ultimate dream pack

E

elkantler75

i am starting a new line of packs for the spike camp hunter. what would your dream pack consist of. any and all input is very helpful. thanks and i hope to hear some good feedback or ideas!!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-07 AT 10:23PM (MST)[p]I've been waiting a long time to hear those words. Here's my wish list in no particular order.

1. Adjustable suspension
2. Hydration compatible
3. External spotting scope/tripod pockets
4. Western camo pattern (Max 1)
5. Pockets on the waist belt
6. Capable of carrying a rifle/bow
7. Self contained rain fly
8. Top loading
9. Meat shelf
10. Internal frame
11. Horizontal compression straps around the whole pack
12. Multiple attachment points for attaching extra gear
13. Soft, quiet (even at below 0 temps), waterproof material

It would be nice if this pack was about 2500 CI but could be expanded to about 5000 by adding accessory pouches similar to the Eberlestock Spike Camp duffels.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-07 AT 11:12AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-07 AT 09:44?AM (MST)

ammoman, you just described my ultimate dream pack, the Horn Hunter Mainbeam XL pack!
I love every Cubic inch of it!

476554f84a0aea18.jpg

www.sophuntinggear.com/hornhunter/site.pl?page=hh05
}}-SLIVER-->

You cant argue with the eberlestock.....I wished I could get one just like it that was only about 1800-2200 in its smallest form and does'nt wiegh more than 5 lbs...... And keep it smaller than a guys back, I hate when the pack sticks out the sides or above the head to far. Also put the rifle carrier on the back or the top like the jannesens, not right against your back like the eberle. That way the main load is right against your back. I also like alot of attachment points. If a pack has alot you can tie almost anything to it. Oh YEAH......LIGHTWIEGHT

If huntin is a sport.....Well your lookin at an athlete!

i have always thought it would be pretty sweet if you could work out some sorta system-pack. like take a big pack for hiking in all your stuff make all the cargo space removable, maybe some sort of zip off feature, so you would have a clean open fold-up shelf for packing out animals, and incorporate some little day pack easily attachable to the outside for the day scouting/hunting away from base camp. also dedicated spots for things like sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and tents are always important on any large pack. i have no idea how all this would work but it all dreams don't have to be real :)

>i have always thought it would
>be pretty sweet if you
>could work out some sorta
>system-pack. like take a
>big pack for hiking in
>all your stuff make all
>the cargo space removable, maybe
>some sort of zip off
>feature, so you would have
>a clean open fold-up shelf
>for packing out animals, and
>incorporate some little day pack
>easily attachable to the outside
>for the day scouting/hunting away
>from base camp. also
>dedicated spots for things like
>sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and
>tents are always important on
>any large pack. i
>have no idea how all
>this would work but it
>all dreams don't have to
>be real :)

You just described the Mossback Bounty Hunter by Blacks-Creek! Check out the video:

http://www.mossback.com/video/mossbackbountyhunterpackvideo.mpg

>>i have always thought it would
>>be pretty sweet if you
>>could work out some sorta
>>system-pack. like take a
>>big pack for hiking in
>>all your stuff make all
>>the cargo space removable, maybe
>>some sort of zip off
>>feature, so you would have
>>a clean open fold-up shelf
>>for packing out animals, and
>>incorporate some little day pack
>>easily attachable to the outside
>>for the day scouting/hunting away
>>from base camp. also
>>dedicated spots for things like
>>sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and
>>tents are always important on
>>any large pack. i
>>have no idea how all
>>this would work but it
>>all dreams don't have to
>>be real :)
>
>You just described the Mossback Bounty
>Hunter by Blacks-Creek! Check out
>the video:
>
>http://www.mossback.com/video/mossbackbountyhunterpackvideo.mpg

Don't buy the Mossback bounty Hunter pack, My dad bought it and wishes that he hadn't. The thing weighs 17.0 LBS empty!!!!!
That is 10 Lbs heavier than a pack that size should be!

))--SLIVER-->

both those packs have elements i was thinking of, the j107 looks like it gets down to a nice day pack size (though a bit big, but it is nice to be able to get meat out without having to return to camp) and seems like a great hiking pack but i was thinking of a completely detachable pack system similar to the mossback product s o when you do get back to camp/truck you can strip the back to bare bones (water and maybe a little cargo) and go back up for more meat. The mossback one also includes a pocket for a sleeping bag but i was thinking more external connection which both seem to have. I was trying to think of stuff not on any pack cause he asked for help designing a pack so i thought it should just include ideas to look at and maybe better ways to implement things already on packs. i will keep thinking about it and let you know if i come up with anything else, till then good luck

Sliver,
Will the Hornhunter Mainbeam XL easly handel packing out a boned out elk quarter with out ANY risk of suffering dammage to itself? How well made a pack is it and is it designed to be able to pack out a boned out elk quarter?

I ask because I have a awesome 6500ci extrn frm pack for packing out an elk once down, but it realy is not well suited for hunting all day with.

I would realy appreciate your opinion.

Thanks,
Arthur.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-08 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]Art:
Hey man I actually have a Main beam XL that I hunted with this past season. I was able to bone out the elk that I shot on the archery hunt and I Fit one Quater as well as the Back straps on my pack alone. It has an awesome feature for hauling meat. It actually stays on the outside of the pack which is great for archery hunting because it is so stinkin' hot usually. I put all the meat this year just in games bags then attached it to my pack and it stayed pretty cool for the most part and was able to air out as I brought it off the mountain. One of my buddies that I was hunting with hauled out one of the other Quarters for me with his pack(which is a Bad lands) but he hauled the meat down inside his pack. I did not know this until we were back at camp but the meat actuallly got too hot and was not able to breathe therefor it went bad. I am embarrassed to say that on here but that is what happened and I feel bad that I lost that meat and I learned from that experience of how important it is to air your game out as you haul it off the mountain. On this pic that I am posting you can kinda see what I am talking about. You just put the meat where the horns are in the pic. If ya have any other questions shoot me a pm if ya want. Needless to say I am a huge fan of this pack and I have put it to the test. I love it.....

47a73f9311b8c90a.jpg

redelkarcher>>>---------------->

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-08 AT 09:36AM (MST)[p]Ya the Mainbeam XL has an external meat hauling system that is designed for hauling quarters of game. How it works is you lay the pack with the straps down, set the quarter of elk on top of the pack, then there is a large flap that goes on top of the quarter that has like 6 secure points that sandwiches the quarter to the pack. We usually put the quarter in a game bag before attaching it to the pack just for the cleanliness factor. It seems very well balanced when all strapped down and realistically you could haul more than one quarter at one time if you were man enough. I am just a little guy so one hind quarter of an elk is about all I can handle.

Hope this helps. I love everything about this pack and highly recommend it.

47a73f0e0fbe6e33.jpg

))-SLIVER-->

Spot for bow and sheds!

Timberline
479e683e07df5b74.jpg

"Live for somethin' or die for nothin'"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom