Unit 21 Antelope

copple2

Howdy Guys,

we picked up some Wyoming Unit 21 speed goat buck tags. The hunt runs Oct 15-31. There's some public (very little) and a couple of landowners we've contact for trespass fee areas. We will be prepared for mud/weather and have chains and atv's to help with that.

I'm wondering if anyone has any past experiences with 21, landowners to contact, or general suggestions? We have a plan already, but can always stand to learn more.

We are just hoping to fill a few tags with bucks...NOT expecting any trophies. We are just excited to get out and hunt. Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

copple2

Hunt the southeastern part in the BLM you can get to from the south boundary road and the two BLM roads that go off of it up into the unit. Also, be prepared to see lots of orange unless you skip the first week of the season.

Topgun, thanks for the heads up here. Much appreciated. We definitely won't the there for the opener, so hopefully that'll clear out some of the orange army!

Have you had some luck in 21 in the past?

copple2

>Topgun, thanks for the heads up
>here. Much appreciated. We definitely
>won't the there for the
>opener, so hopefully that'll clear
>out some of the orange
>army!
>
>Have you had some luck in
>21 in the past?
>
>copple2

Nope, I hunt a unit on the west side of the mountains, but have sent a number of people to 21 that did well.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-14 AT 02:14PM (MST)[p]>Hunt the southeastern part in the
>BLM you can get to
>from the south boundary road
>and the two BLM roads
>that go off of it
>up into the unit.
>Also, be prepared to see
>lots of orange unless you
>skip the first week of
>the season.

That sums it up nicely - about the best advise you will get right there. I never hunt 21 but I poke around in there every year for the scenery and just to kill some time since I hunt a unit close by. Couple other smaller chunks up towards the north end but you will need to walk into them, they hold antelope at times.

51% is public land. a lot of it is up higher on the west end of the unit, but I have seen Antelope up there. I have hunted it many times and never had trouble finding a buck to shoot. Don't overlook the small tracts of BLM and State land. If you don't have the GPS chip I suggest you get it. We shot one three years ago in an open pasture that was very close to the private property line, and no fences. We had a guide try to kick us off of State land until he found out we had the chip then he backed off. We don't worry about the inches as much as a lot of guys do. 12-14 inch is where most of them have been. I did see it snow 18 inches in three hours there in 1998. We have always had a blast there.

DZ

Watch out for the Tobin ranch off Tisdale Mtn road. These clowns like to harass hunters and push wildlife off public sections of land with vehicles. G&F have known about their activity for years but have yet to act.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, guys. Much appreciated. We'll probably be headed out there toward the end of October and will hope to find a few to hang a tag on. Any more info is always great.

Thanks again,

copple2

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom