unit 21 2nd season

S

sgscottieg1

I am thinking about the second season in 2010 in unit 21 did anyone do good during the second season??or should I wait for the 3rd season?? I have 6pp..I am wil willing to swap info I have hunted alot in units 7 49 and 55 thanks

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-09 AT 04:49PM (MST)[p]Scoll down and I did a post on 2nd season unit 21. Should still be on this page. 6 PP's will get a resident tag but not a non res.

More than likley you will draw 21 2nd season in 2011 based upon the current data. However, based upon the current data with point creep you should draw the 3rd season sometime between 2043-2048. I think you will probably want to draw 2nd season.

What quality of bucks are respectible shooters in that unit?? during the second season??on average how many bucks do you see in a day?/

I am in the same boat with 9 points that I have been saving for unit 21 3rd season for 9 years. The dow say it takes 10 when I have 9 , next year I will have 10 they say it takes 11. I am getting sick of the game and am thinking of going for 2nd season in 21. Just so I can hunt the average areas with my son from now on and not do the points thing anymore. What can you guys tell me about 2nd season and what to espect. Pm if ya want thanks

Oldmossback I would put in for the 3rd season if I was you.

3rd season is the way to go if you can draw the tag.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com

I know but I am so sick of playing the DOW's game of always being 1 point off. I apply every year and then dont draw when I have the same amount of points that they say it takes. Then by that time it is to late to get a tag for the unit my son draws. My son is 13 and has never seen his dad kill a buck. I have guided him for 2 years now and that is fun in itself but he says "Dad I want you to get a big one again" I will never play the points game again. Just learn a decent area that I can hunt every year or every other.

You would be crazy to burn all those points on a 2nd season tag the 3rd season is that much better IMO.

There good bucks in 2nd season of course just 3rd is better.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com

Oldmossy,

I'm in the same boat as you. With 10 non-ressy points, I'm looking at a minimum of a 19 year wait for the 3rd season. I'm thinking I'll try for the 2nd season and hope that 10 points will be enough.

I have 10 points DOW says it takes 10. I get my unsucessful letter in the mail and call them to say what the heck and they say it took 11 points. the next year, I have 11 points and they say it took 12. I understand points creep but come on!

Oldmossback--I drew with 11, but i ran into two other hunters who drew with 10 last year. Put in for it again man for third season as first choice and then second season as your second choice--you'll be hunting it either way and will have an absolute blast and kill a nice buck!

bldrbuck. That wont work because there will not be any 2nd season tags left after the 1st go around. The past few years I have put in for 21-3rd with 9 and 10 points and put unit 22 3rd as my 2nd choice so I could hunt with my son. 22 takes almost no points. I have not drew either. In order to draw your 2nd choice there must be tags for that unit left after all the people who put it as their 1st choice have drawn. Thats just the way it works.

Yeah, I started to think about it after I wrote it. I'd still hold out for 21 3rd if I were you. It's worth it.

Here are the stats from the 2008 season (from the Colorado Outdoors Big Game CD):

DM02102R (2nd season) 226 tags available

147 residents drew the tag
61 res applicants out of 126 drew with three points (48.4%)
86 residents drew with four or more points

79 non-residents drew the tag
32 non-res applicants out of 106 drew with seven points (30.2%)
47 drew with eight or more points

DM02103R (3rd season) 51 tags available

41 residents drew the tag
12 res applicants out of 39 drew with nine points (30.8%)
29 res applicants drew with ten or more points

10 non-residents drew the tag
5 non-res applicants out of 33 drew with 13 points
5 non-res applicants drew with 14 or more points (15.2%)

2007 season
2nd season
Residents: 3/4 points to draw
Non-res: 7/8 points to draw
3rd season
Residents: 8/9 points to draw
Non-res: 12/13 points to draw

2006 season
2nd season
Residents: 2/3 points to draw
Non-res: 6/7 points to draw
3rd season
Residents: 8/9 points to draw
Non-res: 12/13 points to draw

My neighbor hunted with his buddy 2nd season ,he got a heavey horned 27 inch and his buddy got a nice 29 inch.I have 12 non res points and will be going second season next year.Tired of the point creep.
CBH

I agree about the point crap we are all frustrated about it,but it sounds like to me that if you have 12 pp I would wait a year or to more and draw the third season

As a non-res, you won't draw it for years to come (third season). I've heard from many guys who have hunted the second season and guys in who live in the area that second season is great too! I'll be back there in 5 years for a second season hunt (hopefully)!

After last year's draw, there were 59 people that had 13+ points. There are only 9 non-ressy tags available in the 3rd season. It will take more than a few years for a guy to draw with 12 points (min of 6 years)!

Gotta love point creep!

I just came back from 2nd season 21 deer. Why would you wait for 15 points to go ? Yea , I'll admit the 3rd season is better , but if your willing to hunt hard and stay the whole season , you can make the 2nd work for you.

Weather is a factor and it can be hot and dry 2nd season , but that only means you have to be out early and stay later. If you get some cloudy cool weather the deer will move all day.

There are alot of elk hunters 2nd season , but I didn't see it as a problem. We saw 100's of deer each day

Here's what it all boils down too ; If you want a quality hunt with alot of bucks and a chance or two at a trophy , then the 2nd season will work for you. You may not get a 200 incher , but you will have a good time and see alot of deer.

3rd season hunters will likey have more chances at bigger deer , but that is if you don't die first accumulatiing points to go.

Its a good hunt , but I'm not starting over with the points thing again. It just takes to long... BUT , if I had 8 or 10 points , I'd be right back up there next year 2nd season.

Longshot,. I am 1 year away from drawing 3rd season with 10 res. points. should i wait or should I go 2nd season. I dont care about what the buck scores My goal is 30"

>Longshot,. I am 1 year away
>from drawing 3rd season with
>10 res. points. should i
>wait or should I go
>2nd season. I dont care
>about what the buck scores
>My goal is 30"

Mossback... In your situation being only another year away from 3rd season , I'd wait for the 3rd. I have to tell you though , with your goal of 30 inches, it will take some luck. I only saw one buck that would make that. Most bucks in the unit are more the tall heavy horned type. 24 to 28 inch bucks are common in 21.
You won't find alot of extra wide bucks , but you will see alot of mid 20's with nice forks and heavy black horns. I was told before I went that alot of bucks there had small crabby front forks. I did not find this to be true. We saw lots of bucks with good forks , but the wides ones were rare.

For other people with less points , there is no way I would wait that long to go again. For you people , draw 2nd season , go and hunt hard and enjoy. You'll find success if you hunt hard in the 2nd season.

I shot this buck in a rushed situation without having a chance to really look him over good before the shot. I actually thought he was bigger and heavier before I took him. I have no regret about shooting him and I'm happy with him , BUT I saw at least 20 others the same size and I saw two others that were MUCH bigger but did'nt allow a shot.

This is my 2nd season buck.
001-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

> Thats still a nice buck.
>What ever happened with the
>warden situation?. Which was ridiculous
>in my opinion

Mossback.. The game warden deal involves my hunting partner and I am waiting on his permission . Its still to come . lol

Last season was a good one, but is anybody mentioning the season before that? 2 of my buddies had the tag this season and confirmed what has been posted here, that there were a lot of good Bucks. 2 other buddies had 2008 2nd season and that was a whole different story as not many Bucks at all were around, let alone good ones. It's a crapshoot that time of year plain and simple but 3rd season is a different story. Usually some weather by then to move them around, it's not always that way 2nd season.

Mossback I agree with Longshot. You are that close then go with 3rd. Even in 3rd season some of the bucks I saw weren't really into the rut so much that they were out during the day. The buck that gave me buck fever was easily over 30 inches, not very tall. He was bedded down all day, and when my father dogged him out he didn't get up until my father was within 20 yards! I wished he was in the rut as a couple bucks acted like they were, but he wasn't.

So I will guarantee you will have a much better chance at the kind of buck you want in 3rd. Just driving around you will see a lot of decent bucks that other hunters just drive by also. You have to either scout before hand or know of a couple places that hunters are not in as much to have a chance at a larger buck. Sounds obvious but there are a lot or roads.

Mossback , I'm happy to share any info. I'm not going back anyway. lol.. The only thing is , unit 21 is largely a migration unit and conditions will dictate deer densitys. In our situation , it had been hot and dry before we arrived and water was a key ingrediant in finding deer. Mostly ponds and some creeks that still had water. Find the water and deer were in the area. There were some regions that held very few deer and I attribute that to lack of water when we were there. I would assume that a wet year would scatter deer much more. My worse day was probably 75 deer and the best was well over 200 sighted a day.

There are resident deer in the Rangley town area that I don't think ever leave that area. The high country deer tend to move lower as fall progresses.

I could be very specific as to areas , but that info might be useless to you in your season if conditions are differant.

I will say this , if you have a couple of days to scout , you'll have no problem finding where deer are and where they are not in the area.

Just like on any other hunt , we talked to some hunters that were having a tough time finding deer , but you know how some hunters seem to NOT look in the right places. The buck to doe ratio is supposed to be something like 30 bucks per 100 does. That seems a little high to me. I'd think its more like 15 - 20 per 100 does. Perhaps their numbers include button bucks.

If you draw a tag , I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Thanks longshot. I have been studying it for about 5 years, just never actually been there. I know it is pointless to scout early on since it is a migration unit. I think I will go scout for a nice spot to camp if I ever actually draw.

I have enough pp to draw next year,have any of you guies ever see any elk in that unit or is it primarley a deer unit

If it were me, I'd forget about the elk. Why wait all that time to draw the tag, and perhaps, lose a few days taking care of an elk? (that's just my 2 cents).

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-09 AT 09:14AM (MST)[p]I agree with Dwalton. Unless you tell yourself you are only going after the elk when your buck is already down. I try to focus on one species per year. Alternate years usually. But honestly I would like a big wide buck over an elk anyday

Cool thanks guies,I am really looking forward hunting unit 21,Ive never hunted that unit before,but have been in that area working do you guies have any areas in that unit that are better than others,feel free to send me a pm if you like I have info for other units if you all are interested

Me and a hunting buddy are seriously considering burning our 9 NR points on this hunt also. It looks like we should get drawn with 9...don't you agree?

Any insight that some of you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!

I havent hunted this unit yet,but from the way it sounds like to me I would wait for the third season,sounds like there are a better quality of buck and they seem to be much larger.With 9 points you are very close to a hunt of a life time with the 3rd season....

scottie,

Refer to the stats above: with only 9 points as a NR, you are still a VERY LONG wait for a 3rd season tag in 21. With 12 NR points it's 6 years before you're in the money. With my 10 NP points, I'm looking at a minimum 19 year wait for the 3rd season.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-10 AT 09:37AM (MST)[p]I doubt I'll wait until I can do the 3rd season hunt. I've already got 17 points for elk and it's a been a pretty boring wait. If I don't start burning someo of these points I might not live long enough to enjoy them. :-(

Also, since the regs aren't posted yet with the offical dates...would someone have a fairly educated "guess" as to when the 2nd season actually takes place this year? I hear it could be later due to the calendar rollover, but I really don't know.

Thanx again!

According to the draw odds from last year, someone burned 13pts to hunt 21 2nd season. Don't know the circumstances, but I sure would have waited for 3rd season at that point.
I'm hoping the 100% for 8pts NR holds true this season, looking forward to finally drawing. Two of my buddies from our group scored a tag last year with 7pts NR, so hopefully the rest of us draw this year.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-10 AT 07:30PM (MST)[p]I have a feeling it may take a few more points this year being 2nd season ends the same day 3rd started last year. I also think there were people with enough points to draw that opted to wait till this year. I too saw that someone with 13 points drew last year, dont know the circumstance but might have just been tired of waiting. Even with 13 you may have a few years left. I plan on burning 11 NR points on it this year, should be more than enough but you never know. I have been waiting for 3rd for 11 years being that it took 4 or 5 when I started and looking at the number of people ahead of me I feel like it would likely take at least 5-10 more years to draw.

3rd season ended on 11/6 and 2nd is over on 10/31 next year, am I missing something.

^^^

About a week later this year. Latest second season for the next 5 years. Might not matter, but could help a lot too.

Litch I said it backwards so I edited it to read correctly. Second season ends this year the day 3rd season started last year. While we are correcting each other 2nd season ends on 10/31 this year not next. Hopefully well both be there!

Sounds like a whole bunch of us from this thread are going to be there. Who's bringing the beer? ;-)

Should be a fun hunt. I think you will draw with 9 points, but I dont know if everyone with 8 will. It all depends on how many people like us that had enough points to draw last year waited till now. looking at last years numbers there should be 65 people with 8 points this year. So they would all draw unless there are more than 15 of us with 9 or more that put in. I dont think anyone with 7 will draw this year though.

How does it work with a party app? Do they put both of you in and if either gets drawn then you're both in? Or is it one party app for the both of us?

TX!

>Sounds like a whole bunch of
>us from this thread are
>going to be there. Who's
>bringing the beer? ;-)
>

Yea, we can have a monstermuleys camp.

On a group app either both or neither get drawn. Hopefully both have same points if not the group has points equal to the person in group with the least points. When applying as a group you have a group leader and use this persons CID number to apply all applicants. The group is assigned a number and if this number is drawn all members in group are drawn.

buckmastr28, Yep I messed my post up too. I'm hoping the 8pts is enough, been waiting a long time to hunt 21 again. Once the points are gone we are going with with easier to draw GMUs, sucks to not be able to plan on every year like the old days.

I know what you mean I have been waiting 3 years longer. If truth be told I was actually waiting for 3rd, but with this years dates and not knowing how long it would take for 3rd I feel it is time. I wont wait again either, will probably look at units that take little or no points to draw after this. I think 8 points will give a good chance at drawing, we'll have to wait and see.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom