Unattended Camps!

Wapiti

This is a topic that really gets to me, leaving unattended camps for days at a time. It appears to be a growing practice that I feel is simply wrong. People tow there trailer up on the mountain or drop their camper or even pitch a tent days before they actually plan to do any camping in that spot just so they can lay claim to it. Or they will leave their camp set up for the entire week until they come back up the next weekend. This really burns by butt.

I hunted down on Beaver mountain during the first weekend of the archery hunt and had a hard time finding a camping place because of all the unattended camps. When we left on Monday afternoon there were at least 15 camps with trailers left behind.

We seen the same thing on the Manti between Cleveland Res and Joes Valley Res. People leaving unattended camps set up for the whole week. I also saw this during the rifle elk hunt on the Wasatch unit.

I feel this practice needs to stop. I would like to see the laws changed to not allow such a practice. Who do these people think they are.

Now, I'm sure there are many on this forum that do exactly what I'm talking about and to those people I say your inconsiderate of others and totally selfish.

Anyone else have problem with is growing practice?

I don't have a problem with it. It just means free camping stuff to me! }>

"Life's tough... It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

Was right there with ya Wapiti. I was on the Beaver opening weekend too and I think it's BS.

Piper, how's your period?

Zigga, don't forget the knee pads!

Hdude, Lil' Jimmy wants his share!

The law for most areas in Utah is 16 days...attended or not.

It is enforced.

If it's gonna stop I would guess the law would have to change.

The law is actually 14 days in one spot period, only 36 hours of which can be unattended. After that the camp is supposed to move at least 10 miles.

This practice BURNS me as well. I was hunting deer on the Dutton and went down the Sunday before the hunt started to find all but one camp on the north end of the mountain was full of trailers. At the time I pulled in 2-3 elk hunters were occupying their camps, all others were empty. When the ML drew nearer a couple of them became occupied but I am convinced most were saving camps for the spike hunt.

It really doesn't matter which canyon you try to camp in this problem is a plague. All we can do as hunters is take dated pictures of camps and license plates and send them to the forest service. Eventually they get out and start documenting things themselves.

?Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use!?

>The law is actually 14 days
>in one spot period, only
>36 hours of which can
>be unattended. After that
>the camp is supposed to
>move at least 10 miles.
>
>

In the Strawberry area they check camps regularly...daily during busy times. The officer I talked with said it's a 16 day limit and then you gotta move x-number of miles (can't remember)...also said unattended days count no differently than any other day. Who knows??

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-09 AT 04:08PM (MST)[p]I have no problem with it as long as they are following the law as far as it is being enforced.

Sorry if it bugs the rest of you.

How do you know they were unattended?

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I personally saw the same thing on the Dutton. I thought oh well, no big deal. I figured I go try and share a camp spot with someone. Uhhhhhhhhh yeah right! I must say. You Utah people are some of the most unfriendly, unsharing people around! The problem wouldn't be so bad if you guys would learn to share. Heck a couple of blondes and a red head stopped by the night before the opener and asked if I knew of any spots available. I quickly pointed to the spot 15 ft next to my tent. Seems the men of that camp were unsharing little bastages as well!

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

silly liberals, paychecks are for workers!

"I must say. You Utah people are some of the most unfriendly, unsharing people"

Perhaps you should stay in NM stinkster! If I was bess or slammy I would be offended. Got your hunt over with now the gloves come off.... Not cool.

SC

I admit it, I am guilty!!! I scouted the Monday before our hunt and didn't want to drag an extra 350-400 miles. So, I
left it there until that coming Friday (3 days).

Sounds as if somebody is bent out of shape because somebody else mighta been camped in their favorite camp spot?
I agree,there are too many permits on LE units so there are quite a few camps,but most of these guys ain't gonna drag their camps/trailers just to bring them back the following weekend & set them back up.
Utah ain't that crowded yet & I'm yet to see a unit that was clear out of camping spots.
We do have a lot of Tards in this state,sad but true.

we are YoungCountry, we like all kinds
of music and people, 'cause we do draw some lines'
no our hair is not orange,we don't wear chains and spikes
but we know how to have fun come Saturday night

i agree. saw that yesterday went skeet shooting for a little practice and there were a ton of unattended tent trailers all over the mountain

[a href="http://www.mybinocularharness.com/"]binocular harness strap[/a]

Its not just Utah ,here in Calif the seasons run a month & a half.Jerks park thaire trailers two weeks before the season & leave them till the end!The great spots are taken before a working man has a chance.The NF Rangers do nothing about it.

I would be affraid of the camp robbers more than anything and im not talking about the birds. I could picture somebody who was pissed about "their" spot being taken and vandalizing trailors or taking stuff... But i dont agree with leaving them there so nobody else can get it.

Sounds more like a problem with the forest service not enforcing regs. If they two weeks, they get two weeks--whether they are their with the camp or not. If they go over two weeks, They should be cited. None of us like having the spots taken when we want one, but it is public land.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom