a fire opening morning to warm you hands (just to fit it) and don't sight in your rifle until tonight. Out of camp like everyone else. If you hit the lotto and kill one DONT LEAVE IT. It will come back to life and end up in some ones camp. O ya last thing don't shoot black elk THEY ARE MOOSE!!!!!! Good luck.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-15
>AT 12:23?PM (MST)

>
>Stay low and don't stand back
>up until the shooting stops.
>If you find a bull
>you have 3.8 seconds to
>kill it before the orange
>army starts shooting. There are
>245 people to every elk
>up there! Make sure you
>build a fire opening morning
>to warm you hands (just
>to fit it) and don't
>sight in your rifle until
>tonight. Out of camp like
>everyone else. If you hit
>the lotto and kill one
>DONT LEAVE IT. It will
>come back to life and
>end up in some ones
>camp. O ya last thing
>don't shoot black elk THEY
>ARE MOOSE!!!!!! Good luck.

This sounds just like the LAST time I hunted the south slope maybe they all moved north??? Nope welcome to General Elk hunting in Utah it,s like that most open public land. :D

Thanks for the advice. Me and my son Roadless hunter took your advice and it worked out well.

We hunted an area that I had hunted once before and my best friend lost his wallet there with a few hundred dollars cash in it that I had just gave him for his hay crop.

Last time there, we saw no other hunters once we left the road. This time we saw lots of hunters. We ran into a party of 4 hunting together two miles from the road and near our first destination. They asked where we were going and we told them. They said that they would not advise it because they had just been there. There was a large camp there and they had just watched someone drop a raghorn in the meadow there a few minutes earlier. We went there anyway and saw the big camp, so we kept going toward our second destination two miles further back in.

We were walking through thick pines and suddenly, through a small gap in the trees, I spotted a four point bull about 60 yards away just standing there watching us. We dropped him, boned him out and packed out all the meat to the road before dark. (The antlers aren't much, but the meat is great).

That was a good deal because I had to be home for a meeting
Sunday night. We saw one of those large black bull elk crossing the road on the way out, but couldn't shoot him because we only had one tag.

Now Roadless hunter and his wife have five Wyoming elk tags between them and that is coming up next.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom