unit 15 3rd week hunt

G

gakyhunter

I got a unit 15 tag for the 3rd week. This was my 1st choice because of what my buddies told me who have been for the last 5 years. Some of what I've read on here has got me worried about the unit a little bit. I've never been there before, what do you all think i can expect. I know to be in great shape and have good boots. Thanks for any input

Lots of bugling on that hunt. Small to med bulls are easy to call in during last hunt.. This unit is HIGHLY overated for quality. Its not a hard hunt imo. Most of the unit holds some elk. You may get lucky and get one of the few big monsters still left in the unit. Compared to most units in any state, it is a great hunt. Just not close to what it was 15 years ago. Centerfire bog area is a great area. There are some 300 plus class bulls in there.

I guided this unit and have hunted it before. Elk will be located from the lower grasslands, to the cedars and up to the higher pine forest. A few spots to check would be fox mountain in the western part of the unit or Slaughter Mesa towards the Eastern part of the unit. Seems like I've seen larger bulls in the flat pinon and juniper forests more so then the higher elevations. Good luck!

ROFDL! Fox Mountain!???!? Really? Steer clear of there. I beat it to death last year and it sucked. Yeah there were a few good bulls but every single one was being chased by a pack of wolves. They released a new pack called the fox mountain pack that is 52 strong. Or at least was, now it only has 51 left thanks to Jerry. Way to go Jerry. Anyhow, the bugling was good but the wolves were on the buglers as fast as I could get to them. The hunting tactics you will use will have to totally change to accomodate wolves if you go that direction. Don't ask me what those tactics will be since that was my first go around with wolves. And yes, those freakin savages were still chasing the elk around at high noon. They are relentless and are definitely going to ruin that herd. try toriett lake. It usually has a large concentration of elk.

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still not sure what to think about the unit. I've seen a lot of negative about the unit online, but I have also seen the two bulls over 300 they have brought back in the last three years.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-09 AT 08:08PM (MST)[p]Do not let anyone tell you that 15 is a bad unit. It is a great unit with trophy potential. Work hard and you will not be disappointed. My dad and his crew went 3 for 3 last year during the muzzleloader season all scoring right at 300-310. It is a great unit and you drew what I would consider to be the perfect time. We hunted archery third hunt a few years ago, which was my first ever archery hunt and it was incredible even though we came home empty handed. We were in big bulls every day. They are there just hunt for them, and yes fox mountain does have some bulls. Centerfire bog and freeman mountain are also good places, and I have heard good about torrieta??? lakes.

Thanks for the reply. I watched some video my buddies took last year and if I see half of what they had on video I will be pleased. I mean some 350plus bulls along with several around 300. I can't wait

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom