Unit 21 Success

aaronjo2324

This whole story begins with me not being able to draw Unit 21's rifle hunt. That left me no choice but to buy a left over tag. I opted to try to hunt for the first time with a muzzleloader. My grandpa let me use his Thompson Center Encore. I had NEVER shot a muzzleloader before and to top it off, I was left with the task of sighting in the new Nikon Omega scope that he put on it. After 2 hours on the range, the use of a chronograph from a very nice gentleman at the range, and another couple hours making myself a ballistics table, I was ready to go hunting. I was able to shoot at any distance from 50-300 yards with confidence.

A couple weekends before the hunt my girlfriend and I went to go scouting. It was a very successful trip, we saw 13 deer, 3 were bucks, and 10 javelina. In fact with one of the deer, we walked up a mere 10 yards from him and he never knew we were there. I had just looked up, and all of a sudden i just saw a deer butt. And this is WIDE open terrain on the top of a mountain. I told my girlfriends to duck down and we watched him for about 20 minutes. This is the closest I've been to a deer besides the deer out in Silver City. haha.

Well the season finally came around and we arrived a day before the season started. This place was FULL of hunters. After my scouting trip, I was wanting to hold off for a big buck, but after seeing how many hunters were in this area, I knew I wouldnt be able to be picky. It was either get the first buck that presented an opportunity. Well opening day rolls around and we were off hiking onto a huge mountain. We didnt expect ANY hunters to be in that area, but sure enough, about twenty minutes into the walk, we see two hunters glassing about 100 yards from us. I dont think they saw us at first. Well we knew we had to walk a bit faster than them to be able to get on the mountain we wanted. As we're walking up the second mountain, about halfway way up, some bedded deer stand up and there was this forkie in the group. After about a 100 yard shot, my season was over. The hunters that were near us were able to watch this from about 300 yards away...I dont even know if they knew we were there before that.

Unit 21 is definitely a tough hunt with all the hunting pressure that it receives, I believe it could be much better unit if the game and fish stopped giving out so many licenses. From the top of the mountain we could see hunters east, west, and north of us. It was insane. I guess the trick to this unit is just to walk....and walk....and walk some more. Then just when you think you've walked far enough....go further. That was the success that I had on my scouting trip and what I planned on doing for my hunt, we just happened to get the deer before we could walk further.

8494kalsdfjsadlkjf.jpg

9812p9060564.jpg

5560p9060565.jpg

6087p9060566.jpg

Congrats on your kill...Unit 21 used to be one of my favorites, especially that area that you killed yours in. Seems like about 5 years ago that place just got real popular. Hunters everywhere. You were wise on your decision to harvest the first FAD you saw, should taste good!

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

It seems like every bit of 21 has become packed. I have hunted just about every part of the unit. From the northern part near Winston and Chloride, to the Lake Valley area, Corralitos Ranch, Las Uvas, and Goodsight Mountains. And EVERY area is packed. Two years ago during the hunt I saw 62 does and ZERO bucks during 4 days of hunting. That year I started in Winston and Chloride, then hunted Corralitos, then the Kingston area. That was sad to see.

I just feel lucky to have harvested a deer the past two years from the unit. I've talked to guys who didnt even see a deer during the entire hunt.

Glad to see you tagged out and put some meat in the freezer. I got the January bowhunt done that way and am getting excited. I hunted down there this past January and tagged out on a little forky like yours but we were into bucks everyday and some good ones too. Congrats again on your success

Looks like a lot of fun. 21 is hit very hard. I took my largest buck to date, a 12 point, 3 years ago in 21 very close to where you are at, but i hunted the second hunt and used my maps to find the most remote area I could, as far from the roads and other hunters, and an area I knew they would push the deer to. I ended up passing up 3 little bucks before I found my buck. Only took a day and half to pack his ass out, I was so far in. Congrats !!!

Right on man! Good to see someone found one to smoke in 21. I know the unit extremely well. UngulateFoe and I have trekked all over the unit and have seen some nice bucks, but they are few and far between. It's a hard and challenging hunt...but there are some areas that still hold nice bucks...it just takes a day to get back to them.

Congrats again and way to get it done.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom