Unit 21 Second Rifle.

M

mulemanrack

Any of you locals willing to share a few ranges or drainage's for Unit 21 early rifle hunt to a non resident and his 72 year young dad? Not looking for anyone"s honey holes, just some places we might be able to find a decent buck for the for my long time "hunting buddy", Thanks.

You won't have trouble finding deer. If you aren't seeing deer, you need to change elevation. I personally would start at the top (Douglas/Baxter Passes, Cathedral Bluffs) and work my way lower. Moving down, both sides of the highway can be good, and don't rule out looking along the highway itself - just be aware of private land, much of which is not marked. You'll undoubtedly hear about Texas/Rabbit Mountains, but the eastern part is good too.

You'll find deer just about everywhere, but it'll take some work to locate a big buck. Unless you're looking at a lot of deer you're limiting yourself - I'd stay on the move and only walk enough to glass the few places you can't see from a road.

I hunted 2nd season in 2009 and found most deer in the Texas mountain area and just north of it. Look for county road 109 , 116 and 23. We saw numerous deer , but finding a big one is harder.

Look around Rabbit Mtn. Just be sure to have chains for all 4 tires. A little moisture turns the roads into sloppy gumbo.

By the way, my Dad was 72 when we hunted there in 2009 and he got a nice buck, so it's a good place for older folks to hunt.

We had a great hunt there in 2009 ( except for one dealing with the Warden- whole nuther story) and I cannot tell you how i9mportant it is to take full advantage of this opportunity with your Dad and enjoy it to the MAX.

My father and I had a great time in 09 , got our bucks and loved the trip.... In spring of 2011 , my Dad got Cancer and although he is still alive today , he will never hunt out west again. That 2009 unit 21 trip was his last to Colorado. His first deer hunt there was in 1954. It was the end of an Era for him and very nostalgic for both him and me.

I wish you well in your hunt and if I can help , let me know.

Hey Scotty,
I wouldn't waste too much time over by Rabbit Mt. Our experience was that the bucks don't generally get over there until the rut starts. I wish I had more info for you but I know you will have fun. Are you taking your ponies?

Hey Guys, thanks for all your helpful information....I really, really appreciate it. Rick, aka LBH, I will be hitting you up for a little more info. personally. As successful as you've been the last few years from caribou, sheep, speed goats, elk, and a monster buck from unit 21 last year....your knowledge and expertise is what I'm looking for. As for the "ponies", I got out of the mule's a few years ago. Now its wheelers and by foot.
Thanks for all the PM's, I will be giving you guys a call.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom