Unit 24 Cookes Peak

BuckRage

Anyone have experience or heard anything about that area for mule deer? Looks like a good area but any info you can share would be great and appreciated. Thanks.

I harvested a small fork horn from the smaller hills southeast of the big mountain range a couple years back. Lots of deer in them, but it usually has a lot of hunting pressure. Never hunted the big mountain, the northern end of it is mainly private though. Like any place in that part of the state, you'll need to find a good watering place for the deer and they'll stay pretty close to it.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-12 AT 10:04AM (MST)[p]What have you heard about the big mountain? Population, quality, access, etc. I have heard it doesn't get to much pressure because most people are in easier accessible areas or further north in the Gila. I have a gps that shows private & public so not concerned there. I went last weekend and only saw a few pronghorn but no mulies but I didn't scout as good as I would have liked. I didn't realize it was ML opener and I didn't want to mess up anyones hunt so I only scouted lightly and not as far up as I would have liked.

I dont think the mountain has too good of access. If i'm not mistaken, i think you have to pass through one of the Hyatt's locked gates to get relatively close to the mountain off of County Road A019....not too sure though. I think a lot of the deer stay north of the big mountain on private land...a lot of deer usually come out of the Eby Ranch and Harvey Nunn Ranch.

I know people who have hunted northeast side of the big mountain though and they liked hunting where there are a lot of the oak trees.

When i went hunting there i didnt get to go out til the second day, we saw 6 hunters and 4 had deer. They all came from the area south of Ft. Cummings. None of the deer were real big, biggest one had a spread of maybe 18 inches.

BuckRage,

I had that unit last year. It was my first ever mule deer hunt. Like you, I thought Cooke's would be a good bet, and I did some digging around for old reports or thread posts. There isn't much, but here's a good one I saved.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1791396/1

Ultimately, I decided I was wasn't ready for a backpack hunt up a mountain for my first go around, and spent a few days hunting the lower country surrounding. Saw some forkies, but in the end ate tag soup. I heard a shot or two from up high on the mountain during the time I spent down below.

You might want to give a call to the BLM Las Cruces office. I know they have been planning some RX fires on Cooke's. Might be worth checking to see if they got any done this year.

Here's a good map for the land ownership and wilderness boundaries:
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media..._maps.Par.10974.File.dat/Cookes Range WSA.pdf

good luck.

Thanks guys. That info is really appreciated. Salsola, was that link for Cookes area? I didn't read anywhere that said where he was hunting. The roads were pretty good conditions and I got almost all the way up in a little vehicle. I didn't take my truck trying to save on gas....not smart. Your right about info being hard to come across for unit 24. It's my first year but I've done lots of research...mostly talking to people and going out to the unit. If you all need some more info on it I'll be glad to share it with you.

p.s. i tried to get to the range from the northern end. I got real close but stopped by locked private gates each time...even on State land. I am going to call someone that said he knows how to get to it from that side. I figure it will be a great area with everyone pushing in from the south end and running them all to that side.

what are everyones thoughts on the area in the Gila over this area? Better? I've been up there but it's so thick it's nearly impossible to glass...at least where I was at (4 areas).

Thanks again salsola.

If anyone else needs info on unit 24 I have some info I can share with you. It's been the most difficult unit I've ever had to research. Most of my info has come from going to the unit, talking to locals, GW's from all over the state, topo maps, satellite images and some good people on here.

If anyone else has some info on this particular area I could still use it! Thanks.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom