Unit 061 Muley

R

renoser

I have my first Nevada tag for a mule deer. Looking to go to 061 to find that big buck. Went out to scout over the 3 day weekend and only spotted does. Elk hunters also reported not seeing anything. Temp was in the 80s, so I am assuming that they were at much higher altitudes. Any help on best places to find the big buck would be appreciated.

Area 6 is a tough hunt if you have the early rifle tag. Lots of cow elk hunters to wade through. Try and find a place where you can be to yourself which might not be easy

I just hunted elk in unit 61 for over 14 days. I scouted it since july 4th weekend. I love hunting muleys, but I would never hunt 61 for deer. I saw quite a few does with fawns, but every buck I saw was a forked horn. I did see 2 deer that were 3 pointers but the forkys were the same size. Nothing worth looking at twice. I saw maybe 12 bucks. I heard that some bucks move in there very late, probably after the seasons and I am sure not many. Sorry for the dismal report.

I have all of area 06 above i-80. Should I head to a different area like 062? If so, where?

Look farther west. You will be farther away from the elk hunters. We were there last year and I never thought nevada could get crowded but it did!

I drew late 6 I have also heard that the elk hunters in 061 haven't been seeing deer. I am gonna try looking into the 067 unit. I know where they are in 068 have allot of friends tell me also seen a 25" 4x4 just north of here on Monday while at work. They are there just need to find them.

We just came back home from 061 elk hunt my dad has a muzzleloader bull tag . We passed up a 5x5 the second day of the season , and hunted around merit mountain and east side of it . saw about 20 bulls and 10 cows , only one bull was a 6pt and we couldn't get on it .
The rest were mostly rag horn bulls 3 , 4 , 5pts . We are going back would 071 by copper mountain be a better choice ? It didn't seem like they were really rutting and usually you see more cows than bulls , im not sure what to make of it ? Maybe passing on the 5x5 was a bad decision .
If you got any ideas of where to look or what we could do to find a nice 6pt bull please let me know .
As for the deer we saw a few does and one fork horn buck with one side missing , I would head west over by Pennsylvania hill if your tag allows you to hunt that area , we hunted there once for deer and it seemed way better , my dad got a nice buck there 9 years ago seemed like more deer over there .
Thanks , Tom

Drove down from Idaho to help a partner of mine from Susanville who has a deer tag. We scouted for a couple of days prior to the opener, saw one fork/spike and a small 4x4. Hunted through Tuesday. Passed on a few forks and a 3x3. Was hard to believe country that good was not loaded with deer. Saw a cow just out of Owyhee, but that was it for elk. Lots of dogs and sage hen, a badger, a few chukar and a covey of mountain quail. He and another of our partners will be headed back for the final week. Most hunters seemed to be sticking to the roads as we did not cross many tracks on our hunts but the roads below looked like fricken freeways! Also had a fixed wing flying low, guessing it was NDW. Another partner sent us a pic while we were there of a smoking 5a(prk) buck taken on one of our friends ranches. The buck was a 5x5, just over 30" with 5" bases. Biggest buck I've seen taken out of the flats.
Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom