Unit 21 2nd season

Moosey69

My Grandpa, Dad and uncle used to hunt 21 in the 80's and 90's before it went to draw and I was able to make one trip in the early 90's before my Grandpa passed away. We started going 22 3rd season when it went draw because we knew the area and could hunt it every other year in the early to mid 2000's. Then with the reduction of tags and word of decent bucks being killed the point creep started. We were hoping to draw one last time last year with the late season dates and then find another unit that we could hunt ever other year as we didn't feel 22 was worth 6-7 years worth of points. Well we didn't draw last year and decided since we accumulated more points than we ever planned that maybe my brother and I should do one last 21 trip with my dad who won't ever have the points to draw again and hasn't hunted there in about 25 years. So looks like we drew 2nd season and I'm reaching out to anyone that has hunted it recently. Obviously the weather will be a big unknown factor on where the deer will be. Used to hunt Cathedral Bluffs and down on the southeast side of the unit if it wasn't snowing too hard.
If anyone needs info on 22 i'd be more than happy to help with what I know.

Anyone hunt 21 2nd recently? How was the hunt? Any tips other than "pray for snow and if warm and dry go high"?
How about the winter? I know Gunnison to the south and Wyoming to the north got hammered this winter but it looks like this part of CO just had a slightly above normal snowfall. Can anyone in the area tell me how the deer did this winter around 21?

I scouted that unit over thanksgiving and saw a few decent bucks that made it through the hunt. Probably 160 type bucks. I was scouting in Philadelphia Creek and on Big Ridge. I don't know how the winter was for that area and I am curious myself. Best of luck to you.

Trevor

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom