Unit 27 Late Seasion Hunt.

SonofMike

Well another pick has been made on my part and with high hopes am anxiously awaiting the draw results. However this year i am trying something different. My father and I put in for are second choice the unlimited late hunt in unit 27. According to the Idaho Fish and Game web site this unit had a 60% Success rate in 2010 with 3 point or larger deer required for harvest. Has anyone hear on MM hunted this unit/Hunt in the past and if so what was your hunt like? I hunted Elk hear back in 2000 with success and know the area a little. Thanks to all and I look forward in hearing back from some of you

I've flown in a few times and hunted deer. I usually see lots of deer and mostly small bucks. I wouldn't pass up a 150 buck.

I have hunted 27 a couple of times. I have been up to "sleeping deer" at the end of the Morgan creek road near "liberty lake" and saw a few deer, nothing big. Prior to reaching the end of the road you drive through a huge burn area....looks like hell. I suspect there might be more deer around the burn by now since enough time has passed for re-growth. Also hunted at the bottom of the unit at the end of "Silver canyon" road where it meets Camas creek. It's a bit of a wade across the camas creek but worth it....lot's of deer! Just bring a small towel to dry off your feet. Good luck!
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

Paul, thanks for the pointer! when u have a min I would like to pick your brain on what you had to say. I am planning some scouting trips and would like to have my ducks Ina row before I start. Let me know thanks.

OK- Looking at flying into one of the many airstrips toward the end of the hunt for 5 days. From what i have been told this is the only way to hunt this unit that time of year! Any one hear on MM done this type of deer hunting? If so what are your recomendations?

I have flown in a few times. We always used McCall air taxi. But my buddies always fly out of Challis. I have only been to two strips. Indian Creek and Thomas Creek. Indian Creek has a lot of timber. We always spiked out up on Big Baldy. This is my dad's favorite strip. He's killed some nice bucks in here but I don't like hunting all the timber. Thomas Creek is really open and we always see ton's of deer in there. But not much over 150. I would NOT pass a 150 buck up. We always camp in the timber behind the lookout. My buddies that fly out of Challis always fly into Loon Creek. They usually kill 150 or smaller bucks in there. They said there is a lot of people that fly into Loon creek compared to Indian or even Thomas Creek. But they have pics every year of a couple dead 180 bucks on the landing strip that other guys have killed. Where I have never seen anything over 165 at Thomas Creek. And only a couple over 170 at Indian creek.

One thing I know is that any strip you fly into it will be straight up and down. So be in good shape.

Thanks for the tips. What kind of weather do I need to be prepared for on this hunt? Everything from rain, sun, snow and everything in between? I sure do apprechate all the help and pointers.

Wicked steep country. Your physical condition will determine your success, bring wool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Thanks for the tips. What kind
>of weather do I need
>to be prepared for on
>this hunt? Everything from rain,
>sun, snow and everything in
>between? I sure do apprechate
>all the help and pointers.
>

I've been in there and seen anywhere from 70 degrees to -20 degrees. I've seen it rain, hail, and snow in the same day.

We fly in to Bernard Creek every other year with Middle Fork Aviation in Challis. There are always a bunch of people camped at the airstrip, and there are a bunch of people a mile upstream at the Flying B. We hike in a few miles. Like the others, we never see huge deer, but there are lots of small legal bucks.

Ditto the other comments on the weather. We have suffered extreme cold, literally -20, as well as daytime temps in the low 50's.

The road to sleeping deer has been closed to truck traffic....

A Portion of Sleeping Deer Road Closed to Full Size Vehicles 8-5-11

A portion of the Sleeping Deer road #40086 has been closed to full size vehicles because of a road slump about nine miles beyond Twin Peaks saddle according to Middle Fork District Ranger Chris Grove. A cool wet spring with heavy rains caused a fill slope failure leaving a narrow strip of road that is only passable for ATVs and motorcycles.

The Middle Fork District has placed ?road closed? signs at Twin Peaks Saddle and again at the last good turn around about ? mile before the road failure. Middle Fork District Ranger Chris Grove said, ?The hazard, besides the risk of further road collapse, is that if someone goes around the barricade and then decides they cannot negotiate the road failure, it is nearly a mile of backing up to the nearest turn around.? He also noted that if people take ATVs or motorcycle beyond the slumped section, further road failures could close the road completely. The Sleeping Deer road continues about 15 miles beyond where the road failure ends.

Because of the need to repair other road failures on forest road systems and other important forest projects the Salmon-Challis NF road crew will probably not be able to work on the Sleeping Deer road problem until mid-September.

Check with the FS before you go.
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

Dont forget to buy your wolf tag. There are plenty of them in there. I think between two camps we say about sixteen im one day and they were definately different wolves. On pack on one side of the river and one on the other.

As far as deer, there is plenty as they say but the 160-170 plus are very very far and few between.

Definately be in shape if you plan on going up but there is always legal bucks off the river trails too.

Well we are planing on flying into Thomas Creek and will see what happens from there. I am excited and can't wait. Should be a good time.

The "Salt" fire has reached the portion of unit 27 at Meyer cove and Camas creek. The fire continues to move south and west. Mandatory evacuation is taking place up and down Panther creek road. The fire has burned over 15,000 acres.
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom