Unit 22 Deer Late

B

BlastNCast

I am doing research for this hunt and someone told me that the deer in this unit tend to hit peak rut sooner than most think. I would think the peak of the rut would be around Thanksgiving but they are saying it happens first-second week of November. (I am waiting for a call back from the Biologist in this unit to get her thoughts)

What are your thoughts on this?

I was also told to spend all my time in snake river canyon (Brownlee to Oxbo).I have been scouting and the area from Cambridge to Brownlee looks like prime deer habitat for the rut but more dependent on weather.

Thoughts on this?

How weather dependent is this hunt?

Any other ideas, locations, or thoughts on this hunt would be appreciated and explored.

Thanks

I hunted 31 last year on the late tag, 31 is just south. I would see 10-15 does and no buck with them all the way through November. The bucks I saw rutting were active from the 15th on. I saw one nice buck and I took him. I do have to admit I didn't hit it as hard as I should have.

DZ

DZ- What was the Weather like? Did you have any good early snow? Do feel like the bucks just didn't get the weather to push them into the rut hard, out of the trees or do you feel the unit lacked bucks?

Thanks for your response

We had snow a couple times but South slopes were melted off. I do think the buck numbers are way down. Each of the three days I hunted I saw 100-150 deer. Three bucks was the most bucks seen in a day. I only saw one mature buck. I had hopes of seeing lots. Good luck on your hunt and let us know how it turns out.

DZ

I would start hunting opening day. The bucks will not be far from the does then.
You have a great tag hold out for a big one.

yes, hold out for the big one, I hunt 22 regularly and seen two monster's on a 4 day cow elk hunt with my wife, 1 in the 190" range - huge typical, and another in the 175" range about a mile from the other, but we were after elk, these just happened too be where we were looking, couldn't imagine actually drawing the tag and looking for a big one, good luck,
Matt

Wack'em and Stack'em

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-14 AT 03:42PM (MST)[p]what duckoslayer said... i also cow hunted end of october and saw several 150-160's and what had too be a 200"+ about fainted!

Thanks guys for your comments. I am hoping it will be a great hunt. I never have heard from the biologist in that unit regarding the comments regarding the rut starting early. I did however speak with the conservation officer and he was able to give me some great info.

The best info he gave me was: "you will kill those big bucks where you find them! If you don't shoot them when you find them don't expect to find them again." There is a lot of truth in this!

So here is my next question: The hunt goes from the Nov 1-24. I wish I could hunt all 24 days but we all know that is not going to happen. I might however be able to hunt 10 days in a row or 2 weeks spread out. My question to those that have hunted it and spent time in the unit. Do you hunt 10 days towards the end of the hunt or do you hunt 1 week at the first and 1 week at the end?

Thanks again

if it was my tag I would hunt the first week and again around the 12th for a few days they will be active during that time esp if cold weather comes in in the later part of oct put as much time in as possible if u want a big buck and don't settle for anything ur not going to be happy with u might not ever draw again

if I had the tag I would hunt the first 10 days of the season, that way if you get a chance on a weekend later in the hunt you can run up, I see the bucks with doe's in late Oct., so i'm sure you would be better off the first week of the season,
Matt
Wack'em and Stack'em

I believe the biologist must have been reading on the MM forum or her ears were burning because I no more than hit post and I got a call from her. Great conversation and I felt she was a ton of help especially on the overall outlook of the deer herd and how they move according to weather.

Thanks for all your input. I really like the idea of hunting the first 10days and assessing the situation after that. It sounds like access might get a little difficult later in the month if weather hits.

So that leaves me with another question. If weather does hit what is the best way to access the west side of the unit? Do you even try or do you glass across the river and take a boat if you find something good to go after? Has any of you been on the Hornet Creek Rd in the snow and how is it to access that side of the unit?

Thanks again

You are in for a good hunt, my dad also drew this tag. I hunt elk quite a bit over there. PM me if you want to chat

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom